1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

A/V AE Aego M Problems!

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by D4VID, 11 Jan 2006.

1. D4VID

D4VID What's a Dremel?

I decided to invest in a nice set of 2.1 speakers. After reading many reviews, I settled on the Acoustic Energy Aego M.

They arrived today, so I carefully unpacked them and connected all the necessary cables.

Upon plugging it in, the sub started to hum very loudly, followed by a horrible screech from the satallite speakers. This was before I even switched on the system with the dial on the front of the sub. I immediately disconnected, checked soundcard settings, minimised pc volume and disabled microphone and all other audio inputs. Plugged it back in, then switched it on for the first time, all was fine and I played a song, very impressed with the sound for about two minutes, at which time the nasty feedback/resonance noise returned worse than before and I had to switch it off. I have not been able to switch it on since without the horrific resonance/feedback hum occuring.

I have tried disconnecting/reconnecting both satallites together and individually, disconnecting the source and finally plugging the sub into the mains all on its own with no other cables connected to it. The hum remains in all situations, albiet quietest with the sub on its own, with the power switch in the off position. The hum gets significantly worse if you switch it on or if any of the cables are connected.

I suspected interference as I have a wireless network and digital cordless telephones in the area. I have tried switching off the computer and all other electrical devices in the vicinity (including wireless network and cordless phones) and I have tried multiple power sockets, however the loud hum remains in all situations. I practically turned off every electrical device in the house and the problem still persisted :wallbash:.

This was all very disappointing because I was looking forward to listening to it all day! It also certainly feels like a good quality product, being very solidly built.

Any ideas as to what would cause these symptoms? I suspect I will probably have to return it.

2. ozstrike

ozstrike yip yip yip yip

Is the power transformer near the sub?
    That causes interference in my speakers

3. D4VID

D4VID What's a Dremel?

The power supply for the unit must be integrated because there isn't an external transformer. As I said before, I have tried it i multiple locations and with all other electrical devices switched off so hopefully I have ruled out interference. I think it must be faulty.

4. dom_

dom_ --->

sounds faulty to me.
    make sure all cables are fully pushed in first though then contact them and get an rma going.

5. D4VID

D4VID What's a Dremel?

I have contacted them already, it goes back with the courier tomorrow.

6. D4VID

D4VID What's a Dremel?

Replacement set arrived today and on first listen they are...superb. Highly recommended if you're in the market for some, as long as you don't get a duff set!

Listening to tracks I've heard a hundred times before, I hear new things I never heard before!

I'm now worried about disturbing the neighbours with this sub, even at modest volumes :D.