1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Power problem

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by tom_s, 24 Dec 2005.

1. tom_s

tom_s What's a Dremel?

Recently my computer just seems to randomly switch itself off.

I see a BSOD for a fraction of a second and then the computer reboots.

It's hapenning a lot more often now and I don't know what could be causing it?

Could it be a faulty PSU? I'm using a generic one that came with my case right now.

I also have a really old hard drive.

Faulty RAM?

2. hitman012

hitman012 Minimodder

RAM or PSU - both cause this sort of error. However, from what you're seeing, it appears to be the RAM. If you're on XP (if not, why not?) right click My Computer>Properties, head along to the Advanced tab and then under "Startup and Recovery", click "Settings". Uncheck "Automatically restart" and you should get the full BSOD next time it happens rather than a quick reboot. Post back what it says if it does happen again.

In the meantime, download and run HCI memtest for a good few hours until it hits at least 500%. Any errors within this window are not acceptable, and indicate either bad RAM or incorrect configuration. Are you overclocked at all?

3. Rh1n0x

Rh1n0x What's a Dremel?

What hitman said. 99% chance.
    1% chance that it's your harddrive.
    I once had BSOD's and reboot problems on a k7s5a amd board because the hdd-molex cable was fooked. Might wanna check

4. tom_s

tom_s What's a Dremel?

I just purchased a new PSU, graphics card and hard drive (un related to this problem, orderred before the power problem became a recurring issue).

I'm also installing a clean copy of Windows XP, when it's finished I'll run the above program and see the results.

I'd be quite concerned if it is the RAM, it's the second stick I have bought for this computer since I built it that would have gone wrong :/

Anyway, thanks for your help. :)