1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Modding Any 3D Programs To Help Design Mod

Discussion in 'Modding' started by djbugiz, 14 Mar 2006.

1. djbugiz

djbugiz What's a Dremel?

guys can u post in the 3D Programs dat u guys use to "visualise" and design ur mod... and can u guys state the difficulty of using the prog

2. The_Gimpy

The_Gimpy What's a Dremel?

I'll give you the benefit of the doubt, and before someone else flames you like mad about it, check out Sketchup. You will find tons of references all over the forums. Just do a search.

Edit: A mod can probley lock this topic as it's in the wrong section and answered.

3. dullonien

dullonien Master of the unfinished.

depends on how much u wanna spend. Sketchup seems to be a popular choice at around £300. I personally use AutoCAD then port that into Viz to add materials, lighting etc. I use AutoCAD because i have access to it from the architect practise i work for. It costs £1400 though....... not to mention another £1200 for Viz on top of that.

Look around, see what u think looks good

4. MrDT

MrDT fapfap

sketchup do a nice free trial. you won't regret it... until you find yourself sketching at 5am and you have work in the morning ;)

fantastic product, easy to use, and great for plans, just dont expect realistic renderings etc, it was never meant to compete with maya etc :)

5. Nexxo

Nexxo * Prefab Sprout – The King of Rock 'n' Roll

No, but you can export the model to Maya. ;)

6. Joungne

Joungne What's a Dremel?

pls dont forget 3dsmax (my baby :cooldude: ) and sketchup also exports to the 3ds format.
    But i'm even starting to like sketchup

greetz,
    Joungne

7. simosaurus

simosaurus What's a Dremel?

id say 3dsmax is clearly the superior application. I would still have used sketchup hadnt the previous post pointed out that sketchup exports to 3dsmax. that means lovely renders :D

8. Coutsos

Coutsos What's a Dremel?

OK, and for those who don't want to spend so much money on 3DSMax (ie, those who aren't professional 3D graphics artists and can't take advantage of everything Max has to offer anyway) and/or don't want to resort to software piracy, maybe you could look into Blender3D. :D

9. thefirstempire

thefirstempire What's a Dremel?

do you have to go to school to learn how to make modds and everything or can you just learn by yourself? and if you can is there a trial or something that i can read? i am really intrested in making mods.

10. thefirstempire

thefirstempire What's a Dremel?

oh and keep in mind that i have no idea how to make a modd right now, so maybe a complete and comprehensive tutorial on it. i bet its gonna be the size of a book. i think i was supposed to ask this question somewhere else.

11. AJB2K3

AJB2K3 What's a Dremel?

Ill tke it your very new so ill say it politly.
    /\ Modding tab?/\
    www.google.com
    And yes there is a book.

12. Klekkus

Klekkus What's a Dremel?

I would hva started with sketchUp if i where you ;)

Just look at my worklog, I drawed most of the mod before I started.

13. AMRGUY

AMRGUY What's a Dremel?

14. Bubolzm

Bubolzm What's a Dremel?

my .02$ is for rhino 3d because you get a free trial that lasts long enough for you to lean and use it for a project. rhino3d.com

15. Captain Slug

Captain Slug Infinite Patience

Milkshape 3D is $20, but is a simple low-poly program so you'll have to get used to using simple shapes and extrusion to make what you want. I have a set of template PC parts for it.I mainly use it for make prototype models to find usable part orientations and case dimensions.

Alibre Xpress is a free unlimited trial version of Alibre and is a standard Solid CAD program very similar to Inventor. Very easy to use once you learn how to use the buttons through the help file.

16. AJB2K3

AJB2K3 What's a Dremel?

Theres now a completly free version of sketchup thanks to google.