1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Reverting back to the 'old' style Project Logs

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by RTT, 2 May 2006.

?

What should happen to the Project Log Discussion Threads?

1. Merge the discussion threads with the Project Logs

45 vote(s)
    50.0%
  2. Delete the discussions altogether

6 vote(s)
    6.7%
  3. Merge the discussion threads with the Project logs *upon request of the modder*

33 vote(s)
    36.7%
  4. Merge only discussions with more than, say, 10, posts

6 vote(s)
    6.7%
  1. RTT

RTT #parp

We're about to put Project Logs back to the way it always was rather than the current dual forum setup + Archives that we have at the moment.

Just one thing though - what would you guys like us to do with the discussion threads?

Please read the poll carefully and submit a vote.

Note: For the merge upon the modders request option we would obvioulsy give a time period in which to 'apply' (for want of a better word) to have your project log & discussion thread merged :)

2. RotoSequence

RotoSequence Lazy Lurker

Im of the opinion that merging upon request being the best way :)

3. ozstrike

ozstrike yip yip yip yip

Voted to merge the discussions straight. I'm not sure about the *on the request of the modder* option- what would happen if the modder did not want them merged?
    If it just got deleted if they did not want it merged, then this would be a shame to delete people's input and support, but if they were just kept in separate threads, it would make things even more confusing to some people than they are now.
    I could foresee confusion as to why some logs have separate discussion threads, and how some have discussion in the threads.
    I know the idea to have the reply button linked to the discussion thread was shot down due to need to hack the forum code (security issue), but is there no way to have an option to hide all posts apart from those of the originator, to keep things clean when somebody wants to read the log straight through? I'm not sure whether that was answered yet or not. Apologies if it has.

4. Guido

Guido What's a Dremel?

I say merge all threads. Even if the modder didn't want it merged, someone else could still post in the thread, couldn't they?

Besides, this would make it easier on you guys, where you wouldn't have to pick through the threads saying "merge this one" and "not this one".

5. WizZard

WizZard What's a Dremel?

Merge all threads, IMHO.

A suggestion: Is it possible for a filter to be placed on a thread, specifically in the Project Logs forum, where you could view only those posts by the thread starter. This would keep the benefits of the new style (all pics/info in one place), yet also allow free-flowing discussion. The current vB "Thread Search" is ugly for this kind of search.

Just a thought...

6. chemo

chemo True Jungle Brother

i think it worked well like it was before, it was always good to read discussion there and then rather than jump from thread to thread looking then replying etc etc

7. Shadowed_fury

Shadowed_fury Minimodder

I'd say merge them no matter what.
    The comments add to the value of the logs. :)

8. dutchcedar

dutchcedar What's a Dremel?

I voted for merging them by request, mainly because its the original posters' work that we're talking about and any say in how he (or she) wants it displayed or presented is the most important thing in this discussion. In other words, its really their work and their worklogs, so their opinion is what really matters.

9. hitman012

hitman012 Minimodder

I'd have to agree with ozstriker; it would be nice for the modder to have a choice, but the practicality of that solution isn't great. It'll be best just to merge them all.

10. Firehed

Firehed Why not? I own a domain to match.

Agreed. I'd imagine merging would be a bit of a PITA, unless you just run a little DB hack that changes forumid on the discussion posts from (discussion) to (logs) and "tweak" the threadid accordingly as well.

Good timing too... I think it's about time for me to start a new project. Really just out of something to do more than anything else. My fileserver could use a window :) (actually, so could FF:worried: )

A "view only posts by thread starter" hack would be kinda cool, but there's no better way to maim someone's bandwidth. Loading a couple posts worth of update pics is one thing, the full thread's worth is quite another.

I'd be happy with either, though. Project logs need their discussion to be complete.

11. Axly

Axly slo-mo...dder

I think that all project threads should be merged.

1: The way it is today doesn't work. It was a good attempt to clear up the clutter, but it just doesn't work. As Firehed said, project logs need their discussions to be complete.

2: A mixed format will cause (if possible) even more confusion than the present format. The only reason I still check the project logs now is that the level of quality on projects on Bit-Tech is too high to ignore. With a mixed format I'd probably just walk away from the split up logs for good and stick with the whole ones.

3: I've seen somewhere where the thread creator's posts are marked with a different colour than the other posters, that would make it a lot easier to differ the comments from the actual content. Either that or a way to see "just the goodies" would be great.

No matter what, reverting back to the old format is something I'm very very happy about :)

12. Guest-16

Guest-16 Guest

Ive currently started merging them, so please dont make anymore work for me and whoever else is going to do it. There's like, 300 to do and it's getting hard finding associated threads in the discussion.

You may have to sort out your own threads for consistency, with own post removals, or just PM a mod or something (see forum leaders for who, dont bother RTT).

Last edited by a moderator: 5 May 2006
  13. cpemma

cpemma Ecky thump

Another thing - quite a few of the logs have dead pics, making them pointless. If your log has disappeared, fix the pics & PM a mod or it stays in the Trash Can. :nono:

14. RTT

RTT #parp

Thanks all :)

15. hitman012

hitman012 Minimodder

I've tried to make the join in the PLs fairly seamless now by removing the discussion log starting post from the thread; I haven't had time to do it for all. If you notice one that needs cleaning up, PM one of us and we'll sort it out :)

16. Dot_Kappa

Dot_Kappa 100% Puppet

Merging ,without the request of the modder , for me is the best solution to come back on the old-style . :clap:

17. hitman012

hitman012 Minimodder

All the threads are now merged and the forums will be shuffled back to how they were shortly. Please don't make any more threads in the discussion forum :)

18. RTT

RTT #parp

All done! And now thread posters may open and close their threads/logs. :)

19. unrealhippie

unrealhippie What's a Dremel?

Well to be honest, I think (sorry guys) that the 'old' style sucks.

I want to see what the modders doing, not hundreds of pages of crap to cipher through which somebody saying they need more uv dye and lights.

Logs seperately rocked! In protest im not going to read logs now ;) But on a serious note, the dual thing kicked ass! Means I for one could just look at the pictures, so threads like Soylent green were nice and easy to go through, not HOURS of going through the 41 pages.

Please!

20. ozstrike

ozstrike yip yip yip yip

As I said, there's no way that everybody could be kept happy. While a lot of people liked the split project logs, a lot of modders complained because they weren't getting as much feedback as they would previously. I myself think that the merged logs are better. Even though it takes longer for you to read a log, I think that it makes them better. The modders get inspired by things people say, maybe even incorporate other people's ideas into their mod.

Tags: Add Tags