1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

pc problem, its the mobo!

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by JavaBoy, 28 Feb 2006.

1. JavaBoy

JavaBoy What's a Dremel?

hello, i have having a problem with my system (and others seem to have a similar problem aswell. the following are some referce from the evga forums:

http://www.evga.com/community/messageboard/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=11153

and,

http://www.evga.com/community/messageboard/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=12094

the frist one i am describing my problem:

i know i am having some of the same problems as some other 6800 owners around here, when i am playing 3d games i hear a electronic ticking/whining noise comming from my gpu. i have done the test.cmd that Abaker has setup and within a few seconds i hear the ticking. the thread didnt list a clear what to slove this problem (if it can be solved). the noise (apart from being anoying) dosnt sound like the healthyest hardware noise. is there anything i can do?

((sorry about spelling))

how someone else with the same problem sovled there problem:

Don't believe the minimum system requirements ...
    The problem was my Power Supply ... I upgraded my 380W (18Amp @ +12v)
    to a 430W (22Amp @ +12V) ... no more noise ... no more system crashes.

Regards,

Zucko

evga follow up to this:

Remember, that when powersupply companies put wattage and +12v amps on a box, it is sometimes largely inflated, and not true to life.

It is very important to buy a quality brand when choosing powersupplies.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

i have rma'd the card after getting on the phone with evga. i still seem to have the same problems with the same card. so i am thinking that its my psu. now lets speculate about the antec psu's i have a antec Phantom 500. based on what the evga guy said in the forums is this a good psu? i mean it has 500W i would have thought that would have been enough. i also have a NeoPower 480 in my other rig wich works fine.

also, my 3dmark scores (taken from forums):

3dmark06

3dmark score: 1906
    sm2.0 score: 983
    hdr/sm3.0 score: 886
    cpu score: 410

i didnt get an fps higher than 15
    it squeald/ticked 2x as lound when running theses tests

----
    any help would be nice, sorry for the bulk of info, i just want to make sure we have everything

Last edited: 3 Mar 2006
  2. 731|\|37

731|\|37 ESD Engineer in Training

are you absolutly sure it came from the GPU? its not a fan elsewhere in your system thats dying? its entirly possible that when you run the tests your pc is stressed that the a fan on a smartline compensates for it and starts making 2x the noise

3. JavaBoy

JavaBoy What's a Dremel?

no i am not 100% it is comming from the gpu, it doesnt sound like a fan noise. it sound more electrical.

4. hitman012

hitman012 Minimodder

Sounds to me like a portion of the voltage regulator circuit is oscillating; it may be sensitive to ripple on the lines, which would explain why changing PSUs can sometimes help.

Try getting a cheap PC microphone and positioning it near all the capacitors, MOSFETs and chokes/inductors on the board to see if there is a sudden spike due to noise emissions from that component.

5. JavaBoy

JavaBoy What's a Dremel?

ill be sure to print that out and try it out as soon as i get home, thanks for the feedback. ill be sure to let you know what happens

6. JavaBoy

JavaBoy What's a Dremel?

ummm not to be a noob but what are MOSFETs and chokes?

7. RotoSequence

RotoSequence Lazy Lurker

The various electrical chips on an electronic product that arent memory/graphics.

8. hitman012

hitman012 Minimodder

Here's a diagram of NVIDIA's reference board. To the far right is the voltage regulator circuitry - this converts the 12V from the power connectors into the necessary lower voltages for the memory, I/O and GPU.

The capacitors are the "can" purple/grey items on the board (e.g. the very top right), while the MOSFETs (a type of transistor) are the three-legged, flat black components. Both of these are involved in switching high-frequency loads, so might resonate or otherwise oscillate at a particular frequency.

9. Highland3r

Highland3r Minimodder

Ticking might be more closely associcated with a PSU rather than GFX card perhaps?
    If its squeeling wouldn't worry a huge amount about it, its just chokes oscilating. You can usually fix them by adding a drop or 2 of supergule, if you can identify which one is the issue that is

10. JavaBoy

JavaBoy What's a Dremel?

yes well i think where overlooking the fact that i get like 10fps in games. also i didnt have much luck with the microphone thing. tommarow if i have time ima switch out psu's and see if it helps

11. Highland3r

Highland3r Minimodder

Can you run rivatuner with the clockspeeds/temp monitoring panel open then run some 3d again. Wondering if the cards sticking at 2d clocks perhaps?

12. JavaBoy

JavaBoy What's a Dremel?

good idea.....ill do it tonight before i unwire my psu

should i post mobo specs? links? aswell

13. JavaBoy

JavaBoy What's a Dremel?

is there any way i can post the log file?

i am just noticling i am hearing the electronic whining while eriting this messagne a little bit too.....i dont think its the graphics card anymore

edit: i am unwireing and swaping psu's...

Last edited: 1 Mar 2006
  14. JavaBoy

JavaBoy What's a Dremel?

mobo?

so i pluged in a neopower 480 and i get the same damn thing....im starting to think my mother board is a pice of ****, or evga is a ****** company beacuse i had problems with the last card that I and all of YOU had to FIX!

and ideas?

mobo link:
    http://usa.asus.com/products4.aspx?l1=3&l2=11&l3=25&model=165&modelmenu=1

edit: soory for 3 posts in a row
    edit2: note that the mobo has a built in intel gfx accelerator...should i try that and see if i get noise/lowfps....?

Last edited: 1 Mar 2006
  15. hitman012

hitman012 Minimodder

It could easily be the motherboard; they're prone to the same problem. Does it happen with high processor load or just in games? Try the microphone trick on all the caps/chokes/FETs on the motherboard, too :)

16. JavaBoy

JavaBoy What's a Dremel?

i will test it out after i finish some paper work...
    just a side thought if it where the mother board thats causing crappy performance in games and that electronic noise that pisses the hell out of me (excuse my language). is there anything i can do about it? if so what? or am i gona be making the amd switch sooner that i had planned?

edit: the newegg link to my board:
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16813131520

everyone on newegg seemed to have a good time with this board...i am starting to think that its some kinda bad luck that i seem to have when dealing with hardware...such a same because i love it so much.

17. JavaBoy

JavaBoy What's a Dremel?

new idea

ok i have a new idea, why dont i just put the other nivida card i have in the pc? and see if it makes noise. that will tell us if its the card or the mother board. if its the mother board ima save up and just dive in whith amd...(i was gona do that sometime this summer but ah well)

18. hitman012

hitman012 Minimodder

Sounds like a good plan. I didn't realise that you had a spare on hand (although reading your sig would have pointed that out to me :duh: ).

19. JavaBoy

JavaBoy What's a Dremel?

hey, everybody. its the motherboard!

edit:
    so ive decided to combind my two rigs into one awesome portable kickass one. ok two questions.

1) new mobo. its needs to have a pci-e 16x slot, microatx, and intel dual core compatible. my budget is around 100$

2) cpu, i plan to take my 3.0GHz proc. out of my main rig. it has artic silver compound on it allready from the current heatsink. what can i do about this? how do i clean it off?

3) is there anything i can do about the old mobo?

Last edited: 3 Mar 2006
  20. JavaBoy

JavaBoy What's a Dremel?

bump?

fyi: no info with the mic trick

im getting it off and on while running super pi...

i get the fealing im being ignored....

Last edited: 4 Mar 2006