News Adult industry leader goes with Blu-Ray

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by WilHarris, 17 Jan 2006.

1. WilHarris

WilHarris Just another nobody Moderator

2. BlueDemon

BlueDemon What's a Dremel?

Pun intended? :naughty:

3. mclean007

mclean007 Officious Bystander

Interesting development. I, for one, will definitely not be purchasing a high def player until the dust has settled and one or other format has emerged the clear victor. Technically, Blu-ray looks superior, but the media is said to be more expensive to produce. And, of course, MS has thrown its weight behind HDDVD thanks to its managed copy capabilities.

Will be interesting to see how this pans out, but I'd say at this stage it looks like another nail in the coffin. After all, the inarguably technically superior Betamax format was pretty effectively killed when the adult industry lined up behind VHS.

I would also not be at all surprised to see multi-format compatible players which support both blu-ray and HDDVD, as well as CD, DVD, DVD-A and SACD. This is a definite possibility given that the discs are physically the same size. VHS and Betamax tapes were not, so a multi-format player was not really feasible.

4. MajestiX

MajestiX What's a Dremel?

anyone know when they going to start talking about HVD? i would rather that then either bluray or hddvd

5. rupbert

rupbert What's a Dremel?

@MajestiX

Holographic discs I would suggest are some distance away from becoming commercially viable.

6. Da Dego

Da Dego Brett Thomas

That's already in the works... :)

7. rupbert

rupbert What's a Dremel?

Yeah I think there is a multi-format player due out in a few weeks actually.

8. riggs

riggs ^_^

Hooray for HiDef boobies!

Personally, I don't see myself buying either format for at least 4 or 5 years (basically, until HDTVs are common (and cheaper) here in the UK)...

9. I_Slider_I

I_Slider_I What's a Dremel?

Haha, yeah they really wanted to nail this, make sure everything came out properly. But I'm sure all the help from Microsoft allowed pirates to get a leg up on the compitition. :hip:

10. mclean007

mclean007 Officious Bystander

Definitely. It would have been one in the eye for all concerned if it had been released prematurely. Imagine the embarrassment of a hardware failure in the middle of the action.

11. ozstrike

ozstrike yip yip yip yip

It's quite strange how the support of the adult industry can make or break a format.

12. I_Slider_I

I_Slider_I What's a Dremel?

The cybersex industry generates approximately $1 billion annually and is expected to grow to $5-7 billion over the next 5 years, barring unforeseen change (National Research Council Report, 2002).

The two largest individual buyers of bandwidth are U.S. firms in the adult online industry (National Research Council Report, 3-1, 2002).

The adult industry throws a lot of weight around when it comes to video formats, you have to remember that the main supporter of theaters was the Adult industry. What else would make a silent movie interesting?

13. Nova

Nova What's a Dremel?

its good to see that something good came out of visiting the "other" expo going on the same weekend as CES.... besides the pic of the girl with the bit-tech sign :-D

14. speedfreek

speedfreek What's a Dremel?

Looks like good news for blu ray.

Makes me wonder how much time was spent at the "other" expo.

Tags: Add Tags