1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Modding Bondo Strength....And Queries

Discussion in 'Modding' started by atanum141, 20 Jan 2006.

1. atanum141

atanum141 I fapped to your post!

Lo chaps
    well i got a question about bondo aka body filler...aka whatever its called in different countrys.

i have 2 blowholes in my machine i want to bondo them up completly...can this be done and what could i use to make sure the surface is flat so that i can re-cut into the new flat bondo surface??

and how strong is the stuff??

2. MrWillyWonka

MrWillyWonka Chocolate computers galore!

If you mean cover a blowhole up completely, bes thing to do is get a thin piece of mesh to cover the hole, then bondo it up. It's strong stuff, and stinky (although I used industrial type, which is even stronger and even more stinky)

If you have bumps etc, you can simply use sandpaper to smoothen and flatten it out until it's perfect, overdo it and just add more bondo, it's good stuff.

3. atanum141

yeah thats what i was thinking about...using mesh as a template then slap loads of bondo over it...i would think thin...really thin aluminium should work the same....and yeah ur right about the sandpaper bit.

as i have the current blowholes but i simply not happy with the holes and the screw holes they have....looks like im gonna redo most of my major work....shame...

but how strong is the stuff?? is it as weak as plastic or can it take a fair bit of punishment without flaking up or breaking?

4. MrWillyWonka

MrWillyWonka Chocolate computers galore!

It can take a bit of punishment, but it can chip, so cover it with some paint when done - well you would anyway!

5. atanum141

exactly blud! :D

6. Drexial

Drexial Minimodder

i dont think it would be all that duable in a large flat area, its not so much the strenght of the bondo itself, but how well it is bonded to the case, if your not concerned about how it looks inside, i would make sure its bonded well inside, otherwise you could break the whole peice off the case.

7. Ener

Ener What's a Dremel?

lol i gotta redo my whole front bottom, i totaly bugged my 120 fan hole its kind of round on the top and square on the sides ill post a pic in a sec

8. ARM

ARM Minimodder

9. kiwi-x

kiwi-x What's a Dremel?

I don't know if it's available in all areas, but another option is to use a fibrous body filler (ie. bondo, but with lots of little fiber strands mixed in). Mix and use like any regular body filler, but it doesn't break or chip as easily due to the internal fibrous 'skeleton'

it may be as much as 4 or 5 times the price of regular body filler though

10. atanum141

yeah thats what i have in mind...as well as bonding the outside then inside must be done otherwise it would look wrong and not have the proper strenght to hold any sort of weight.