1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

A/V Wharfedale Zaldek 1000's and Logitech Z-5500.

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by WaLLaWaLLa92, 5 Jan 2006.

1. WaLLaWaLLa92

WaLLaWaLLa92 What's a Dremel?

Ok , so at the moment i have the logitech Z-5500 5.1 surround sound system :
    # Total RMS power: 505 watts RMS

* Satellites: 317 watts RMS (2 x 62 W front, 2 x 62 rear, 69 W center)
    * Subwoofer: 188 watts RMS

# Total Peak power: 1010 watts
    # Maximum SPL: >115 dB
    # Frequency response: 33 Hz — 20 kHz
    # Amplifier: Ultra-linear, high-capacity analog
    # Signal to noise ratio: >93.5 dB, typical 100
    # Input impedance: 8,000 ohms

What i am trying to find out Is , i really want to replace the four Satellite speakers , but keep the small center satellite. mainly bcus i think the sub overpowers the satellites and it just has more potential than it is using and could sound better , without paying the world. I basically want to replace the four satellites with 4x Wharfedale Zaldek 1000' single woofer speakers:
    #

High-output tower loudspeaker
    #

8" polycarbonate laminate bass driver
    #

Wired internally with premium Monster XP speaker cable for superior signal integrity
    #

Heavy-duty MDF cabinet construction
    #

Horn midrange and horn tweeter
    #

Recommended amplifier power 20W-175W
    #

Nominal imp. 6 ohm (suitable for 8 ohm amplifier)
    #

Sensitivity (for 2.83v at 1m) 90dB
    #

Frequency range at -6dB: 35Hz to 23kHz
    #

Crossover frequencies 2kHz & 7kHz

Overall including everything i am trying to power off , my amp is 505 watt , but 1010 RMS and with all speakers included (that i want to power) roughly it comes to about 880w , my question is wud a new amp be worth looking at? or would using my 505 w mayB scrape through , im not to sure being a n00b. Also if a new amp is advisable should i go 4 the route of getting a seperate amp just to power the 4 wharfedale's using a splitter , so roughly around 400-500w ish and then use my built in amp to power center and sub , kinda pointless , but hey. Thanks.

2. chiggyman

chiggyman Banned

FOAD

Just save your money, stop wasting it on expensive pointless speakers. Most people would fall over at how loud the Z-5550 is so just FOAD, your room isn't Wembley Stadium you dont need like 2kw of speakers for it. Be happy with you've got, just FOAD.

3. dom_

dom_ --->

now volume doesnt = good sound quality (sq)
    and watts = nothing

for better sound you would be looking at an amp to control the lot. (seperate from the bass unlike the logitech).
    try not to mix speakers. its always best to get the same brand/range as they will all sound the same (i guess you could get any bass though).

edit: also as you will be listening mostly to cd dont bother if the speakers dont go over 20khz as you wont get any info above this.
    as you have a sub just get speakers that go down to its pickup point.

4. Tim S

Tim S OG

Troll anymore and you'll be locked on the other side of the door for a week sonny Jim. :nono:

5. WaLLaWaLLa92

WaLLaWaLLa92 What's a Dremel?

Well OKEY ****ING DOKILY then.

6. Firehed

Firehed Why not? I own a domain to match.

Logitech explicitly say that trying to replace speakers with nonstandard ones could result in damage of sorts. Surely you could just turn down the sub a bit... I personally don't feel it overpowers the sats, but I rarely get to crank up beyond 25% volume (which is still respectably powerful). Late at night, I do set the sub very low as it really carries, and my family is extremely sensitive - with how much you can turn it down, I'd think you should be able to find a good "balance".

Of course, I'm using a card with DDL encoding, so it may work out differenly for me. However I seem to remember it being a similar effect with standard analog connections.

However, they're 505w RMS (1010w PMPO), so you WOULD kill the amp within the sub trying to drive a quartet of 200w sats at high volume. Or logic would indicate as much to me. As dom_ notes, it really only relates to actual power comsumption, and the pmpo rating is utterly useless except to make sure a fast-blowing fuse/breaker isn't going to blow/trip if you hit the peak.