1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Is committing suicide a selfish act?

Discussion in 'Serious' started by ajiKaBooM!, 13 Mar 2006.

1. RotoSequence

RotoSequence Lazy Lurker

NOOOO! I spent five minutes writing a long, in depth opinion on the subject matter and it didnt post :wallbash:

In a nutshell, this is how I feel.

If someone feels the need to go so far as to end their lives because of some sort of emotional pain, moodswing, or general mental disorder, they need help. As the saying goes, suicide is a permanent solution to a temporary problem, be it psychological trauma or teen angst. If youre having problems as a teenager and commit suicide around that age because you "cant cope," youre an effing wuss who needs to get their priorities straight or seek counseling. Sitting around and "ending it all" isnt poetic, it isnt beautiful, it isnt attractive or appealing in any way, shape, or form to the sound mind - it is the waste of life, the essence of capability, and a waste of a human soul.

For that, suicide is selfish, inconsiderate, and just plain harmful to ANYONE who knows this person. There is scripture that brings up more food for thought. "Love your neighbor as yourself". If you dont love yourself, how can you love anyone?

2. Nexxo

Nexxo * Prefab Sprout – The King of Rock 'n' Roll

True, true... suicide is not glamorous. It is a messy, complex act, as violent and messy as murder. It can be borne from utter despair, but also from a reduced psychological resilience associated with a messed up childhood development (you have to learn to become robust). Then again, it can be an act of rage and aggression as well, a defiant final "f*** you" to the Gods, the world, the people that one feels are indifferent to one's plight. Often it is a combination of a range of feelings and motivations.

Suicide tends to be traumatic for those that are left behind. But then again does that make a person directly responsible for the happiness of the people around him? In the end, how adults cope with their loss is their responsibility. It's different when children are involved however, who'd understandably feel abandoned or rejected by the parent who topped him- or herself. But even there, a parent may, in their depressed distorted thinking, actually feel that the children would be better of without them. More commonly, the parent may choose to take their children with them --often because it is the only way to know they will be "safe". Occasionally however, it is an act of revenge towards the other parent.

Like I said, messy...

3. ArtificialHero

ArtificialHero We were just punking him sir!

Someone very close to me took their own life last year. You have no idea how angry it makes me to hear you speak so harshly of something I can only assume you have absolutely no experience. Even now it hurts to think about it, but I never for a second blamed her for her decision. She found herself in a situation she couldn't find a way out of, and she took the only option she could see. Not only this, but she was a wonderful person who did a lot of good in her life, and made a lot of people very happy.

I genuinely hope you never go through what she went through, or what I, and her family and friends went through as a result of her actions, but should you, I'm sure you will be better able to understand my standpoint.

AH

Last edited: 13 Mar 2006
  4. :: kna ::

:: kna :: POCOYO! Moderator

AH, that's out of order.. whilst he's expressing a strong opinion, you're making a personal attack.

Death or Suicide have touched everyone at somepoint, let's keep our thoughts on it generic please and avoid taking people's comments personally.

5. ajiKaBooM!

ajiKaBooM! What's a Dremel?

You see ArtificialHero's view is the same i share. In a way u could compare committing suicide to someone murdering someone. Gimme a sec. Even if the person was good all the time, they could have killed someone in the spur of the moment act. Like a mentality has taken over them. Like someone committing suicide. They just can't see the light.

Look at Harold Bishopp, which I just managed to catch on Neighbours on BBC1 this afternoon. He strangled that Robinson guy. He's always the nice one.

6. The Corporate Nerd

The Corporate Nerd What's a Dremel?

In my opinion opinion it is. If lifes bad think of those who have it worse than you.

Little fact: In China during Mao Ze-dongs reing it was considered a crime to commit suicide.

7. ajiKaBooM!

I believe it is REDICULOUS for the Chinese government to make such a law! How dare they take away human rights, the rights for what an individual would want to do with their life!

Is there anything the Chinese gov't would like to do? Ban drinking tea in the afternoon? Wearing shoes on a Sunday? Going to a McDonalds?

8. MrWillyWonka

MrWillyWonka Chocolate computers galore!

It also used to be a crime in the UK to commit suicide, it was only about 40 years ago when this law was overturned.

I would guess the reason suicide was illegal was for religious reasons, Christianity was against suicide, and British law was often based on religion, until after the war when it turned more political.

But as this is a very divided subject, I suppose there isn't a right or wrong answer? It's down to beliefs.

9. ArtificialHero

ArtificialHero We were just punking him sir!

Agreed. Apologies to all for being aggressive and insulting in this thread. I was kinda angered by some of the things being said, but my reaction was inappropriate. Comments taken on board, and post edited.

AH

10. ajiKaBooM!

Good conclusion

11. r4tch3t

r4tch3t hmmmm....

I dont get it, who are they going to punish for breaking a "suicide is a crime" law. I beleive that Suicide is selfish, speaking from experiance, I only stoped because of those who would be affected by it. Instead I just dissapeared for a few days to sort out my mind a bit. Suicide is selfish if there is another way. I can see why some people would though, think euthanasia that is practically suicide. But it is mercy. There are two sides to it. Mostly I think that it is selfish and should not be done.

12. Tulatin

Tulatin The Froggy Poster

Well, there's one issue here. If successful, everybody can say you're selfish all you want, to your cold dead body. Same with Mao's ideal. What are they gonna do? Lock your corspe up?

13. ajiKaBooM!

Just out of curiousity, how many people have thought about suicide - or even played with the taught? I remember a time on BBC news where they said teenagers in South Korea are having the highest suicidal rates due to depression.

Close people i've talked to said they toyed with the idea in their lives. I did when i was 11.

14. Tulatin

Tulatin The Froggy Poster

I'm pretty sure the teens who have "thought of or attempted suicide" stat is higher than that of teens who have tried alcohol or marijuana...

15. bloodcar

bloodcar Minimodder

I'll unabashidly admit that I attempted suicide several times in my younger years. I have three bullets with firing pin marks from three seperate guns to remind me of my troubled times growing up. There's also the stomach problems I'll have for probably the rest of my life from purposely overdosing on a mixed bag of over 115 pills. Needless to say, those weren't really the most enjoyable times in my life. I went further then contemplating and actually attempted and in all honesty I should be alive as I never saught any help for the OD (I woke up two days later sicker then hell) and had three guns just happen to not fire when they were pointed at my head. Hell, I've had a ton of brushes with death and I'm still alive....miraculously.

Quite funny is the fact that my suicide attempts all happened while I was taking Wellbutrin (which is an anti-depressant) while taking ritalin and then adderol. I think the majority of my problems as a teenager stem from these drugs that a doctor said I needed because I was "ADHD" (I really just needed a good ass busting and some actual attention from the parental units).

I also suffered from one of my best friends commiting suicide seven years ago on March 16. Funny enough about that is that on the 7th anniversary of his death, I'll be working at the cemetery that he's buried at. We never found out why he shot himself and we'll never know, but many of us believe that it stemmed from drug problems but that will always remain an unanswered question.

When you're contemplating suicide or even in the act of commiting it, then you're being selfish. You're seeking a solution to your problems and suicide seems to be the answer. I've never heard of someone killing themself because they were 100% happy and 100% in a solid state of mind. Suicide will not only effect those people that love you but can also effect others who don't even know you at all. Working at a cemetery it's hard when we bury people who've committed suicide. You'll end up asking yourself "what was troubling this person so much that they decided to end it all?"

Personally, I've found out that no matter how bad things can be right now, they'll always get better down the road. It may not be a day, a week, or even a month, but eventually things will look up for you. You have to remember that life is what you make it. If you want to be miserable, then you'll be miserable. For someone always looking for the downside of things, they'll never be happy. Like the old saying goes, "When life hands you lemons, make lemonade." It might be hard to do, but it's very doable and I can assure you of this.

You're only given a small piece of time to be alive, so enjoy it while you can. People say that youth is wasted on the young... I say that life is wasted on the living.

16. Faind

Faind What's a Dremel?

I guess I think anything that is not required to live and that one wants is selfish. since suicide is not required to live no matter how much you want it. it is selfish, the same goes for choclate sex and cola. I think it would be a rare circumstance where taking your own life would benifit anyone but yourself. besides circumstances change. try packing all your **** up and moving out of state worked for me twice. besides you can kill yourself anytime its free and its not that hard. why not try a few crazy things first you might just have fun.

17. .308AR

.308AR What's a Dremel?

No where in the Bible have I read this.

18. MrWillyWonka

MrWillyWonka Chocolate computers galore!

Don't know if it's in the bible or not, but it is well known that the Catholic churches are aginst the act of suicide, anybody doing so will be sent to hell etc.

And basically pre-war, a lot of laws were based on relgion since it was still a country dominated by Christianity.

19. Cthippo

Cthippo Can't mod my way out of a paper bag

I don't mind saying that I've certainly thought about it many times, but have never had a go at it. I think that if I ever do it won't be a spur of the moment thing, but rather a planned act.

As to how common thoughts of suicide are, I think the answer is fairly common. Most of my friends have discussed cntemplating suicide at one point or another. I think that is is probably somthing that most people think about at one point in their life ot another, but few discuss.

20. Bogomip

Bogomip ... Yo Momma

In most cases I think its an incredibly selfish act. In most cases poor people are technically in a position to feel responsible (i.e. people who leap in front of trains) and in the others theres a whole bunch of people who have to clean up. And thats supposing the person who comitted suicide has no family or anyone.

However, in some cases it isnt selfish. There rare, but as stated above when people get into a pattern of rejection, disappointment, and to a stage where everything they do with all their hearts gets shot down - and they do it in a non-obtrusive way such as jumping into the big blue sea then by all means. It seems rude and unjust to deny someone death to end a life of misery and sometimes torment, especially from the perspecive of someone with a good life going for them.

But in most cases, suicide is just the easy way out of a problem you have to fix on your own, because thats just what life is about.