1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Windows How Scared did you Get in Fear *Warning Spoilers*

Discussion in 'Gaming' started by Annihilatorrsa, 17 Apr 2006.

1. Annihilatorrsa

Annihilatorrsa What's a Dremel?

Hey guys

I was just thinking and Ive finshed fear and It was of the few games that realy scared the Cr*p out of me.

For me when I play a game I realy get into it especialy if its got a good story.
    Doom 3 to me was not scary it had one or two scenes of fright factor but that was it.

Two scenes the I remember off hand was the first time you meet the cloaking Soilders and when the little girl goes into you :jawdrop: :eeek:
    Was the only game so far to make me jump out of my chair and make me scream like a little girl at the fright I got and then swear at it for scaring the cr*p out of me :):)
    btw ive playing games for over 15 years now :)

Its also the only game Ive played where you can only play it in stints due the unerving nature of the game.
    You guys know what im talking about.

Ive got a friend who played the first 5min of the demo until the guy walked past the door and he refuses to play it any futher and he also bought the orginal of it:)

So go on and tell us where you got scared in fear and what your reaction was. :D :thumb:

Later Peeps

2. ou7blaze

ou7blaze sensational.

It's very good and I've only played the demo version.

The start of the demo is already crazy...just sitting in the car coming out and seeing shadows everywhere, SHADOWS AHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH.

3. Orca

Orca What's a Dremel?

:hehe: :lol:

Whilst the game didn't scare me, it certainly does shock you if you know what I mean. You always get that spine tingling thing that something is gonna happen, so you prepare for it, and it doesn't happen, but then it does when you least suspect it :rock:

I do remember early in the game when you face the girl for the first time and everything's just exploding around etc. All I can remember myself is saying "S**T" repeatedly and emptying my pistol mags into her without knowing it had very little effect :p

4. Wispa

Wispa What's a Dremel?

First time I played I did the same thing.... shamefully it took me a few goes to realise shooting didn't have an effect, nor did running towards her :duh:

Also one of those games that you don't really want people to grab you by the shoulders from behind when you're engrossed with headphones on :grr:

Great game though

5. Hamish

Hamish What's a Dremel?

the bit in the demo where you go down the ladder and as you turn round the girl is at the top, that made me jump, also the bit right after that :p
    and the first invisible guy, when he just suddenly jumps out at you
    that made me jump too, aside from that it was ok
    i kept expecting to see the little girl everytime i went round a corner so it was that shocking when she was there :p

6. McKaamos

McKaamos What's a Dremel?

I've only seen the demo at a friend of mine. It did look very good, but the demo wasnt that scary...
    More like there were some "whuhh?!? wtf?" bits in it.

Too bad my machine is a bit on the slow side to run FEAR.
    Only AthlonXP1700 @ 2083Mhz, 512MB RAM and a GF4Ti4200 128MB card.
    My friend's Athlon64 3500+, 1Gb, GF6600GT even has trouble to keep everything smooth, so my machine running it is just about out of the question.

7. quack

quack Minimodder

Definitely the only game that's ever given me goosebumps on a continual basis. Everytime I saw Alma, everytime I saw Paxton. Very creepy game, with fantastic enemy AI! I loved every minute of it.

8. Veles

Veles DUR HUR

That bit made me jump too :p

I didn't really scare me all that much, just made me jump sometimes. Film and game makers seem to forget that making someone jump and making them scared is completely different. Nowerdays films and games tend to make you jump rather than scare you, maybe thats because we're alot harder to scare nowerdays.

The game's good, deffinitely worth playing through once, but it's not really deserving of all this hype about it. I did go through this game feeling creeped out in lots of places, but it doesn't hold a candle to HL2 IMO.

9. quack

quack Minimodder

I'm playing through the game for the 2nd time at the moment. I'm still getting goosebumps everytime an Unknown Origin event occurs.

10. Shpoon

Shpoon What's a Dremel?

Little children scare me. Period. Movies, games, whatever...when a "innocent" child is portrayed as evil...I **** myself ;)

11. Annihilatorrsa

Annihilatorrsa What's a Dremel?

For me the biggest fright I got was when you get jumped buy those damn invisable and highly flexable guys but that little girl is just plane creepy. :jawdrop:

In hl2 I dint get get scared awesome game though cant wait for the rest of it.

But in system shock 2 had also lots of creep out moments , Argg monkeys :wallbash: I hate those things
    In Duke Nukem 3D those octabrains and slimers in dark places = bad combo :eeek:

12. Veles

Veles DUR HUR

FEAR has to be the best horror FPS game (in terms of the scary, jumpy, creepy and general WTF!ness), although Alma is a pretty blatant Sadako ripoff, which I can forgive them for because that style of evil person is scary as hell when done right.

Although the most scared I've been of a video game was the first zombie cut scene in RE and then having only a knife and a horrible control scheme to fend the zombie off. Looking back on it now though it's quite funny.

13. Stuey

Stuey You will be defenestrated!

The older version of the girl remnds me of the girl in The RING. I'm not sure if that's the same person that Veles is referring to.

The cloaked soldiers actually appear earlier on, when you're walking through some sewer-like place. But whe they start popping out, I was pretty confused.

The spectres at the end levels spooked me bad. It was my fault for playing those levels in a dark room late at night. And then I played it again a few weeks later. =)

14. glaeken

glaeken Freeeeeeeze! I'm a cawp!

the ghosts at the end really creaped me out....

15. DougEdey

DougEdey I pwn all your storage

The best thing (or stupidest) was to watch the Directors Edition extras first.

They build the game up a lot...

16. Shepps

Shepps Slacking off since 1986..

Meh didn't think F.E.A.R was all too scary, and the gameplay was naff too. Don't see what all the fuss about F.E.A.R is tbh. How can office room after office room after office room filled with the same bad guys be good? :/

17. Veles

Veles DUR HUR

I have to agree with you there, the gameplay was pretty naff IMO. It's the major letdown of the game, great graphics, quite spooky (better than any other recent FPS that has tried this), decent story, but the major letdown is the gameplay.

The guns don't feel like they fire, the sound seems drowned out, you get hardly any kickback on the guns and for some reason you can't fire a single shot, even with the sniper rifle and rocket launcher, you have to fire a burst.

The damage system for the game is also bizzare, if the enemy doesn't see you, you can take them out with a single shot to the head with any weapon. As soon as they realise you are there, they need an entire clip of ammo in the face before they die.

Multiplayer is also a pointless addition to the game, seems like more of a last minute addition than a real feature.

That being said, I did enjoy playing it quite alot, but for now it's been uninstalled and will remain that way for a while. A good game, but I really can't see why everyone is so worked up about how great it is, it has many flaws that need to be ironed out for the sequel.

Talking of sequels, the ending frustrated me quite a bit, went through all that and she survived?! I hope they don't make FEAR2 (or whatever it's called) about Alma all over again, if they made this unit FEAR, you would have thought the government knew of quite a few other strange happenings that required some "elite" people.

Actually, anyone know what happened to your mate? I can't remember what they said happened to him at the end.

18. Crazed_climber

Crazed_climber What's a Dremel?

I remember playing that game with one of my friends. We were both so scared. We kept saying "You play it! No you Play it!" cuz we were both scared to hell. Its all about the sound man. I had my surround sound cranked and the base really high. I cant bring my self to play it again.

19. Firehed

Firehed Why not? I own a domain to match.

Never did end up finishing that game (I think I was pretty close to the end though), not really because I didn't like it but because it murdered my system (and unlike Oblivion, you can't play an FPS with *any* degree of enjoyability when it's choppy). It made me jump in a few places, though, probably because it wasn't that insane predictability that Doom3 had. If I ever get that GPU upgrade, I'll probably give it another go.

That and my playing style for the game was generally similar to SC:CT, probably because the AI was so crazy-good. When you play an FPS in a stealthy manner, stuff randomly jumping out at you freaks you out a bit, and I'd argue makes those various freak-out cutscenes that much more freak-out-ey.

20. holiver

holiver What's a Dremel?

I have really enjoyed playing the part of FEAR that I've done so far. It's just a shame that I had to wipe a couple of hard drives and have therefore ost my save game. I don't really feel like playing to the point that I am at at the moment again (an office tower, I believe).

As far as scariest moments go, the ladder was pretty bad, as was the bit in a sewer where it's pitch black and you can hear something running towards you. Luckily it's just rats but Alma appears there too.

Tags: