1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Networks IP adresses

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Glider, 24 Apr 2006.

1. Glider

Glider /dev/null

Hi,

I have a network with 2 routers, 1 connected to the modem via the WAN port (a Belkin gateway, wich sucks) and the other connected to the first one through a hub with the regular LAN ports (thus acting like a switch). Like this:
    Code:
    *MODEM*----*Belkin Router*----*HUB*
                                    |----*Dlink Router*
                                               |~~~~*Laptop*
                                               |----*PC 1*
                                    |----*PC 2*
                                    |----*PC 3*
                                    |----*PC 4*
                                    |----*PC 5*
                                    |----*PC 6*

---- Wired
    ~~~~ Wireless

The 2nd router (a Dlink with wireless) has much more controll options in it's admin pages.

Because of the crappy Belkin (wich is physically unreachable by me, but I have the admin password) I can't assign a static IP to my laptop. I need that, so I can forward the ports needed for an SSH connection from the oustide to my laptop. In my Dlink, passing out static IP's isn't a problem. Now, my question is, can I let the Belkin serve as DHCP server, and let my Dlink hand me out a static IP for my laptop?

Turning of the DHCP function in the Belkin isn't an option, because the Dlink travels with me when I go home every weekend. Than I would have to reactivate the DHCP on the Belkin every time when I leave. And knowing myself, I will forget this sometimes, leaving the rest of the pc's (wich are operated by pc-illiterates) unable to connect.

2. LAGMonkey

LAGMonkey Group 7 error

Yes.
    its called (funnily enough) Static DHCP. It uses MAC addresses to assign IPs that never expire. I use such a system at home so that i can always remember which PC is which.
    Are you Running The stock Firmware on the Belkin and what is its modle number? As if your unlucky you wont be able to do such a thing.

3. Glider

Glider /dev/null

Static DHCP, that seems like a contradiction :)

I'll check the version and firmware on the Belkin when I get there this afternoon(it's at my residence @ school). It has a really weird (and buggy) firmware, wich is the stock one. I can assign IP's automatically (through the DHCP) but if I set the lease time to anything but "never expire" the device crashes and I have to call the landlord to go reset the router in the basement (wich he only has acces to). But I noticed that the adresses actually do expire (if I return from the weekend, the PC has a different one...)

4. Glider

Glider /dev/null

So here I am with more info.

The router is a Belkin Cable/DSL Gateway Router, with the stock firmware v1.00.0000 or something like that. If I try the auto-update function, it tells me that there's no update available.

I set up my Dlink to give my laptop the x.x.x.101 IP adress, but I get x.x.x.95 assigned by the Belkin. I'm not sure if static IP that I'm trying to get is within the DHCP range, because now the Belkin's admin page doesn't load. (I really mean doesn't load... I get a time-out error). Man, I hate the el cheapo stuff my landlord uses. But hey, if I have to call him every day to reset the router, he'll eventually get sick of it.

5. CaseyBlackburn

CaseyBlackburn Network Techie

And if need be you can actually just statically set the ip manually on the computer you want to have the static ip. Just find a IP that doesn't get used, set that as yours and use the belkin router's ip address as the DNS and Gateway ips.

6. kiljoi

kiljoi I *am* a computer king.

That about sums it up. I also have a crappy Belkin router, and I do the same thing. Just give the laptop a static address that's outside of the Belkin's DHCP range, and you should be good to go.

Tags: