1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Networks UK: Which ISP

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Agamer, 12 Mar 2006.

1. Agamer

Agamer Minimodder

I know there may already be a thread like this but ISP's change their service so often I thougtha new one wouldn't harm.

I am in need of getting a new ISP, I was looking at pipex but the just added an AUP to their servie and I don't want that as their is multiple users on one network so if the connection gets throttled or worse cut f tehir will be wars of who did it.

So whats recommended.

It can't have a cap or and AUp, it also wants to be about 2mb.

Cheap is nice but only f the two above are fufilled.

2. Solidus

Solidus Superhuman

3. Fr4nk

Fr4nk Tyrannosaurus Alan !

If your after some speed I'd reccomend Telewest (AKA Blueyonder) Cable Broadband, they offer upto a 10mb connection at £35/a month, 4mb at £20/a month, 2mb at £15/a month. There is also no d'load cap but the upload speeds are abit poop, 256kb on 2mb and 384kb on 4/10mb. I currently have the 10mb connection and ushaully pull about 1200kb/s from good d'load site (like fileshack etc).

Edit: 4mb is £20 for the first 3 months then £25/a month
    Edit2: telewest are known to upgrade their connection every Year, so even if you got the 2mb it will probably be like 4 or 8 this time next year ;)
    Edit3: More: http://www.telewest.co.uk/websales/service.do?id=2
    Hope this helps ;)

-Fr4nk

4. GuardianStorm

GuardianStorm Minimodder

5. yodasarmpit

yodasarmpit Modder

6. Wispa

Wispa What's a Dremel?

Personally I'm against Tiscalli, my friend enquired beforehand if it was available in the area and she got the OK so she signed up. Wasn't until it had been setup that she found out that they had a really poor connection (apparently it wasn't available to get Tiscalli in their area). After that it took them ages to get disconnected.

Have you used an online check?

Link

You type in your postcode and it gives you a detailed list of what's available to you and what packages they offer.

7. Agamer

Agamer Minimodder

Thanks for the link and all the recomendations, I am already with tiscali but have had many problems with them and have to change. So I am looking into it.

Thanks for all the links any more advice is still welcome and apreciated.

8. hitman012

hitman012 Minimodder

I'm using Telewest Broadband here and I'm pretty pleased with it. Although it can slow at peak useage points, I get close to the full 10Mb connection speed a lot of the time :D

Despite the fact that it only has a 384k upload, the lack of bandwidth cap and huge download speed is definitely worth it for £35/mo.

9. cpemma

cpemma Ecky thump

I've been OK with Pipex 1Mb but for 2Mb+ Nildram are cheaper for the same extras, and capping only applies in peak (daytime) period AFAIK. But if you want uncapped pay the extra and go with Zen.

10. FIBRE+

FIBRE+ Minimodder

I had Telewest at Uni, never had any problems and it was definately fast :D

Tiscalli users I know (or spoken to) say it's bag of crap, just generally buggy, slow and dont even think about playing any online games on it.

I'm just on BT, I went for the safe bet at the time as most the alternatives either wernt available here or I couldnt get first hand feedback on them. I havent had any down time, it works a little bit faster than quoted and I get nice low pings on games. Only downside is the support, which is awful, but I only had to use that when upgrading aggges ago.

Telewest if its available to you :thumb: (havent heard much about the others).

11. Boswell

Boswell Minimodder

big no no on Tiscalli my friend had good pings (25~) in cs 1.6 up until 5:30 EVERY day where his ping would go striaght to 200 ^ They have also sent out letters to some of my friends saying that they are downloading too much (even though they are on unlimited..) hmm werid if you ask me.

12. yodasarmpit

yodasarmpit Modder

Zen have caps now, no uncapped package available. (50Gig aint too bad though)

Pipex were great before the P2P throttling (only on xtreme4 realm atm, but rolling out to the whole network soon)

Eclipse look like a safe bet £29.99 for 2MB, or Nildram

13. Ab$olut

Ab$olut What's a Dremel?

im on tiscali had no problems doing anything tbh? games are fine downloads fine everything a ok here.

14. atanum141

atanum141 I fapped to your post!

Im on Pipex 1meg and ive never been capped or had a limit put on.

I donno about the p2p throttoling tho? whats that all about?

15. yodasarmpit

yodasarmpit Modder

16. wharrad

wharrad Minimodder

On freedom2surf here, never had a problem. They do now impose this p2p throttling, which means downloads via bittorrent never really goes above 70k/s on a 200k line.

That's not a massive problem, but I suppose it depends on how much you download.

Unfortunately through, they're sending out letters to those who regularly use above 100GB a month - despite be on the unlimited package. This causes me problems due to VPNs and remote backing up websites daily etc.

I think they got problems because so many high bandwidth users went their way - which will filter through to all other ISPs now offering an unlimited service.

When it comes down to it, I figure f2s is great due to never having a problem for the 7(ish) years I've been with them - and p2p throttling's going to come in across all ISPs when they see how much money it costs them.

(the above could be classed as 'fan-boy', but it is my honest experience)

17. atanum141

atanum141 I fapped to your post!

Last edited: 12 Mar 2006
  18. simon w

simon w What's a Dremel?

19. Peanut[UK]

Peanut[UK] What's a Dremel?

Two PAYG 2Mb ADSL services I've used, and strongly recommend. Both uncapped:

www.metronet.co.uk

- rock solid, fast, the best AUP and Support pages I've ever seen. Completely non-patronising, open, honest. Just not the cheapest.

www.lixxus.net

- on it at the moment. Solid, cheap, good AUP, no caps (although expect an email at 30Gb, apparently!).

HTH

20. simon w

simon w What's a Dremel?

Metronet is now owned by PlusNet.

Tags: