1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Should I buy this Evesham Axis MKR PC

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by radioman3, 16 Mar 2006.

1. radioman3

radioman3 What's a Dremel?

Hi. Thanks to everyone who replied to my other post about a possible Mesh Computer.

Anyway, after reading various reviews on the web, I've decided not to buy this system. I've looked at so many systems from so many companies now my head is spinning :wallbash: . Alienware looked good, it was my preferred choice, but the price just kept going up and up.

The best computer I think I've found is this one by Evesham.

I can configure this Evesham Axis MKR with the following specifications for £1337.01

AMD@Athlon 64 X2 Processor 4200+
    nVidia nForce PCI-Express Motherboard
    2GB DDR Ram (PC3 200)(2x1GB)
    250GB SATA 7200rpm Hard Drive with 8mb buffer
    512MB DDR NVIDIA GEFORCE 7900GTX PCI-EXPRESS
    Multi Format 16x Dual layer DVD re-writer
    52x24x52 CDRW Drive
    7.1 Channel Surround Sound (on-board)
    Keyboard, Mouse, Microsoft Works 8.0

I think this looks a great system. But as I have not bought a new computer in around 3 years, it would be great if some people could give their opinion on this system and Evesham. Thanks.

2. Mister_Tad

Mister_Tad Will work for nuts Super Moderator

Looks like a good'un to me specification wise, but ...

If you price up all the components individually, it seems theyre adding on quite a chunk even after taking windows and other software into account, unless it comes with speakers, monitor, printer etc (although those are off the top of my head prices with mental arithmetic, and its 3am)

Might be an idea to find out what psu they use to make sure its not tat, and what motherboard they use to make sure you will be able to overclock.

3. NoahFuLing

NoahFuLing What's a Dremel?

Definitely get it for that price! (Lol.)

But seriously. That's about 2500 US dollars (for my own mental arithmetic), and that's ridiculous overhead. I configged myself a similar system for my own use (although did not buy) and it cost about 2200 USD. That was with quality name brand RAM, the 4400+ instead of the 4200+, the top-of-the line Asus mobo, etc. It was a pretty nice machine, equal and probably better than that Evesham, yet it was cheaper. I'd suggest going to an online store and pricing it out. :thumb: Hope it goes well.

4. RotoSequence

RotoSequence Lazy Lurker

radioman, if budget is a concern, and you want to learn about computer hardware and to do your own tech support (with some help from forumers), I highly reccomend you build your system yourself; it will be cheaper, you'll learn how to build computers (its a valuable experience), and you'll be able to say "you did it yourself". If you are willing to put forth the effort, you can have everything you want and avoid the hassle of figuring out which vendor is best (which when it comes to getting value for the money, can be as difficult, or more, than doing it yourself), and knowing right off the bat just what kind of components you'll have and what it can do :)

5. Austin

Austin Minimodder

:thumb: Seems like a great spec. 7900GTX 512MB is very hard-core, you may get a decent amount off the price (£150, over 10% of the total price) if they could use a 7900GT or X1800 which are close in speed yet a whole lot cheaper, BTW 256MB is more than fine too. There's also no need for a CDRW as the DVD Writer will do that just as well, still that would only add £15 at most to the system. I take it you are getting Windows XP with that too?

6. radioman3

Thanks for your reply. That's a great help.

Apparently, it would only take around 6 working days build time which would suit very well.

7. phuzz

phuzz This is a title

I used to work for evesham building boxes (ok to reveal that now ;)) and knowing the people that would be building this, I'd say you're better off looking elsewhere. Just my opinion tho.
    (btw the ram they use is generic branded stuff, stright from hynix, samsung or nanya, so it might not be any good for oc'ing, but it's fine for default speeds)

8. ashikamlani

ashikamlani What's a Dremel?

the graphics card is a bit of an overkill..
    also they are taking about £200-£300 for making the system. For this reason i suggest that you simply build your own pc to your exact specifications.

9. unclean

unclean SMP obsessive

AMD@Athlon 64 X2 Processor 4200+ - £250
    nVidia nForce PCI-Express Motherboard - ~£80-120
    2GB DDR Ram (PC3 200)(2x1GB) - £100 - 150
    250GB SATA 7200rpm Hard Drive with 8mb buffer - £66
    512MB DDR NVIDIA GEFORCE 7900GTX PCI-EXPRESS £390 (I'd advise 2 x 7900GT in SLi if you were building this yourself for £398)
    Multi Format 16x Dual layer DVD re-writer - ~£25
    52x24x52 CDRW Drive - £20
    7.1 Channel Surround Sound (on-board) - £free!
    Keyboard, Mouse, Microsoft Works 8.0 - £20-50 + £?? for Works.
    Case + PSU - £40 - 100

So.. cheapest on those estimates £991

With better components £1179

The Eversham will be using the cheap components, so you save ~£360 if you build an equivalent PC for yourself, and about £170 if you build a similar system out of top notch components that will look, perform and overclock a lot better.

Last edited: 18 Mar 2006
  10. radioman3

Yeh, it seems most PC manufacturers appear to charge more than is necessary!

The Evesham looked the best value to me.
    Dell and Alienware were far too expensive for me.

11. ashikamlani

do you really not want to build it yourself? :duh:

12. radioman3

I don't have the will power or time to build a new computer unfortunately. :sigh:
    I really need a new computer yesterday. :)

13. ashikamlani

well then i think that it is a good buy, if not a little overpriced. Evesham are a good company. If you buy this, just get bettr RAM, and your done!

14. Strategy

Strategy Banned

Skipping over the replys, I see you haven't listed a DVDROM drive, most games coming out now are on a DVD disk, so you'd be unable to install them due to not having a DVDROM drive!

15. phuzz

phuzz This is a title

(they recon they make about £40-60 profit on each box btw the rest goes on wages etc.)

16. radioman3

Hi. Thanks for your reply.

Included in the PC Package is:

"Multi Format 16x Dual layer DVD re-writer".

Is this only a DVD re-writer that cannot play DVDs, but only record them?

I thought this was a DVD-Rom which can play both DVDs and CD-RWs. Am I wrong in this?

17. oasked

oasked Stuck in (better) mud

It can read DVD's and CD's and write them all too, don't worry it does everything. (Well apart from HD-DVD and Blu-Ray which aren't out yet! :p)

18. Yotsuba

Yotsuba What's a Dremel?

Since you don't have much time, it is alright (I guess) to just buy a PC, but I recommend buying that PC, but configuring it with the least amount of RAM (it will run with 256 or 512 temporarily) and upgrading it. It'll save you a bit. The graphics card is very much overkill. A 7800GT or a 6800 series card is good enough for most people IMHO.

19. hitman012

hitman012 Minimodder

If you don't have the time to build one yourself, then fair enough - this PC looks like a fairly good deal out of the bunch. They're taking a fair amount off, but relatively it's not that bad and you do get support/warranty for the money.

There is one thing, though:
    Unless Evesham are very protective of their warranty, I'd definitely advise doing this as well. You'll save a fair amount of money and adding RAM takes less than 2 minutes.

Aside from that, it does seem a good choice. Hope you enjoy it :thumb: