1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Modding Project :: Star Wars Desk (Planning Thread)

Discussion in 'Modding' started by blananar, 6 Mar 2006.

1. blananar

blananar What's a Dremel?

Okay, now, moving on from my other thread, this one has one focus, which is planning the mod of which I have the idea all set out. This mod, will have the following features.

Sci-Fi Star Wars design, made from a part of Sony Online Entertainment and LucasArts' MMORPG, Star Wars Galaxies - An Empire Divided.
    Built into a Desk.
    Portable, collapses into a compact form, with an attached handle to carry it by.
    VFD Display above keyboard, for prompt reading of system status.

So, now, the pictures I have to go off of.

[​IMG]
    The speculated final product.

[​IMG]

The speculated final product, with a parts layout.

Parts to be used ::

Dell 15" LCD Monitor - $80 USD Refurbished.
    IBM Thinkpad Keyboard Assembly - $22 USD.
    VFD display of some sort, still deciding on type.
    Motherboard Tray purchased alone would be nice, would like to know about any deals like that available.

Any more ideas are welcome and appreciated.

2. tm36usa

tm36usa What's a Dremel?

Cool idea, I like starwars. One peice of advice, that ibm keyboard doesnt have a controler (its built into the laptop mobo) and would be ultra hard to wire up as a keyboard. Just get one of these: http://froogle.google.com/froogle_c...0016841778572&btnG=Search+Froogle&scoring=mrd . Works on usb despite it saying PS2, and thats a fact (I have one I use for lans and with my xbox)

As for a vfd, definitly go with a Matrix Orbital. Best displays around. Here are 2 that are on ebay right now for reasonable prices. http://search.ebay.com/search/searc...r=1&from=R8&satitle=matrix+orbital&category0=
    I would go with the 20x4, seeing as that normaly costs $110 + $20 to ship from matrix orbital.

As for a mother board tray, you could use a Replacement Lian Li one such as this one: http://www.performance-pcs.com/catalog/index.php?main_page=product_info&products_id=3387
    They are avaliable at many modding sites and work real well for custom cases.

I hope all that helped, Thats a pretty big mod but should look sweet when its done.

Last edited: 6 Mar 2006
  3. Stuey

Stuey You will be defenestrated!

I have a question. Originally you intended to hook up a laptop keyboard. I'm curious about this. I'm thinking about removing my laptop components and placing them in a custom-made static enclosure but can't think of how to extend the short ribbon signal cables. What did you have in mind for this?

So this is a desk? From the image, I don't see any supports; from the design, it doesn't look very stable.

You haven't mentioned the internals of the system, but from the image, it seems like you would benefit from the compactness of a laptop at the system's core.

4. chemo

chemo True Jungle Brother

nice idea, this could work out on so many levels.
    youre not going to have loads of cables around for a start, all of the internals are going to be tucked away meaning it wont be cluttering floorspace etc.
    good luck with it, i hope you wont run into any problems that stop you from doing this as i would very much like to see the real thing

5. blananar

Thanks for the input guys. The system I will be putting in is my current desktop rig. The specs are as follows...

intel Pentium 4 Processor 3.4 GHz
    MSI P4N SLI-FI Motherboard
    1 GB of Kingston RAM
    eVGA e-GeForce 6800 GT 256MB
    400 Watt Power Supply

NOTE :: The Main Computer Parts Enclosure, as shown in the parts layout, will be larger than shown. I will model the case in 3D and take pictures of all views in Maya 7.0, today in my 3D Animation Class.

EDIT :: Also, the VFD, will be behind purple/UV Acrylic, to match the look in the picture.

6. Stuey

Stuey You will be defenestrated!

C'mon, I'm desperate here!

7. freemc

freemc What's a Dremel?

It would be damn cool to have a touchscreen in that.

8. blananar

Stuey83 :: I planned on soldering on some wires. Don't think it would work though.
    FreeMC :: That would be cool. I will think about putting it in.

Now, for design version 2.0, rendered in Alias Maya 7.0...

[​IMG]
    Overall View

[​IMG]
    Side View

[​IMG]
    Rear View

Notice the dual monitors. I have it this way as I simply had enough room when I was modeling it. Also, it doesn't fold into 1 piece anymore, it folds into two pieces.

9. blananar

Okay, so I was thinking of making my own keyboard, as I can't seem to find any good ones, that fit what I want to do. I want it to be sorta like a touchpad keyboard, with flat buttons, in a dvorak layout. So, the question is, is there any tutorials out there on how to make one?

10. rathfon

rathfon What's a Dremel?

I recently bought my dad a Logitech wireless package, that is very laptop-style keys. Very low down and it's a very nice setup. I don't remember the exact name of it, but it shouldn't be hard to find. Didn't cost much either.

11. TheMuffinMan

TheMuffinMan Minimodder

Just get one of the roll up keyboard, it's incredibly flat and rectangular, incase that in something

12. blananar

I was looking at what Newegg had to offer, and I was thinking about this keyboard. It looks like it could work.

13. Jokkocze

Jokkocze What's a Dremel?

I've actually thought of building exactly the same table! Tho I never had the guts to try it. I hope you manage to pull it of! I'll be following this if you try to do it