1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

jarhead *POSSIBLE SPOILERS*

Discussion in 'General' started by pranks7er, 20 Jan 2006.

1. pranks7er

pranks7er mange tout

So what did you think, it was ok but disappointing at smae time, i thought it would shown more action scenes.

2. atanum141

atanum141 I fapped to your post!

thats not the point of the film..its not supposed to be all action..its supposed to be the view on how war changes someone who's on the front line.

but one thing which i must say is outstanding in this film is its soundtrack!!!

3. pranks7er

pranks7er mange tout

yea your right, suppose!

4. Glider

Glider /dev/null

I loved the movie... It gave a nice view on the war in Irak, the uselessness of it actually... And also how one changes during the wait, hmm, I mean war...

5. mookboy

mookboy BRAAAAAAP

Read the book about 2yrs ago I think. Seeing the movie tomorrow. Looks good, although from the trailers and clips it's got a slightly different vibe to the novel version.

6. Spiral Architect

Spiral Architect Cooked on Phonics

Thought it was excellent. Definitely be picking it up when it's out on DVD.

7. atanum141

atanum141 I fapped to your post!

that film is full of jokes....i loved it...espically at training where the sergent asked him weather he found him attractive and how many times his girl was gonna get banged in a space of a month.....hahahahahahaha brilliant!

8. kanuslupus

kanuslupus Minimodder

So, you thought it was good because it presented a POV you agree with?

9. mookboy

mookboy BRAAAAAAP

Um, it's the first Gulf War. Not the current war.

10. Pistol

Pistol Guest

Isn't that why people like movies?

11. kanuslupus

kanuslupus Minimodder

I like movies that are entertaining, and depending on the format, thought provoking (obviously action movies or slapstick comedies aren't going to be particularly thought provoking).

12. Solidus

Solidus Superhuman

Saying something like this is doing nothing but trying to start an argument. But personally i dont mind however movies take things whether i agree or not aslong as it has substance.

Jarhead was good id say, a 6.7/10 ( i give hard scores)

My best movies would be:

The Shawshank Redemption - 9.4/10
    Forrest Gump - 9.5/10
    The Usual Suspects - 9.2/10
    Batman Begins - 8.4/10
    Pirates of the Caribean - 8.2/10

Thats basically how i judge them personally :)

13. Nexxo

Nexxo * Prefab Sprout – The King of Rock 'n' Roll

So you're stating this because it's a POV you don't agree with?

What's your point?

14. supermonkey

supermonkey Deal with it

I have to admit I went into Jarhead with low expectations. I'm not overly big on war movies because I think the vast majority of them just glamorize the gung-ho aspect of running in and killing bad guys.

I have to say that Jarhead far exceeded my expectations. Like someone said above, the movie really isn't about war in general. Jarhead focuses on the psychological effects of preparing a person for war, and the effects of the actual war versus the training the person received.

A lot of the "critics" gave it low reviews. In my opinion, people who didn't like it most likely didn't understand it. I suspect that most of them went in expecting a Rambo-style war movie about killing those evil Arabs*, and completely missed the point of the movie along the way.

I thought it was very good, and very thought-provoking.

-monkey

*The term "evil Arabs" is used here as sarcasm. I do not think Arabs are evil.

We know. Don't worry. :worried: --Nexxo

Last edited by a moderator: 22 Jan 2006
  15. TekMonkey

TekMonkey I enjoy cheese.

It was a terrific movie. I saw it in the theaters with my friend who plans to join the Marines, he kept shouting "Hoorah!" throughout the movie. :hehe:

16. Firehed

Firehed Why not? I own a domain to match.

I went in expecting an action movie, not a drama. While it wasn't at all what I expected (or, for that matter, wanted), I still liked it. Indeed thought-provoking, and quite insightful, while still moderately humorous, and borderline disturbing (the reaction to the guy who pwned himself during training... oh dear)

Is it just coming out over there? I swear I saw it back in September or so...

17. mookboy

mookboy BRAAAAAAP

Really enjoyed it. Not completely convinced about the balance between very funny black humour and thought provoking melodrama, but overall it worked. The first half in particular was extremely funny. The ironic utterance right at the end by the speccy marine, when he burns his uniform saying that the end of the war meant they'd never have to come back to the desert...

[/fires up Battlefield 2]

18. dom_

dom_ --->

saw it at the cinema today thought it was a good film.

how much did you want him to make that last shot?

also the guy with the radio waiting for approval of the shot. he wasnt talking to anyone right?

19. kanuslupus

kanuslupus Minimodder

That wasn't my intent. Based on Glider's comment, it was a genuine question. I agree with you regarding substance though.

See above, and my previous replies.

20. DivineSin

DivineSin What's a Dremel?

Yea, i really wish he would of got to make that last shot. And even though it really wasnt based on the war that is currently/was currently going on (Dunno if it ended? Wasnt really much of a war in the first place...), I think it portrayed a good view of what alot of soldiers might of whent through in their training for this 'War on Terrorism'