1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Modding Form Factor Layout Standoff Chart ?

Discussion in 'Modding' started by Unlimited 1, 10 Apr 2006.

1. Unlimited 1

Unlimited 1 What's a Dremel?

Ok the title basically says what I am in search of and am having one hell of a time finding it.

I need a chart/layout of motherboard standoff placement for all of the ATX form factors, but I mostly need the chart for an Extended ATX standoff layout as big as 12x13".

If you havn't guessed it already I am trying to design a motherboard tray for a case that I am drawing up and I am trying to get all the dimensions perfect.

Also if someone could give me some links to pages that give the exact measurements for the standard height, width, and most likely depth of most drive bays sizes 3.5 and 5.25 the width isn't really what I am needing, but rather the standard height of these bays.

If this is posted in the wrong forum please move it where it should be cause I was not sure where would be appropriate for this type of question.

Edit: I did a little more searching and found something quite a bit confusing.

I was trying to find exact dimensions for the 5.25 drive bays so I went over to Plextors site just to see what dimensions their burners were to get an idea and they say they are Dimensions (W/H/D) 5.75 in x 1.62 in x 6.69 in, so what gives ? Why are 5.25 bays called that if they are in fact much bigger ?

Ok to further add to my confusion I just measured one of my hard drives and it is 4" wide so why do they call the bay it goes in a 3.5 bay ?

Last edited: 10 Apr 2006
  2. Nexxo

Nexxo * Prefab Sprout – The King of Rock 'n' Roll

The sizes 5.25" and 3.5" refer not to the size of the bays, but to the size of the media that you stuff in the drives occupying those bays.

What is called a 5.25" bay (although its width is, in fact, 5.75") used to be traditionally occupied by a floppy drive that took a 5.25" floppy disk (which were actually floppy, in those days). Subsequently HDDs and later, the CD-ROM drive were then designed to fit the same size bay for logistical reasons.

What is called a 3.5" bay (in fact 4" wide) was designed to accommodate a floppy drive which takes the newer 3.5" floppy disk. With the advent of such bays and the miniaturisation of HDDs, the more recent HDDs are designed to fit nicely in a 3.5" bay --and therefore are also 4" wide. ;)

3. Unlimited 1

Alright that makes since.

Now can you please tell me what the height is supposed to be exactly for devices that fit 3.5 & 5.25 bays ?

4. Ryszvaldo

Ryszvaldo Banned

5. Gumbatron

Gumbatron What's a Dremel?

Here's the best place for info on ATX mobo formfactors. http://www.formfactors.org/formfactor.asp

Unfortunately it doesn't appear to have anything on Extended ATX :wallbash:

Can't find anything concrete on drive sizes either. I could only find that most modern HDDs are 1/3H. So if you find out how big a full height HDD is, you've got it. Never seen a Full height drive before though, the biggest I've seen is an old 2GB SCSI that was 1/2 Height. But that's not much help to you.

Hopefully the ATX spec will help you along :thumb:

6. Unlimited 1

Guys I can't say thanks enough for helping me out here, if anyone else has any more useful info please share it with me as I can use all I can get.

7. Captain Slug

Captain Slug Infinite Patience

Here are the maximum outer dimensions for drives. These are the measurements I took myself from the largest standard drives that will fit comfortably.
    HDD/FDD size specification: 170mm* x 101.4mm x 25.4mm
    5.25" drive specification-
    Cage/shell: 205mm* x 146.5mm x 41mm
    Faceplate: 17mm x 149mm x 42mm

calc I use for dimension conversions between metric and imperial: http://www.worldwidemetric.com/metcal.htm
    If you want bolt patterns for drives it's best to go to a manufacturer's page and use the mechanical drawings as reference. You can even turn them into printable drilling templates using Microsoft Word.

*newer drives are usually shorter but it's best to use this measurement so that room for the cables is included when plotting space.

Last edited: 12 Apr 2006
  8. Unlimited 1

Does anyone have the standoff screw layout for Extended ATX motherboards ?

I really need this info badly as the system I am drawing up will be using a full 12x13" dual cpu motherboard.

9. Unlimited 1

Ok so no one has a EATX template ?

10. Gumbatron

Gumbatron What's a Dremel?

I know it's been a little while, but......

... I FOUND IT!!!!!!! :clap: :clap:

The standard you are looking for is EEB3.51 (EEB = Entry Level Electronics Bay)

You can download a pdf with engineering drawings with all the measurements.

Go to this page: http://ssiforum.org/specifications.aspx

Under the Electronic Bays section there is a pdf for EBB3.51 Product Postings

This should contain all the info you need. Except possibly the location of CPU mounting holes, although that should only matter if you're using a Noccona core dual Xeon board (which you probably aren't).

hmmm, the things you accidentally run into on the net :D

I hope this info usefull :thumb: