1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

So what's the difference? Emo, Punk, Alternative, Ska, Goth, etc...

Discussion in 'General' started by kickarse, 6 Jan 2006.

1. kickarse

kickarse What's a Dremel?

I keep reading about these emo kids. But I come from an, ahem, older generation where kids that acted like that were considered punk ska.

So what's the difference? Help me define! heh... :wallbash:

2. Hybr1d

Hybr1d Bаnned

thankyou for this thread! I'm a current gen kid myself, a trusty G5/XBOX/DVD5 if you like, but don't have a clue about all this sh! I like music, I buy it, I listen to it. &%$@ me if some new band/genre is "in", I like my music 'cause I do, not because everyone else does!

</confused_semi-rant>

3. Sam0r

Sam0r It's been a while

What exactly are you asking here?

4. Tibby

Tibby Back Once Again

Were all geeks so there's no difference :p

j/k

I think there is so many groups so there can be a LOAD of insults and conflict.

It mostly happens when bands want to stand out, so they make their own genre to be the first :p

5. Atomic

Atomic Gerwaff

Stereotypical view:

Emo - www.myspace.com ther all on there.
    Punk - huge mohawks, studded leather jackets etc...
    Alternative - rockers (?)
    Ska - twotone ska
    (Ska-Punk) - mix twotone with punk and make it slightly less violent)
    Goth - the vampire-wannabes

(No offence to anyone who thinks there in those, was a general p*ss take)

6. webbyman

webbyman Hax.

well i skateboard and theres alot of gangstars, fair few punks e.c.t

never get confused, just because people skateboard doesn't mean they are 'greebow' punk, emo, greebow e.c.t

anyway... a big part of it is judged on what they listen, and it's usually ovious what they wear..

emo fags : dyed black hair usually, fringe over their face, gay clothes, like black, like cutting them selfs and enjoy being depressed well the ones around here are..

punks: crazy hair or long hair, leather, tiger skin,dr.martins, old fashionable clothes, tatoos, piercing, tight trousses e.c.t
    favorite past time for them is drinking day or night most carry a spair can or two... :thumb: real wasters lol

alternative easyest way to say it is: coldplay everyone knows them not much of an impact on real life e.g not crazy mofo clothes or anything odd, you proberly won't notice it much by how they act and what they wear that much.... *although is prooven to make you depressed if you listen, i'd agree*

goths: errm... basically most people veiw them as weirdos... love black, long hair funky hair colours, peircings tattooos e.c.t.......................

7. guy

guy What's a Dremel?

Emo: emotional, newest trend of wouldbe rockers, high pitched squealing voices, dark hair/clothes, prone to crying. Emotional over living, dealing with life, ect... music about suicide, death, family, lost love. More vocals than instrumental, generally either more fast/slow paced than your ordinary song. Kinda like the people either very over emotional or under emotional, no moderation in their emotion. www.myspace.com the kid with his hair going sideways over his forehead.

Punk:
    old school rockers, studs/chains, large mohawks, 80s/early 90s, tatoos, leather, zippers. Mainly very hard-core rock.

Alternative:
    very toned down in comparision to the rest. Regular main stream rock music. Generally the rock you would hear on the radio on the way to work. A wide variety of typical people listen to alternative. Nothing really distinct about the way they dress or act. Music about anything really, not really known for it's content just for it's a-typical sound (an even distribution of vocals/instrumental).

Ska:
    two toned, crazy party guys, usually some funky checkered clothing, music with different instruments like trumpets/trombones/tubas/ect along with the typical guitars and drums. Less hard core on the yelling but very fast paced music. Music is more silly than serious or emotional. Pretty much came off of punkers who didn't want to be soo punk like and just have a good time. Music about partying, random things, more random things. Very distinct funky sound. Almost like circus music.

Goths: lots of black clothing, usually political about music. I don't really know much else.

also im sure www.urbandictionary.com would have some interesting classifications on all this.

8. DreamTheEndless

DreamTheEndless Gravity hates Bacon

If you have to ask......

You'll never know

9. Hamish

Hamish What's a Dremel?

it doesnt matter what the difference is, all you have to know is they all suck :p :D

10. slater

slater Mummy Says Im Special

what you have to understand is they all merge together and theres no set criteria for each group. For example some say to be a punk you need a green mohawk, dr martins and a studded jacket but others think punks are anyone who wears Vans trainers insted of Nike! i guess it depends on the viewpoint.

11. Hybr1d

Hybr1d Bаnned

:jawdrop:

Punk - Lagwagon & The Offspring pwn! :rock:

Ska - Funny as **** heard of Reel Big Fish?

Alternate - Everyone likes alternate right?

What do you listen to Hamish?

12. Shadowed_fury

Shadowed_fury Minimodder

So true.
    I listen to various metal. But I don't have long hair, any tattoos etc... <sarcasm> omg. </sarcasm>

13. acron^

acron^ ePeen++;

This thread is destined for doom.

Just wait for the enlightenment from K :cooldude:

Last edited: 7 Jan 2006
  14. Will

Will Beware the judderman...

Here's a question....why does it really matter? :)

It does my head in, the arguments you see some people having (usually on the internet)...'oh band x is not death metal lol, how dumb are you, they're black metal' or 'thats not hardcore, thats emocore'. Whats the point of getting so hung up over genres, why does it actually matter? I like music but see little point in arguing over it in such a way, sure genres are useful to generalise but the pedantry displayed by some over pigeon holing bands makes no sense to me.

Last edited: 7 Jan 2006
  15. K

K 528491

I'll play both sides for your emo confusion if you like:

Emo Stereotype: Generally younger people into pop-punk-esque music about heartbreak, despair and general teen-angst. It involves a lot of screaming juxtaposed with off-key singing. The boys wear tight jeans (either drainpipes or just girl's jeans), a tight band shirt and wear their hair in all manner of floppy teased fashions. As long as the fringe covers one eye, it's all good. Dyed black. The girls wear, well, practically the exact same things.
    Stereotypical Emo Bands: From First To Last, Fall Out Boy, My Chemical Romance, Atreyu, Aiden, Taking Back Sunday etc.

Emo Stalwarts: Generally of an older generation that will adamently claim that emo is simply emotive-hardcore and has nothing to do with the current 'emo trend'. Hardcore-punk played in minors and with introspective lyrics. The genre has had so many changes many claim that it's simply something that's been post-humously invented to annoy the current 'emo kids'. Although there is a very distinctive sound to a lot of the more aggressive 'screamo' music that is still being played an awful lot to this day. There is no stereotypical 'dress code'.
    Original Emo Bands: Rites of Spring, Fugazi, Moss Icon, Mohinder, Heroin, Swing Kids, Cap'N Jazz, etc.

This really does apply to most genres listed. Real punks don't dress up in leather and have big mohicans, they doss around in whatever they can find and mooch off the state getting as trashed as they can. Real goths aren't dolled up in white and black makeup and leather trench-coats listening to black-metal, they're sat at home in a nice sweater looking meek and pasty whilst waiting for the Bauhaus reunion tour.

Basically, genres are extremely useful things for describing the vast amounts of music out there... But when you start applying them to people, the above happens. i.e. It all gets a bit silly and pointless.

16. heelan

heelan bow tie enthusiast

Lol, from one of the definitions of "emo" on urbandictionary.com:

girlfriend: C'mon, lets have sex.
    boyfriend: I'm too sad to have sex.
    girlfriend: I'm sad too; lets have sex and cry.
    boyfriend: I'm already crying.

17. :: kna ::

:: kna :: POCOYO! Moderator

Coming from K, I'm not putting that in my sig... that's going on my god damn GRAVESTONE!

18. slater

slater Mummy Says Im Special

girls are hot tho! :D

19. Hybr1d

Hybr1d Bаnned

What type of girls? :confused:

Everyone knows girls are hot! :hehe:

20. speedfreek

speedfreek What's a Dremel?

:hehe:

Not all girls, saw one today that looked terrible :eeek:
    But in general your right.