1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Cooling To W/C or not to W/C?

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by LazyCooper, 26 Apr 2006.

1. LazyCooper

LazyCooper What's a Dremel?

Ok, I've searched all over forums everywhere. I've researched the different specs between h2o and air.
    My question is: Is it truly worth it to watercool? Is it that much a difference over air?

If you think watercooling is the way to go, help a n00b out and suggest some kits. I'm new to w/c and want the best system for my money. Anything I should stay away from? Anything an absolute must?

Thanks guys

P.S. So sorry if there are other topics on this. =/

2. LVMike

LVMike What's a Dremel?

yous the search and tell us what you want to cool, and why. Silence, ocing, ego?

If silence then yes. If Ocing look up your stepings and then decided. IF Ego have a fat bank roll and go at it.

But mostly use the search.
    To help you out some, the most popular kits on this fourm are from,

Aquacomputer,
    Danger Den
    Swiftech...(same design is used by corsair and others)
    cooliance
    and others i know im forgetting

3. Stuey

Stuey You will be defenestrated!

Well, a lot of people get into watercooling to enable better overclocks. I recently splurged for wc equipment b/c a reputable retailer was offering slightly outdated kits on ebay. I got one for relatively cheap (even though it only had a HD waterblock), and after purchasing a CPU block I was set. Why did I buy it? Why not. It's something for me to toy with and although it's more mainstream than ever before, it's still not too common.

But as for if it's worth it or not... for some people, a radiator fan takes the place of several smaller fans. For others, like I said, it's all about getting lower temps for better overclocks. From a scientific point of view, watercooling is a LOT better than air cooling. In a certain volume, water is about 1000 times as dense as water vapor. *Assuming* a similar water to air ratio (I'm not in the mood to verify this, sorry), you have about 1000 times more water molecules than air. Let me ask you a question. Is it easier for 1 person to eat 1000 jelly beans, or 1000 people to eat 1 jelly beans? As such, water has a higher capacity to absorb and release heat due to the increased atomic density. In other words... scientifically there is a huge difference, but only if your application requires increased cooling.

As for recommendations, I'm a noob too so I can't help you there.

4. LazyCooper

Well, my current setup is running all stock fans. It runs a little loud and hot. So after I'm done with this new case I'll be puting everything in it. I've decided it's time to upgrade my cooling. I want it cooler and quieter. I'm trying to decide between some aftermarket fans or a watercooling system. I've heard a lot about watercooling recently and how it's supposed to be so much better. So, I'm trying to decide between Water or Air. If I do decide to watercool, I need some recomendations for systems. I'll want the best watercooling system for my money. I'm tight on budget but I can get more money before this case is finished. So, I'm getting it for cooling and noise. Plus, it does look pretty cool and it's a new challenge for me.

5. LVMike

LVMike What's a Dremel?

If thats the case. look at some of the all in one packages. if your only cooling your cpu swiftech (i mostly use swift, though i have used dangerden blocks) and aquacomputer make complete ready to go kits. the swifty one that i have installed for friends is easy and complete, the varrious kits all come with a block, rad, tubing, rad mount, fan, pump and res for any where from $199 to a complete watercooling setup for cpu gpu and NB for $349
    Aquacomputer kits for just CPU run $359
    Asetek kits run about $299- $349
    Vantec stingray runs $199 but i have never seen or used it.

in general you need to plan on spending about $360 USD give or take depending on what you cool and what kits you use. My set up, using tecs and water cooling GPU and CPU ran about $440

Look around at different manufactures sites and see what you can aford, also look throught the rig gallery. and lastly USE the SEARCH button this is THE MOST COMON QUESTION asked on this fourm. But we all have to start somewhere.

6. Nexxo

Nexxo * Prefab Sprout – The King of Rock 'n' Roll

These days, a very good air cooling setup will match a cheap (poor) watercooling setup easily --and will not cost as much, nor be noisy.

If you just like to try something new, a decent basic kit can be bought from Asetek, Swiftech or Dangerden. Aqua-Computer and Innovatek are also relatively easy kits to mount and perform well.

Keep in mind though, that watercooling is more "free form" than aircooling. You don't just put it in; you have to think about where to put the components best, how to route your tubing etc. Open up your case and study the internals and think of as many different ways as possible as to where to put the components; then choose the shortest and most elegant route.

7. LazyCooper

Sorry, I knew there'd be other threads on this subject. I'll search next time. Thank you for all the help though. I appreciate it. I was looking at some of the Swiftech kits, I've heard a lot about Danger Den so I'll check them out too.

LVMike, you live in Vegas? What part? North for me.

8. s29feb

s29feb What's a Dremel?

I had a low end Kit in the form of a Thermaltake BigWater 735 (Low end but has some great reviews and was pants easy to install). Did keep my oc'd opteron very cool even with 1.5 volts chugging through it. However the pump although quiet did resonate no matter how I mounted it or what I put it on (comp on a glass shelf on wooden floor probably does not help).

In the end it drove me mad so I switched it out for a Thermaltake Big Typhoon as I already had the backplate installed and to be honest this is quieter and keep it just as cool at a normal OC (2.5 at 1.35v or I can do 2.7 at 1.4v) and this handles the temps no probs - although I have excellent and quiet case air movement in a Gigabyte 3D Aurora.

IMHO water is fun and a new experience to toy with and is excellent for bench clocks such as super PI but for day to day running good air is more than adequate :)

Edit: Plus this is ona super toast Opteron 170 :thumb:

9. LVMike

LVMike What's a Dremel?

Green Valley. For me. if you live here stay clear of any of the kits sold at Fry's. they are a rip off and pieces of ****.

10. LazyCooper

Argh don't get me started on Fry's. lol. Getting tired of driving all the way across the city just to waiste time there. You know, for such a big store, I can hardly ever find what I'm looking for.
    Well that's one of the big reasons for my choice on w/c. Vegas gets very hot during the summer. Also, my case has a removable mb tray. Would a w/c system still allow it to be, well, removed? It seems the hoses would stop it. So I'm hearing Swiftech and DangerDen are the best, is that right?
    I am thinking of just upgrading my fans for now and invest in w/c later on. It's just this upcoming Vegas summer is going to be hot as usual and I'm thinking I'll need to cool my case well.

11. clocker

clocker Shovel Ready

General case cooling becomes even more critical after watercooling.
    Components on the motherboard that used to benefit from heatsink airflow ( mosfets, etc.) will need to be taken care of and other parts (such as HDDs, for instance) will still need to be cooled also. If they run hot now, they will still run hot after a waterloop is installed.

12. LazyCooper

I understand that. I can see fans working well with general cooling and air flow. But for high temp hardware such as CPUs and VGAs, I don't see fans doing the trick.
    Although, I have seen many tests where fans and watercooling didn't vary that much/

13. Nexxo

Nexxo * Prefab Sprout – The King of Rock 'n' Roll

Yes, but that all depends on how you design your loop. In Metaversa I can remove the whole watercooling loop along with the mobo tray, without detaching any hoses (although it is a bit awkward to do so). However, if you have a decent case which allows good side panel acces, you don't need to remove the tray in any case.

14. LazyCooper

Well, I'm going to look around for a system. I'll post the system I'm looking at.

Tags: