1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

HTPC Computer monitor as HDTV?

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by greatslack, 1 Feb 2006.

1. greatslack

greatslack What's a Dremel?

I'm not sure if this is the correct forum to post this in but it seemed the best fit for my query. Anywho, I was wondering is there anyway to switch a component signal to DVI or VGA for use on a computer monitor? I have a Dell 2005fpw (that's 20" widescreen, 1680x1050 native res, basically the dell equivalent of the 20" apple cinema display) and because I live in a dorm, I dont have room for a seperate TV. So the monitor serves as my tv and computer monitor, and pretty well considering it has composite(RCA), s-video, vga, and dvi inputs, and I have a tv tuner for watching regular TV. But, as you see, there is no component input, which effectively cuts me off from my monitor as a HDTV for console gaming. So all this build up to ask one simple question:

Is there anyway (preferably a cheap solution) to take the component output from a console (or anything else for that matter) and switch it to a DVI or VGA signal for use with my monitor?

2. Cabe

Cabe What's a Dremel?

3. greatslack

Thanks a lot. 60 bucks is a bit more than I was hoping to pay but at least it's cheaper than a HDTV. :D

4. greatslack

5. Captain Slug

Captain Slug Infinite Patience

Yes component plugs are the same plug type as RCA Composite. So you could make your own RGB component to VGA cable by stealing the connector ends from an RCA Composite cable set and the only difference would be incorrect color-coding on the cable ends.

6. Firehed

Firehed Why not? I own a domain to match.

That should work, but I have no idea if the 2005FPWs support sync-on-green (I have one myself, and want to do the same thing). If you pick one up and it works, do let me know.

Other option is trying to pawn off the 2005fpw and save for the 24" model, which has component video in.

7. greatslack

Alright I'm going to go out on a limb and buy the cable. If it works or not, I'll let you know in about a week or so, whenever it gets here. Wish me luck!!

(BTW Someone owes me $25 if it doesnt work) :D

8. Firehed

Much thanks. I'm sick of S-video for my DVD player. Even low-quality Xvid recodes (700MB for the full movie) over the DVI from the computer look a lot better than the S-video/DVD player imo, and I have all my recodes done at lossless settings.

9. greatslack

OK the cable is scheduled to come in monday, check back then or tuesday and I'll have the results...

10. greatslack

speedy delivery on that cable, now I'm just waiting on the component cable to get here from nintendo.

11. jakenbake

jakenbake full duplex

ok, if i want to take the same monitor he has (dell 2005fpw) and watch HDTV, is it possible? i would go coaxial -> cable box -> dvi port on back of cable box to my dvi port on monitor. would this work?

12. greatslack

jakenbake, there's no reason that wouldn't work, grab the dvi cable that came with the monitor and try it out! The only reason it wouldnt work is if there is some kind of copy protection crap on DVI I'm not aware of.

13. Coelacanth

Coelacanth What's a Dremel?

Okay, I’m going to use this thread for my own benefit... So my monitor is capable of displaying 1280x720. But since my monitor is just the standard 4:3, it just scrunches up horizontally until the picture fits the screen. Is there something I can do, or a box that will do it for me so that it will change the screen size to what it should actually be (as in terms of width to height)? Well, other than just re-sizing the window, and measuring it...

And just so you know, I have a CRT, no fancy LCD for me...

14. greatslack

Well the easy answer, since it's CRT, is to fool around with the little horizontal/vertical adjustments until it's the right ratio. :D Other than that, maybe look on google for some sort of tool.

15. Superlunchbox

Superlunchbox What's a Dremel?

Hey greatslack, if your solution doesn't work, PM me. I have an adapter that goes from DVI to RedGreenBlue. I'll let it go for fairly cheap, maybe even free if you have something for trade.

16. greatslack

well the cables all finally got here (UPS!!! :grr: ) and the system does work.... sort of. It reminds me a lot of the original Game Boy, black and white, except green. Apparently the cable I got only reads the green cable for some reason, but otherwise everything is hi-def and progressive scan.

17. Firehed

Odd, that almost sounds more like a miswiring issue than something with Sync-on-green. Though not knowing a whole lot on the subject, I can't say for sure. At least we know that it doesn't seem to work, though, just for the record.

18. alka_a

alka_a What's a Dremel?

Tags: