1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Slow(-ish) DVD Writing

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by cjmUK, 9 Apr 2006.

1. cjmUK

cjmUK Old git.

AFAIK this is a longstanding problem, but I've finally decided to investigate...

I have a Teac DV-W58E 8xDVD+R drive (in a Dell 4600)... when I write an ISO to a disk (or anything to disk for that matter), the maximum write speed I seem to get is 4x, whereas the drive and the media are both 8x.

I've tried it with crappy stuff up to good media (eg. Imation/Verbatim), and it doesnt make a blind bit of difference.

My HDDs are both SATA, the DVD uses the latest firmware, and my system spec is at least reasonable (2Gb RAM, P4 3.06GHz).

Why dont the speeds reach 8x? Why doesnt my drive even break 4x?

Is there anyway I can stress test the system artificially - to measure the maximum write speed?

Thanks

Chris

2. McKaamos

McKaamos What's a Dremel?

You are able to select 8X before starting to write?
    If not, your drive just doesnt recognise the inserted media as 8X media.
    If you can but it steps the speed back while writing, chances are that the drive somehow isnt able to keep the buffer filled at 8X, and thus slows down so you won't have a buffer underrun.

3. Pookeyhead

Pookeyhead It's big, and it's clever.

What size are the discs/ISOs you're burning? My NEC writer will only burn at full speed towards the outside of the disc, and apparently this is normal.

4. cjmUK

cjmUK Old git.

5. cjmUK

cjmUK Old git.

Yes, I can select 8x...

And DVD Decrypter shows both buffers full (most of the time, obviously).

6. cjmUK

cjmUK Old git.

They are generally 3GB+... It quickly gets up to 4x speed, but doesnt get *any* faster at any time

7. kenco_uk

kenco_uk I unsuccessfully then tried again

Have you got the dvd drive connected to the ide slot using a 40-wire or 80-wire cable? I would assume it's perhaps the 40-wire sort that'll need swapping for an 80-wire.

8. clockit

clockit What's a Dremel?

Sounds to me like you've got StarForce drivers on your machine, they're well known for causing problems like that. For more info go to http://www.glop.org/starforce/ I hope this helps.

9. cjmUK

cjmUK Old git.

I'm sure I checked a while back and I didn't have Starforce installed, but that may have changed. However, this speed limitation has been there from Day 1... well at least since I rebuilt Windows the last couple of times - so I would suggest that starforce may not be the problem. I'll check anyway...

As for 40 or 80-wire cables... I haven't a clue? How would I know?

CJM

10. hitman012

hitman012 Minimodder

The wires on 80-conductor cables are noticably more fine when compared to those of a 40-wire ones.

11. McKaamos

McKaamos What's a Dremel?

Just look at the cable and start counting strands.
    That is, if its a normale IDE cable.
    If you're using SATA for your DVD writer, than the whole thing about 80 or 40 conductor cables can be ignored.

12. cjmUK

cjmUK Old git.

Going by those pics, I suspect I have 40-wire cables, but I'll check tonight...

Incidently, what difference will the cable make?

13. hitman012

hitman012 Minimodder

Transfer speeds higher than UDMA Mode 2 (33MB/s) reached clock speeds high enough to mean that interference was a problem for the cabling, so 80-wire cables were introduced. The extra 40 traces are in fact only grounds, which serve to absorb interference.

14. Firehed

Firehed Why not? I own a domain to match.

Burning with DVDD is always slow in my experience. Write .iso files with Nero or something.