1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Modding LCD -> Ditch that inverter

Discussion in 'Modding' started by DarkFear, 12 Mar 2006.

1. DarkFear

DarkFear What's a Dremel?

Don't know if anybody thought of this yet. I didn't see anyone do this, but if I am mistaken I apologize. Sorry for the bad pictures, but my sister borrowed my camera.

Take any LCD. Got this on out of my printer.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Remove the backlight CCFL.

[​IMG]

Replace it with some LED's. I only had green ones, but any colour can be used.

White LED's would most likely be the best option. Hmmm...maybe one of those Rainbow LED things I saw somewhere on the site. I think it was Macroman who made it? :confused:

This was done with some sticky tape :blush: but a strip of perspex lighted from one of the edges should give more even light distribution.

[​IMG]

Congratulations! You just made you inverter obsolete!

[​IMG]

2. scotty6435

scotty6435 What's a Dremel?

That really piques my interest. I've got an old 19 inch TFT and its inverter squeeking like crazy though I think the uneven nature of the light will not work :(

3. tkh

tkh Minimodder

Yeah personally I dont think you could use LEDS for backlighting and their light is very direct and not spread out like cathodes.

4. ozstrike

ozstrike yip yip yip yip

For a small screen it would probably work, though.

5. jediknight0

jediknight0 What's a Dremel?

I'm sure LEDs would work for small LCD screens. Some of the color PALMS (all?) use LEDs are backlights. I know the m505 and m515 did... not sure about the rest...

6. DarkFear

DarkFear What's a Dremel?

Thanks for the replies guys. I have just stumbled across an old laptop in our garage(Hey, it's 11:40PM and I'm bored) It's an Tatung TNB-800 thingy with a 20MB HDD and almost 2MB worth of RAM. WOW.

Anyway, removed the LCD. It's a B&W Hitachi LMG5167. I did a quick search on the net but the closest I came to the LMG5040. It has the same number of pins but I doubt they will have the same pinouts. Does anyone have or know where to get the LMG5167 pinouts?

Should I get bored tomorrow I'll try and make a LED strip to replace the current backlight and them maybe take a shot at connecting the LMG5167 using the LMG5040 pinouts. What's the worst that can happen?

Last edited: 13 Mar 2006
  7. Nexxo

Nexxo * Prefab Sprout – The King of Rock 'n' Roll

All the Tungsten units do. Four white LEDs in the bottom edge of the screen.

8. lcdguy

lcdguy Minimodder

well couldn't you even the light out if you passed it through a lense of something to even the light out like in overhead projectors ?

9. ChriX

ChriX ^

Hang on, so what's the point/advantage of taking everything with a backlight apart and changing the CCFL for LEDs? That last picture makes the screen look a complete mess!

10. Nexxo

Nexxo * Prefab Sprout – The King of Rock 'n' Roll

If you do it right, it works fine. The picture is just a rough mock-up.