1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Wii / Wii U Nintendo is laughing stock of industry

Discussion in 'Gaming' started by Sanescience, 27 Apr 2006.

1. Sanescience

Sanescience What's a Dremel?

Nintendo Revolution has been renamed: Wii.

OMG, it's like they want to fail. So sad.

Joke in the office is $50 to the first company to come out with a WWII shooter for Wii.

2. bloodcar

bloodcar Minimodder

3. mookboy

mookboy BRAAAAAAP

Don't quite see how this will make it fail...

http://revolution.nintendo.com/

Cool little flash movie for the Nintendo We.

4. McKaamos

McKaamos What's a Dremel?

wheeee! :lol:
    Ah well... If the thing is any good, it'll sell.
    Its not about the name, but what game developers do with the processingpower that thing has.
    If it produces good graphics, has nice features and the games for it are very good, the thing will sell, regardless of the name.

I mean, Benq was formerly known as Acer (or at least, it is/was a division of Acer afaik) and their hardware sells. The name sounds tremendously ghey, but their hardware is good, so it sells.

5. BobCobb

BobCobb What's a Dremel?

The name doesn't matter. The hardware, the controller, and the games matter.

The name has a purpose. It may sound stupid to some, but I don't really care. I mean, XBOX. XTRRRREEEEEEMMMMEEEEE.

Wii? WHEEEEEEEEEE!!!!!

Their not marketing towards preteens that want to be cool and hardcore, they are marketing to everyone else. Which is exactly why you don't like the name.

6. Sanescience

Sanescience What's a Dremel?

I didn't say "make it fail", its more like: if it succeeds it will be despite the name. The name is an obstacle to success that didn't have to be.

Simple psychology: How many of the 'cool' kids will use a line like, "Did you Wii your pants when your parents bought it?" or "I bet after getting it at the store you went Wii, wii, wii, all the way home."

It's puerile but kids are that way. The Japanese marketing department seriously missed the cultural context of the pronunciation.

I give it a 50/50 chance it actually ships with that name.

7. Nexxo

Nexxo * Prefab Sprout – The King of Rock 'n' Roll

8. K

K 528491

It won't stop me at all, it's the only new console I'm actually looking forward to, but that won't stop me from commenting on what I think is a horrible piece of branding. Just out of interest, out of any of those products you've mentioned, did you ever question their name when you first heard it? I honestly didn't. They are all double-barrelled buzzwords. Wii, on the other hand, needs far too much explaining and is, quite frankly, completely spurious. All this marketing spiel about 'it's not you or me or us or them it's Wii' is just cringeworthy and superfluous. I think the Revolution brand had been built enough within the gaming community to garner it extremely credible, and then they just throw it all away. I find it quite bizarre.

Just to point out again though, I'm not debating the credibility of the console itself, just the new branding. Branding is important to warrant all this pointless debate... Maybe :D

9. supermonkey

supermonkey Deal with it

Then again, by giving it the new name (and an odd one at that) the gaming world is now buzzing about it. All this publicity is putting the brand right in the front of everyone's mind.

Stupid name, or clever gimmick in disguise?

-monkey

10. Da Dego

Da Dego Brett Thomas

Not only would it be laughable if the name actually STOPPED you from buying it, but it would be another example of how sadly we missed the point.

Think of it...it's SIMPLISTIC. Anyone can and will remember it. It's a tad silly, it's a bit catchy. A name is a marketing gimmick. The very fact that we all are so fervently discussing it simply proves that it is doing its job.

I give them credit. They did something that found almost instant market penetration without being insulting, insinuating, derogetory, or vulgar (leave it to us westerners to warp it immediately). Like it or not, it did just what it was supposed to do.

Oh, and:
    Wii will assimilate yuu. All yuur base are belong to wii. Ok, I'm done now. :)

11. scq

scq What's a Dremel?

As silly as the name, they sure made a splash with it. Everybody's talking about "Wii". Not too bad of a marketing strategy, if in a couple days of announcement, it's already getting so much attention - even if it is because of a juvenilishly stupid name.

12. K

K 528491

Simplistic one syllable brand names are generally poor. I personally see it as developing the same kind of nuances as the Ford Ka. A car that is regularly pronounced 'kah', 'car' or 'K.A.'.

13. Lord_A

Lord_A Boom baby!

Personally I always pronounced it KAK (Afrikaans for sh!t) :lol:

Anyway, Wii...I don't like it, suppose it's something to get used to. But as a few people have already noticed, it has already receiving a lot of attention :baby:

14. Kaze22

Kaze22 What's a Dremel?

Personaly the name Wii has driven me from ever buying one, but then again the controller did it in way before the name. I just can't have something in my living room with the name Wii on it, it's way too kiddie. HDTV, BluRay Player, PS3, Wii??? I don't think so. Good luck on getting any adult gamers going for this.

15. McKaamos

McKaamos What's a Dremel?

Actualy thats dutch. South African people partly speak dutch (their language is a mix of dutch with some other languages).
    Synonyms for it are "poep", "stront", "scheit".

16. SparkuS

SparkuS What's a Dremel?

Success in Japanese market = success.

And as far as 'appealing' to adults goes, Nintendo has never projected that image. This Wii tag fits in nicely with mario, sonic and donkey kong.

But don't try and tell me Nintendo make kids games. If you do you are either wrong, lack an imagination or grew up far too fast. Same applies to Wii.

17. ou7blaze

ou7blaze sensational.

Actually yep the fact that we're talking about it just shows how much attention we're giving this product. Although negative, at least people know what it is.

18. K

K 528491

Just thought I'd point out that this branding is a product of Nintendo of America, primarily. It's actually quite difficult to pronounce Wii, as a native Japanese. So I'm told, at least.

19. Kevo

Kevo 426F6C6C6F636B7300

Nintendo has said time and time again that they don't give a **** what the hardcore gaming crowed thinks or for that matter wants. They want to involve more people than just the gamers there leaving that to Microsoft and Sony. Naming the Rev to Wii in my opinion just reaffirms that position.

20. Nexxo

Nexxo * Prefab Sprout – The King of Rock 'n' Roll

As Da Dego says: it is a marketing ploy that did the trick.

My idea for Wii is to pronounce it as "Why". Picture this commercial:

It hits your retina like a sizzling photonic rainstorm: the consensual hallucination of cyberspace, an eruption of sensory information from your TV screen leaping like a glittering, shimmering digital fish from the surface of a dark, flat lake. Relentlessly you are dragged along, through a wall of flickering images: car chases, star battles, Quentin Tarrantino-like shootouts and martial arts fights. You are the elite soldier taking out terrorists on the battlefield. You are the explorer raiding ancient Inca temples of its treasures. You are the special operative infiltrating secret laboratories and battling mutants. You are the Film-Noir detective taking down organised crime. You are the paranormal investigator uncovering the harrowing secrets of a haunted house. You are a warrior slaying the hordes of Evil. You command armies. You conquer worlds. You decide the fate of galaxies. You live a thousand times. You die a thousand times. You are the player and the game, the dreamer and the dream, the actor and the act. You and the machine are one. You are the Matrix.

Then, just as abruptly, it drops you back on your sofa. Shivering, sweating, breathless and heart pounding with the impact, you look at the flat, dark, undisturbed surface of the TV screen once again. Only two words, pale and bright as the moon light up your living room:

"That's Wii."

Tags: