1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Project Soylent Green: 2006 FIN:

Discussion in 'Project Logs' started by modsquad, 19 Oct 2004.

1. Firehed

Firehed Why not? I own a domain to match.

Funny, my A8N-SLI-D doesn't have one. Oh well; I'd really question whether it helps anyways.

2. customh

customh conflagration.

true story, a very little bit id guess, another gimmick

3. modsquad

modsquad Grease Monkey Undergraduate..

Sorry guys. I should have shot a few MB "backside pictures. Here they are:
    [​IMG]
    It is very thin when compaired to the orginal version of Stack Cool..
    [​IMG]
    As for just how well it works..Can't say..

4. modsquad

Thanks for the Cuplex Pro tip..I guess I just don't really like the look of the Cuplex XT..
    As for the photos. Yes I use a Canon EOS 20D and a Canon 24-70L wideangle zoom lens..You can get some "very film like" photos with an SLR..I hate to take "boring-flat" pictures..
    I am always playing with F/stop and ISO when I shoot. Heres is some EXIF information:
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]
    Nice clean picture@ ISO1600..

5. Zds

Zds What's a Dremel?

Ok, *now* you made me jealous :D. Noise that low with ISO1600, drool.

6. htm_elle

htm_elle What's a Dremel?

Gotta love the DIGIC II processors :rock:

7. Zds

Zds What's a Dremel?

Yeah! But DIGIC II is not all that counts here, it's mostly the high quality sensor that makes that impressive photos at ISO1600.

But even with less expensive sensor (like one in my Powershot 620) DIGIC II is nice, especially since it's *fast*. For modding pictures I use tripod anyway so I can shoot at ISO50, but the slowness of my old camera frustrated me while DIGIC II is already there when I figure out what to do ;). I just love it.

8. Top Nurse

Top Nurse Minimodder

9. Firehed

Oh dear... that could get amusing. I personally use the small holes to hang it off the knob on my desk's shelf door with a metal shower curtain ring. And then I make sure that the dilemma doesn't occur, as I know where it is :)

10. Top Nurse

Top Nurse Minimodder

I have been getting caught up on my reading here and I am somewhat confused. What is the new ASUS board going into?

11. modsquad

In this project..Soylent Green. I gave-up on all things ATI and CrossFire in favor of SLI and the monolith that is Nvidia..
    PS: The best thing I ever purchased from AC was the MultiTool..Form and Function at it's best..

Zds and htm_elle:
    The Canon EOS 20D is a great camera. Pictures over the last year where taken with a Digital Rebel a good SLR, but no match for the 20D in build quality as well as photographic ability..Also, I switched from a Sigma EX24-70mm to a Canon 24-70Lmm lens, same f-stop (2.8) but MUCH better resolving-power..I will not go on-and-on about photography, it's the wrong forum for that..BUT the Canon EOS 20D/24-70L lens/580EX-Speedlite is a wonderful "kit"..I love it.. BUt if you do the math, I have spent $2000US plus on this gear, it SHOULD be good.. :thumb:

12. ShadowWings

ShadowWings What's a Dremel?

Nice motherboard you have there. I hope to get that one also in a couple of weeks.

Also I got a question I'm going to watercool my new rig, what type of Aqua Computer waterblock do I need for a Nvidia Geforce 7800GT? Hope you guys (as Aqua Computer Experts) can help me with this problem.

13. Top Nurse

Top Nurse Minimodder

Please post a pic to the [H]ardForum thread. :)

14. Firehed

Meh, I can't be arsed to register there. I'll send you a pic if you wanna post it though.

15. Top Nurse

Top Nurse Minimodder

Okey dokey :D

16. jokkos

jokkos too busy to mod *sigh*

Shadow, AC has the aquagraFX for 6800 LE and 7800 GT (link). You can also get the Twinplex Pro (I think there's a version that would fit a 7800GT), but then you would of course need to do something seperate for the ram blocks.

(I'm not pretending to be a real AC expert though, so if someone could double check... :thumb: )

17. Firehed

I'm fairly confident that you are correct there. The 6800/GT/Ultra/7800GT/GTX boards all have the same core and memory layout; the only difference being the presence of and/or location of the voltage regulation chips (present on the 6800GT/Ultra and 7800GTX). The only difference between the waterblocks is whether it has a cooler for those chips, and how far out it is from the rest of the cooling parts.

So in short, the "6800 LE" block should fit both the "vanilla" 6800 card as well as a 7800GT. A Twinplex Pro actually wouldn't work, since it's too thin to let you use effective ramsinks underneath it (a normal Twinplex would work, and if the cooler hasn't changed much from the 6-series, you can leave on the stock ram cooler as it's not attached).

That's my personal experience anyways. To be completely honest, I'd suggest getting the "6800 LE" block regardless, that way you don't have to worry about compatibility provided the core and ram layout doesn't change. I hacked off the voltage reg part of my normal 6800 block for that reason (and because I killed a card mounting that section wrong; the stock heatsink over there works fine)

18. ShadowWings

ShadowWings What's a Dremel?

Thanks for al your info and input, you have help me a good deal further in the watercooled heaven.

19. modsquad

misc. update

I managed to get some work (so-called) done on the project over the weekend. A-little of this and a-little of that..The Misc. Update follows.
    First off, I painted the heatpipe of the Asus A8N32-SLI Deluxe motherboard. The bare copper of the heatpipe offended my eye. I went to the auto-parts store looking for a flat black "high-temp" paint, but was surprised to find:
    [​IMG]
    color is "grabber-green"..
    [​IMG]
    I have no idea what you would want to paint on a cars engine this color, but for this project it is perfect..
    [​IMG]
    Odd painting instructions with this stuff. It dries to the touch in 15 minutes, but a second or third coat must be applied within an hour or you need to wait 7 days for the paint to cure and then start over..
    [​IMG]
    the color is a good match for the theme, and should look good against the black MB.
    [​IMG]
    Next: More idea than fact at this point in time. With the addition of a second video cardcooler in the loop, I wonder if the Aqua-Computer AquaStream pump is up to the task. The size of this case rules out dual pumps or radiators or loops. BUT, I could use a Eheim 1048 in it's place (well perhaps)..
    The AC AquaStream is a 12v version of the Eheim 1046..79GPH h20-flow
    the Eheim 1048..158GPH h20-flow, but at a price...Size:
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    But as I have a chrome plated AC 1048 Full Metal Jacket, I decided to do a little "mock-up".
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]
    Every time I look at this case, it seems to get smaller and smaller...
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]
    I need to get the Asus MB in to say for sure, but it looks "tight" to say the least..
    Next, some more chrome to look at:
    [​IMG]
    the pioneer DVD burner..It opens and closes and reads and seeks.. :thumb:
    [​IMG]
    I also played the the AC hard drive cooler and it's SATA HD..
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    Lastly, some real work. The side window:
    The side window will actually be two windows. An inner (clear acrylic) and an outer (green acrylic) one. The green outer window will sit high enough (about half it's thickness) above the side panel to show it's edge. This is the same thing I did with the top window. It gives a nice "glow" from the cut-edge of the green UV acrylic..
    I cut a panel of clear acrylic to size and taped it in place to get my marks for the mounting holes needed.
    [​IMG]
    then tap the holes to accept the 4mm hexhead bolts.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    Then start cutting the green outer window to fit.. :dremel:
    [​IMG]
    this took quite some time...
    Then go back and bolt-up the inner window:
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    No time to tap&bolt-up the outer window in this update. It will have to wait for another day. Until then:
    [​IMG]

20. htm_elle

htm_elle What's a Dremel?

Overclocking the Aquastream

Can't you overclock the aquastream to increase the flowrate?