1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

scratched cd

Discussion in 'General' started by dannyqball, 20 Jan 2006.

1. dannyqball

dannyqball What's a Dremel?

Don't know if this is the correct thread, I didn't see anything in software or in search on the subject.
    I have a game that has some minor scratches but enough for my pc to not recognize it. What is the best method for buffing out scratches on a cd?

2. KelticFox

KelticFox What's a Dremel?

I have a CD/DVD repairer and that works great!

3. Hybr1d

Hybr1d Bаnned

there's that DiscDocter polisher thingumyjig!

4. dannyqball

Thanks,
    Are they relatively fair priced?

I heard there are home remedies like toothpaste or peanut butter. Probably old wives tailes thought. lol

5. Hybr1d

Hybr1d Bаnned

I've heard toothpaste is good for things like PSP scratches and there might be a chance of it working with CDs but I'd research it before you risk irreversable damage ;)

6. Ramble

Ramble Ginger Nut

Toothpaste does work, if you keep rubbing for a while. I suggest you use a cloth instead of a toothbrush though..
    Brasso or many other types of metal polish also work, if you apply them very very lightly.

Also, if you are an iPod fan (boo), then some iPod screen polisher/scratch remover will also work.

7. DarkInferno

DarkInferno Minimodder

toothpaste is a mild abrasive that can help smooth off the edges of scratches thus allowing the laser to pass through a bit easier without as much diffraction or somthing.

(read as: toothpaste can help a little.)

YMMV.

I have a DiskDoctor thingummy, and it works well (better then toothpaste) don't think it cost that much, but I've had it a fair while so i can't remember the price.

8. kanuslupus

kanuslupus Minimodder

I've tried toothpaste, and it didn't work. Brasso did work, though it took a couple of applications (or I wasn't thorough enough on the first try).

9. Dngrsone

Dngrsone What's a Dremel?

The Disk Doctor was around $30 when I purchased it some six years ago. It has recovered nearly every non-corrupted CD I've used it on (noncorrupted as in the data layer is not damaged). In fact, teh only CD that I couldn't restore with it is one the was used as a hockey puck by the kids.

What also has worked for me is using Isopropyl on a cotton ball... definately low tech, and it will take some effort, but it is the least abrasive method. You want to polish toward and away from the hub

10. Pookeyhead

Pookeyhead It's big, and it's clever.

Go to a car accessory shop, buy some T-Cut, and some of those soft yellow polishing cloths... and polish it until the scratch is reduced enough to make the disc useable, then make a copy.

Before anyone replys with why that's a bad idea, let me just say I've been doing this since 1984, and never once had a problem with it.. plus it works.

11. kanuslupus

kanuslupus Minimodder

A small container of Brasso is probably a ton cheaper, and no less effective. *shrug* To each their own I suppose.

12. dannyqball

Thank you all for your advice, I couldn't find my brasso and a guy I work with suggested car wax, I tried the wax and it worked like a charm.
    Took a little work and was very messy but it worked, the cd is now back in working condition and shiney as a mirror.
    Thanks again :rock:

13. tm36usa

tm36usa What's a Dremel?

Just make sure you burn a copy and save it somewhere incase this happens again

14. dannyqball

Not quite sure I can burn this game, tried with a friends before I got my copy and it didn't work. I guess I can always find another copy although they are rare in these parts.

15. Dngrsone

Dngrsone What's a Dremel?

D-skins rock--- just have to peel it off and replace when you scratch it.

16. 731|\|37

731|\|37 ESD Engineer in Training

wouldn't novus poly scratch remover work on CDs? I mean disk doctor stuff has to be the cheap stuff with a pretty face.

< hijack>
    so how wel does polycarbonate take temperature fluctuations?
    < /hijack>

17. LockmanX

LockmanX What's a Dremel?

Another things you might try is asking a video store (like blockbuster) to help you out with their re-surfacing machine. Not all of em have one and not all of those that do will help but if you can find someone, surely the best method. Someone scratched the crap out of one of my BF2 cd's and the local BB helped me out.

18. Andromeda

Andromeda What's a Dremel?

Wow... I should try these tips.. thanks

19. padrejones2001

padrejones2001 Puppy Love

I heard from somebody a while back that creamy peanut butter works. Don't take my word for it, though, as I've never tried it.

20. 731|\|37

731|\|37 ESD Engineer in Training

has ben said, but I odnt know what pb would do to fix a scratch in polycarbonate. il sit down with my chem teacher and fire a few questions on monday this has me interested now