1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Cooling Help me water cool my opteron?

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by s29feb, 9 Apr 2006.

1. s29feb

s29feb What's a Dremel?

I have the following setup:

Opteron 170 with 2GB Ballistix on an Abit AN8 Ultra and a Dual Slot 7800GTX all residing in a Gigabyte 3D Aurora case.

The opty is under an Arctic Freezer 64 Pro which was excellent for my 3700 SD but the 170 is mega toasty and idles high 30's but goes into high 40's low 50's when at load/gaming.

Therefore I have decided to stick it under water and had looked at some all in one kits - the Thermaltake BigWater 735 or the Gigabyte 3D Galaxy. I'm a watercooling noob so the idea of a kit appeals and I don't require a GFX solution because the dual slot cooler is excellent and quiet.

Thersfore I think I'm looking for an all in one pump/res, a 120mm rad and a 939 block. I would like it to be as easy as possible with pushfits etc and to remain as quiet as possible.

The case has excellent airflow/thermal properties and I wonder if this is enough for the moffsets etc as a Normal HSF does some of the cooling for this, and they do get toasty with the opty? This is why I was swaying towards the 3D Galaxy but can all you experts suggest me someting better?

Edit: Sorry forgot to add that the Opty is currently running stock Volts but clocked at 2.5 :thumb:

2. Glider

Glider /dev/null

Is this hot? Wow, then my pc must be cooking... Idle 45ish...

OT: There are plenty good kits out there, the sticky might help you out (otherwise Nexxo and the likes will), but I want to make sure you know what you are doing. WC isn't going to lower your temps a lot, it is just going to lower your difference between idle and load temps. Not that they are bad now, low 50's is acceptable. Also, WC add's a lot of complexity to the whole PC. WC isn't something you should plunge in blindfolded...

3. s29feb

s29feb What's a Dremel?

Been thinking of it for a while now as it the next step in my pc builiding skills ;)

Sometimes with PS's we do things not because we have to but because we can :lol:

Currently I have it so that the fans ramp up when it gets hot and this can annoy the wife (PC is in the living room).

Also I can clock more out of this with a little more volts and it is good for 2.8 easy but it gets REALLY toasty then :worried:

4. clocker

clocker Shovel Ready

If you are only going to include one block in the loop life can be quite simple but there is no need to cripple yourself with an inadequate kit.
    Either a Storm (if you might uncap the chip in the future) or an Apogee (if the IHS will stay in place) coupled with either a MCP655 (if you want a large bore loop) or the smaller MCP350 (native 3/8") and the largest Thermochill PA rad you can fit will get you where you want to be.

Personally I think the key is the radiator...the bigger the better.

5. Da_Rude_Baboon

Da_Rude_Baboon What the?

6. s29feb

s29feb What's a Dremel?

Ended up going for the bigwater 735 as it has some good reviews and seems easy enough to install :)

7. huren

huren What's a Dremel?

You should have gone for the coolit freezone, the system is the pimp of pre built kits and well worth the buck, keeps my 165 nice and cool @ 15 idle and 19 load XD

8. scq

scq What's a Dremel?

I am planning on building an overclocked Opteron machine myself. Tell me how the cooling is, and how far you can push it!

I'd also like to know the mobo/ram you're using.

9. asteroth

asteroth What's a Dremel?

.... :rock: just seen it, awesome piece of kit!

10. s29feb

s29feb What's a Dremel?

I read abou the freezone but may sites said it was very very good but will be excellent in a couple of revisions time so waiting to see how it pans out.

In the meantime this will suit me fine as long as it keep the proc a little cooler without the noise I don't care.

Tags: