1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Graphics Scaling monitor

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by chiggyman, 29 Mar 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. chiggyman

chiggyman Banned

Ok basically I have a 20inch monitor, but its maximum res is 640x480, it's running as a secondary monitor, by VGA on my Radeon 9600 pro. My primary monitor a generic 19inch running in 1280x1024. Whats annoying is whenever i drag something over to the second monitor, it x4 in size because of the res difference and having 640x480 @ 20inch is generally annoying, but it doesn't support any higher even if i try and force it in ultramon or whatever. Does anybody know any drivers/program/anything that would let me run it in 1280x1024 but then scale it down to 640x480 if you comprende. I know this will make hurrendous unreadable text etc but I really don't mind. Any helps appreciated. The closest ive found is "Ultravlc" and its loopback feature, but it doesnt work (or at least i cant find how) with the secondary monitor, only primary.
    Thanks. Jay

2. chemo

chemo True Jungle Brother

are you sure its a monitor and not a TV?

3. chiggyman

chiggyman Banned

Well depends how you wana classify it, technically its a tv i guess since it has a tuner. But it also has VGA and DVI inputs. But that doesnt change anything at all really does it?

4. AJB2K3

AJB2K3 What's a Dremel?

Ive never solved this cus ive got a 21"plasma stuck in 800X600.
    :duh: try updating the windriver sometime windows doesn't set the correct PNP driver.

5. Fr4nk

Fr4nk Tyrannosaurus Alan !

Well for a start if it has a tuner then it's a tv thus the max res is 640*480.

@ AJB2K3: the same goes for your plasma it's not a computer TFT, its TV thus the res is also very low (although higher than the 20" tv mentioned above).

6. chiggyman

chiggyman Banned

My friend has a LCD with a tv tuner, and that runs a 1280x1024, so not all "Tv's" have a max res of 640x480, but anyway thats not even my question. Don't get padantic on whether its a tv or not?
    Relevant comment or FOAD please?

7. Deathrow

Deathrow Minimodder

Look, Fr4nk has just answered your question, you have a TV and it will run at 640x480 and there is nothing you can do about it. Your friend may have a HDTV, causing him to be able to run a higher res than you.

And I think you should SERIOUSLY reconsider how you talk to valued members of this board, such as Fr4nk, before you tell them to "FOAD".

8. Fr4nk

Fr4nk Tyrannosaurus Alan !

Ah, good point I remember using the tv down stairs thats like 36", I could run my pc on it at 1024*768 (via s-vdeo out/compisite), thus I was wrong but if this is actually a CRT it should/would support a res of 2048*1536 (I currently have a 21"CRT capable of that res). My bad...

And to "answer" your question can you "force" the res with ATI/Nvidia drivers ? If not your other option is to lower the res of your other monitor to 640*480 but thats not very nice to look at :(, You wouldn't happen to live near essex would you? As my friend has about 6 21" CRT's (just like my one (he gave me one)) as he got then very cheap (£10.50 for 12 21" CRTs:p)

9. chemo

chemo True Jungle Brother

ffs fr4nk youre a star trying to help him after that outburst.

@chiggy, youve got a TV, its not got any more pixels to use, 640x480 is its max res, end of.
    the other things you speak of, are actually primarily monitors BUT they have a tv tuner input. you need to look up the items youre buying in future to get the stuff working right for you, and in the future you might want to change the attitude towards people that have actually tried to help you and gain more information from you.

10. chiggyman

chiggyman Banned

LOL well basically you should calm down to be honest. In all fairness though, does it really matter if it's a monitor or a tv, it doesn't change much, i already told you its max res etc? If there was no solution, you could have said that originall Chemo. But anyway basically I don't think any of you even know what im trying to do, so erm yeah, thanks for the help? I think. FOAD!

Last edited: 29 Mar 2006
  11. chiggyman

chiggyman Banned

A Friend recommended I get 2gb RAM to help with the problem? WTF?

12. WaLLaWaLLa92

WaLLaWaLLa92 What's a Dremel?

you could do rewrite the driver file in C++ then repatch it into windows at a 1/4 ratio and maybe is should scale it...if you patch a mains lead into the VGA, giving it more voltage should let it handle the higher res , chiggy your a n00b...i think the solder and your bellend should have a meeting.... sorry about this...Love bit tech! sorry about this , peace out nexxo *** xx xx xx

13. Glider

Glider /dev/null

Maybe explain better then?

14. Deathrow

Deathrow Minimodder

Some people are just hopeless.

Lets try this again:

Yes, it does matter that its a TV and not a monitor. You can't take the resoloution any higher because there simply isnt any more pixles on the screen for it to use.

Am i getting through to you?

Also, a short story, titled "The Edit Button"

If you make a post and realise 4 mins later that you want to add more information to the thread before someone has replied you can press the Edit button. This summons a magical little fairy to help you alter your previous post (How cool is that!).

Please make use of it.

15. Shadowed_fury

Shadowed_fury Minimodder

As true as you are, Chill guys ;)

Tags:
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.