1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

ATI Drivers

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by DaHoboFest, 24 Aug 2004.

1. DaHoboFest

DaHoboFest Banned

So, what ATI drivers give you the best performance? proven with 3dmark03. Are catylist the same thing?

2. Austin

Austin Minimodder

:) Catalyst (or CAT for short) is the name of ATI's driver package which covers all of their Radeon based cards. The best ones are the latest official ones from their website, currently CAT4.8. If you own an X800 card and play Doom III then the beta-CAT4.9 are the best. If you want extras included the Omega drivers (not from ATI) are the best (IMHO).

3. Highland3r

Highland3r Minimodder

Best performance and proven by 03 are different things. Different drivers are better for benchmarks and games. The older drivers suit 01 mark better, and the newer ones tend to 03. If you are going 03 benchmarking, then IIRC the 4.8's are the best. The older 3.8's (or modded 3.2's) are best for 01 benching however. If you want good alround performance go for the 4.8's or the omegas as Austin said.

4. DaHoboFest

DaHoboFest Banned

hey, so i think i may have 4.7, ato install 4.8's do i have to uninstall 4.7s?

5. Xen0phobiak

Xen0phobiak SMEGHEADS!

no need to uninstall, allthough ati do provide a tool for doing so on their website.

6. Austin

Austin Minimodder

:) If you switch from ATI's CATs to the Omegas then it's recommended to uninstall ATI's control panel to avoid any possible conflicts. Certainly no need to uninstall the driver although it won't hurt if you want to be thorough. If you go Omega be sure to check the Readme file before installing.

7. Lowtryx

Lowtryx What's a Dremel?

My Catalyst drivers simply won't run some games (Battlefield 2, for example).

I hate this, I'm using my old Radeon 9200 128DRR while I wait for my Geforce 7800 GTX 512DDR3 :(

8. hitman012

hitman012 Minimodder

Please create a new thread instead of bumping one that's over a year and a half old. By the way, running Battlefield 2 on a 9200 is pretty pointless. My friend struggles with a 9800 Pro.

9. yodasarmpit

yodasarmpit Modder

A 9200 and BF2 don't really go, but I have heard that if you change AGP from 8x to 4x it will play.

10. Lowtryx

Lowtryx What's a Dremel?

First off, Hitman the general forum etiquette I've observed is to use the search engine first, and thus I do so. I apologize for any inconvieniance, but what good would a thread that says,
    "My Catalyst Drivers won't run Battlefield........." possibly do? :)

11. pingthepiratehobo

pingthepiratehobo What's a Dremel?

not much good, besides saying that your drivers are not the problem, and are probably trying to stop your computer from being depressed at only being able to run bf2 at 8fps with half the textures missing