1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

A/V Logitech Z-5500 replacement Sub

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by chiggyman, 24 Feb 2006.

1. chiggyman

chiggyman Banned

Recently I broke the subwoofer in my Z-5500 surround, the amp still works, but just the bass output is none existant. I contacted logitech and they send me an entirely new system, with new control panel, new set of satelittes, everything. So now i effectively 2 surroudn systems, but one with new bass output, logitech do not want me to send anything back. So i am looking to replace to sub, which seems to be fairly easy to buy, a 10inch sub of ebuyer is about £25. But i just cant get the old sub out at all, it just seems impossible. If anyone has this sub setup or has taken one apart could you give me some hints how to get the damn sub out.

2. ozstrike

ozstrike yip yip yip yip

Have you got any decent close-up pictures of the enclosure? How far have you got with opening the box?

3. Tibby

Tibby Back Once Again

if you do go along with this, please post a worklog,

it would make an amazingly interesting read!

4. chiggyman

chiggyman Banned

Heres some pictures of the opened up sub. I got into it by removing the amp off the back. There are 4 screws on the front of the sub, which i've removed but they've actually done nothing and even with 2 screwdrivers prising it off, its only damaging the wood enclosure. The only solution i can think off at the moment is buy a new sub with enclosure and then put the amp into that but to be honest it would be better to but a new sub in the logitech enclosure. It seems like the sub might be screwed to a baffle and then glued to the enclosure, in which case there's no way its coming out, not sure though yet.

[​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

Last edited: 24 Feb 2006
  5. dom_

dom_ --->

You need to pop the grill off. Don't know how you can do this but it needs to come off. Underneath it will be the screws holding the driver to the enclosure. It will be screwed from the front.

Last edited: 24 Feb 2006
  6. Seth

Seth What's a Dremel?

if its anything like the other logitech speakers the front part is not the actual speaker. its just moves with the bass.

7. Firehed

Firehed Why not? I own a domain to match.

How funny; I did just the opposite. I nuked the control pod and they didn't make me send the old sub back. It's now a sixty-pound stand :p

Yeah, that front grill definately doesn't come off. I wanted to play around with my working-but-useless one, but unscrewing the bolts did nothing at all. I'd bet they're mostly decorative and that it's screwed in from the inside as well somehow. I'd rather like to know what goes with what on the input signal connector for some dual-200w bass or something else fun.

8. kosoku

kosoku What's a Dremel?

i guess my driver on my z5500 failed the other day ;(
    Man im miserable without my sound ,

anyone had a z5500 driver (Aka subwoofer faill) And get a new one ?
    will call in tommorow see what they will do , had it for 2 years and couple months ,

anyone think ill get a new one sent ? to me or ?

im also looking into a CAR woofer to put in there as a replacement Havent decided yet ,
    Got a few options ,

<Go figures Also the z5500 is on sale where i live in aswell >

you can remove the Grillz , then the sub after

Oh and that Grill just pops off , you have to bind a screw driver to the edge of the grill to take it off all around (pry out And has lil glue around so the first time you take it off will be harder r) , removing the 4 screws will not do nothing

Last edited: 25 Feb 2008
  9. 1ad7

1ad7 What's a Dremel?

they sent you a whole new system.... for free.... holy hell.. hmm maybe my sub is gonna be on the way out :p

10. kosoku

kosoku What's a Dremel?

They dont want to warranty it cause of my pid # thats on it ,

someone got a Recent pid # on the pod ?

Last edited: 25 Feb 2008
  11. kosoku

kosoku What's a Dremel?

on second though , ill be getting A Replacement now , i will get my way with EMails haha ,
    Now they were on sale and i had to have something , i bought another one . now dealing to replace the broken one ,

What am i to do with a Third z 5500 ' Dam if i only had a coaxial on the pc id run all 3 , already got the broken one and the new one on the pc ;) minus the blown sub of course