1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Building Help - Complete Noob

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Revilo, 12 Apr 2006.

1. Revilo

Revilo What's a Dremel?

Thanks.

Oh another question that's been bugging me:
    Once I finish putting all the hardware together into a PC, what happens when I start it up? How am I supposed to get the windows interface up?

If that was unclear, let me clarify... Let's say I turn on the PC once it's built. What will happen and what do I do to get windows xp and the drivers installed?

2. Lemur 6

Lemur 6 What's a Dremel?

Oh that's easy. The first time you boot up, it'll either thow you into a semi DOS mode if your hard disk is formatted, or it'll just give an error telling you there isn't an operating system found.

What you'll need to do if it isn't set up like this already is go into the BIOS and change the boot sequence to boot from CD first (most motherboards are set at this as default nowadays). Then stick your Win XP CD into your DVD drive, and reboot, and windows starts doing its thing. Asks you how to partition your drives and how to format them, starts pluggin away, and in something like 15 minutes time or less you'll see windows load for the first time on your PC.

Hope that was helpful.

-L6

3. Revilo

Revilo What's a Dremel?

It was, thank you. Everyone, thanks a lot. I think this is a very realistic project for me. You guys made me really want to get started on this. I'm only 15 right now so I need to sell my parents on this before I start. Hopefully by the time I'm through with college, I can mod and stuff. :)

4. padrejones2001

padrejones2001 Puppy Love

Builiding a computer is really easy. Most of the connections are murphy proof, as in you can't put the in the wrong way. If it doesn't fire the first time, 90 percent of the time, the power switch isn't turned on, any other time, it's usually LED's. The motherboard manual will save your life, too. And expect to run out and get parts at a local shop at least once.

5. Revilo

Revilo What's a Dremel?

Ahh.. One last checkup - will all the parts fit in my selected case? Are all the parts compatible with each other? Is there anything else I need to make this work? Are there any flaws in what I put together on the list? Sorry guys, it's the last minute paranoia.

6. padrejones2001

padrejones2001 Puppy Love

Looks fine to me.

7. Revilo

Revilo What's a Dremel?

Okay, thanks a lot. Time to talk to the parents and ask to begin this project. :)

8. NoahFuLing

NoahFuLing What's a Dremel?

-FYI, the hard drive you chose is ATA100, NOT SATA. Just wanted to make sure you knew, as I've done things like that myself (ordered an ATA100 when I needed an SATAII for my 4-drive test RAID).

Otherwise it looks good (right now, it's 12:30 in the morning and I'm absolutely hammered, completely drunk, and yes it's legal) and so I'm not the most reliable.

9. Revilo

Revilo What's a Dremel?

It's fine to me. I don't need SATA that bad...
    I have an NVIDIA motherboard but a radeon x1900xtx
    Is this going to be a problem?

10. Jokkocze

Jokkocze What's a Dremel?

aaah.. first computer build.. I remember mine. I werent careful, and I didnt really know what I were doing, and I broke some of the hardware :(
    Fortuneatly, the store replaced the broken parts, and I had the new ones less than a week later. That time I used a ESD bracelet, and the system worked perfectly.

So my tip to you is, Get a ESD bracelet or similar. It removes the chance of breaking the components if you're not careful, and touches the case all the time.
    (I hope that the post made sense.. not sure I understood it)

11. Touchwood

Touchwood What's a Dremel?

Revilo,

One thing that no one has mentioned is the [keep it simple technique of instalation of parts. If using a separate Power suppy fit this to the case. Next fit CPU, heatsink and fan to motherboard; this I prefer to do before fitting motherboard into the case. Fix power supply to motherboard, switch on and listed for a sweet single little beep. This informs you that the item installed, is installed correctly. Switch off. Next fit memory, switch on and listen for that single beep. By fitting items one at a time, you will know if each part is installed correctly and not have to trial and error the situation after fitting all and finding there is an install problem. Incorrectly installed parts will provide you with more that one beep, or a long beep.

Remember, every journey is started with one step, so proceed one step at a time and every journey must be prepared to reduce the problems along the way; so do your homework as others have suggested.

Dymuniadau gorau,
    Touchwood

12. Touchwood

Jokkocze,

I never wear an Electro static discharge (ESD) bracelet, because if you have this connected to the computer case, when the power is switched on, you become the earth for any electrical discharged - bang, SHOCK horror. I ensure that I am working in an area that is as static free as possible. For example I stand on a tiled floor and not a nylon carpet when working on computers. I always discharge any static electricity by touching the computer case and have never had a problem. A colleague of mine who teaches computing and assemble with all of the theory that goes with it, has
    taught me a great deal. But for the noob, we must first explain that static electricity can easily fry computer parts, that is why we ALWAYS have to discharge by touching the computer case before even taking parts out of their specially designed anti-static plastic bags, to commence installing.

I cannot understand why anyone would wish to replace stuff that you broke,
    unless you did not tell the truth and related a sob story to them. If that's the case then get a backbone and stop being a jellyfish, and stop expecting others to fix your stuff ups. People who own and run computer stores are trying to make a living and have bills to pay and families to keep, just like the rest of us.

Touchwood

13. customh

customh conflagration.

Dont go so cheap on the mobo, get an asus a8r mvp 32 or at least an asus a8n sli premium. Other than that and the hard drive it looks good.

14. hitman012

hitman012 Minimodder

Any good ESD bracelet will have a few megaohms of resistance between you and ground to stop exactly this happening... it's why you shouldn't just use a plain wire.

15. Touchwood

Revilo,

Before you can think about installing Windows, you must set up the BIOS, which includes a number of things including the boot up sequence, most set the CD/DVD rom as the first boot up device, then floopy and on to the hard drive. To enter the BIOS set up you must switch the computer on, which starts the POST (Power On Self Test) process. Be ready to press the delete key, which takes you into the Bios set up, when you see "Press DEL to enter SETUP". If you miss it, simply switch off and try again.

Revilo, you have got to do some homework by searching Google etc for build your own PC , where you will find all of the information needed. Otherwise you turn a possible great experience into a disaster. This is your project, so take command and control of it, through knowledge gained to prepare you for the tasks to be carried out.

Touchwood.

16. Revilo

Revilo What's a Dremel?

Wow, lots more help. All of you are very helpful so far. I'll be working on a hardwood floor - there shouldn't be too much static... I think.

17. Lemur 6

Lemur 6 What's a Dremel?

It should be okay. Some people report lowered performance, or stuttering in games and such, but I think it's a load of fanboi BS. Although you might think using an Ati chipset with an Ati GPU is ideal (and it very well might be the case), I'm guessing two entirely different groups work on each, and I'm betting there's very little interaction between the groups; basically no different than mixing chipset and gpu companies.

Also, if there were "compatibility problems" I think you'd hear about them around the forums and on websites like Anandtech or Arstechnica, but I've yet to hear any complaints.

Meh, might want to start a new thread topic and see if any other people have done this and had any problems.

-L6

18. customh

customh conflagration.

True, but his mobo isnt too beefy and at 75 bucks id want something a bit more spendy on the "you get what you pay for" mentality.

19. Lemur 6

Lemur 6 What's a Dremel?

Hmm... sorry, but what was the previous mobo choice? Looks like Revilo took the big spender approach and is going to buy a A8R32-MVP, which is a choice mobo btw.

20. customh

customh conflagration.

Well hell i didnt check back at the wish list good job revilo.