1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

LG 4167B stopped reading CDs after i placed a new GA-8I945PG mobo

Discussion in 'Tech Support' started by malcolmx9, 19 Apr 2006.

1. malcolmx9

malcolmx9 What's a Dremel?

i upgraded my old rig yesterday to:
    i had this "old" parts:
    i pluged all hardware in it's place, DVD burner 2 the red IDE chanle set as master, 2 HDDs (master & slave) on green IDE chanle and turned on the PC. while it was booting, i saw that the HDDs wern't recognized by bios!
    XP's logo came up as it should, but then i got a blue screen for less then a second and an auto restart!
    i double checked all cables and jumbers, and all is set correctly.

so i removed the extra HD, and set one HD as master on a single cable and burner as master on single cable. same problem.

i replaces the location, i mean i placed the burner on the green IDE2 chanle, and the HDDs on the red IDE1 chanle. pc got up, and all working great, but now the burner can't read any discs!

in other forum, i was told that i can't connect the burner to the green chanle, cuz it will never work on it!
    so now, i have 2 replace the locations again, and place the HDDs on the green chanle and the burner on the red one. but already tried it before and it didn't helped! so what can i do?
    [​IMG]

2. Cirkustanz

Cirkustanz What's a Dremel?

Are you trying to switch your old windows installation onto a new mainboard and CPU? You mentioned getting the windows logo, and then a BSOD, so that implies that you are.

If that is indeed the case, I'm not surprised you're having issues.

I'm also not surprised your hard disks were not recognized, MBR and all.

3. malcolmx9

malcolmx9 What's a Dremel?

i change the Mobo+CPU without installing XP all over again, since i didn't thought it matters. i mean, when i turn on the PC i see in bios that the HDDs arn't recognized...so installing XP all over won't help, since i can't do it when no Hdd is recognized

4. Cirkustanz

Cirkustanz What's a Dremel?

The short answer to what I was going to tell you, is that operating systems are not hot-swappable with non-peripheral hardware.

Non peripheral hardware most certainly includes the cpu and mainboard.

It is possible, although altogether not recommended to use the windows repair installation. Especially for yet another reason:

Your windows activation key is in fact related to the hardware identifiers of the mainboard/cpu.

When you make changes to the cpu/mainboard, that information does not match what the system has, and your windows activation will....deactivate.

Then you will have to obtain a new activation code by, would you like to guess, yes that is right, by contacting Microsoft.

OEM licenses of windows do not allow the software to be installed onto another computer. As it is defined in the license agreement, you have "another computer". They will plainly tell you to shove off.

Full version licenses technically do allow you to be granted a new activation code, good luck getting one if you do indeed have this. Especially considering that you are not located in the Americas or Europe.

Again, the short answer?

Do a new installation of windows.

Last edited: 20 Apr 2006