1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Networks Pipex port throttling

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by yodasarmpit, 9 Mar 2006.

1. mf300uk

mf300uk What's a Dremel?

I was hit with this P2P throttle yesterday i have just used my free upgrade to Pipex GO which is 2mb, slap in the face as i im locked for another 12months :eek:(( lmao.
    i will try the encryption feature on utorrent and see if it makes any change.
    one question: i was throttled to 20k last night when i check this morning at 6:15am i was getting 180k so is there a certain time for this P2P throttle. when recieving e-mails from pipex they suggested to make large downloads/uploads between 12am to 8am. this could be why i was getting 180k this morning.

2. DougEdey

DougEdey I pwn all your storage

Try IRC.

I know that when Plus.net cap us they only cap FTP, P2P and Usenet, not the IRC. So I can happily use IRC at 230K+ on a 2MB connection.

3. Murdoc

Murdoc Gas Mask..ZOMG

4. M67

M67 What's a Dremel?

is bethere like a completely different phone company? ie do u have to change from BT to their phone service like bulldog?

5. Sp!

Sp! Minimodder

Can you do the migration thing? or do you need to cancell your pipex wait a week without broadband and then apply to bethere?

Also do I need a new router for adsl max or will my pci modem in my ipcop box still work ok? ( I know you get one free but I like my ipcop!)

6. Murdoc

Murdoc Gas Mask..ZOMG

You use an existing BT line, you migrate to Be as you would any other ISP, and your modem will work only if it is compatible with ADSL2+.

No-one that I have found has exceeded the fair use policy and one guy accidentally downloaded 180GB in one day.

Use this to estimate your line speed: http://beforum.co.uk/forum/default.aspx?f=2&m=3875

'doc

7. Sp!

Sp! Minimodder

Sorry for the minor thread diversion but my modem supports

Supported ADSL standards:
    • ANSI T1.413 Issue 2
    • ITU G.992.1 Annex A (G.dmt)
    • ITU G.992.2 (G.lite)

I guess that's not adsl 2!

Also I've got a attenution of 56 Down stream and 31 up which puts me at about 3 1/2 meg down any idea what kind of upload speed I'd get or know anyway of finding out?

8. Murdoc

Murdoc Gas Mask..ZOMG

Nope its not, you need G.992.3 and G.992.5

'doc

9. buchans

buchans What's a Dremel?

well I dicided to quit pipex and I'm having big trouble getting my MAC code . I have been with them more than 1 year , requested the code .. was told 72 hours and you'll get it... 7 days later I call customer services they tell me I'll get it within 2 to 4 days I bluntly ask the call centre monkey to please think about what he just said "you requested it last wed. it will take 2 to 4 days" he then promptly said 2 to 4 days or more. 8 days and counting, its not got to the stage where I cannot switch providers this month (15days to move to my new one) SO have sneakily got another month of my ££

anyone else having probems moving away from Pipex?

10. yr20405

yr20405 What's a Dremel?

You know the 12 month contract from pipex say after those 12 months would you still have to pay a release fee?

pipex have 2 meg for £17.99 im on 1 meg £23.... so basically im getting ripped off, do you think they would give a free upgrade or would i have to splash out? i might even think about other isp's.

11. Parlous

Parlous What's a Dremel?

Good for you! A useful comparative site too. I still think that any ISP that is currently unlimited will very soon be throttling high bandwidth users. In the medium term with the supposed legal downloading of films, and transmission of TV via broadband very many more people will be contributing to the problem! ISPs will have to get their head around this or you can imagine the outcry if they try to cap these services.

Damn and blast! Just gone over my monthly allowance on Pipex NGs; too many good things on the vintage-tv group! Has anyone found a decent free server that hosts the alt.binaries groups? Or can recommend for a paid-for one?
    Just stumled over
    http://www.guba.com/
    seems to be a Usenet archive and I am dling files for free ie no registration reqd, so may be a useful resource, speedy too at over 80kBps.

Regds Parlous

Tags: