1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Sony E3 Press Conference

Discussion in 'Gaming' started by bloodcar, 9 May 2006.

1. bloodcar

bloodcar Minimodder

The press conference is just finishing up but I caught the majority of it thanks to Gamestop's streaming broadcast.

Wow... that's all I have to say. Wow. Such a load of ******** and propoganda! I can't believe they actually had the balls to get up on stage and present some of the information they did. I'll break down some of the points that i just couldn't believe.

First, let's start off with the PS3 controller. They reveiled it's final design which is :shock: a silver DualShock controller with built in bluetooth and movement sensors ala the Wiimote. It really didn't shock me as much but the fact that they were saying how innovative it was did.

Next up on the block is the pricing and launch structure. We're going by US Dollars here kiddos. $499 for the 20GB hdd version and $599 for the 60GB hdd. Wtf? You're paying $100 for 40GB? I seriously hope they're planning on packaging more in it then that. I think it's kinda 360ish how they're sehipping out two different versions of the console. Real innovative there Sony (oh, and btw, backwards compatability will be done via emulation like the 360 and not hardware like the PS2).

High Definition. Here we go with Sony pushing their High Definition ********. They're saying that all games will be displayed at 1080p but they forget to note that this will be upscaled to 1080p and not 1080p natively. Quite frankly the hardware is nowhere up to snuff to push the textures and mapping along with lighting effects for true 1080p goodness. We might see that next generation or in a future upgrade but for now it's just upscaled.

PSP and PS3 connectivity. Wow! Hasn't Nintendo been doing this since the N64? They go on to say that the PSP is an unrivaled portable gaming solution blah blah blah.

I wish Sony would quit saying that their **** doesn't stink and just actually do what they say they're doing instead of hyping everything up to where it sells so damn well only to let the consumers down. Sure games are gonna look nice but they're not way advanced on the 360 like Sony has been trying to push. Get off your damn high horse Sony.

Last edited: 9 May 2006
  2. Rd52

Rd52 Minimodder

Pricing is stupid, but it will sell because of bluray

the ps3 remote was pretty smart on their part they are capturing the best of both worlds the GFX and Part of the Wii remote. besides who doesnt move their hands while playing?

HD who seriously tought they were going to pull of 1080p natively?

meh it will sell the only customers they lost was the hardcore nintendo fans who were planning to buy both Wii and Ps3

3. Boon

Boon What's a Dremel?

I agree with Rd52. Nintendo will still gain a respectable market share due to exclusive titles and price point. Sony has simply added another feature that it feels will separate the PS3 from the 360, in addition to Blue-Ray, free equivalent of Live, 1080p support and harddrive as standard. I know Sony are simply immitators but there's a reason their number one for the past decade and, I believe, will be for the foreseable future.

I have to say only a handful of games appealed to me but perhaps more than I currently see with the 360. Besides all that I hope the PS3 doesn't sound as loud as the 360 (I can hope can't I..?:p)

4. NuTech

NuTech Minimodder

After last year's extremely hyped and unrealistic presentation, this year was bound to be a reality check. You can only bend the truth so far when launch is a mere 5-6 months away. What Sony needs to understand is that, fundamentally, there is nothing wrong with their product, they want to promise the universe when the world will do just fine.

For those interested, here are the prices in GBP:
    PS3 20GB model: 499 EUROS (£340)
    PS3 60GB model: 599 EUROS (£410)
    This is based on currency conversions so the final price could vary some.

A few things still remain sketchy. Does it still have 2 HDMI outputs? Also I would like to see some HD geeks take a look at the PS3's HD capibilities. All games running in 1080P? Is anyone else not convinced?

If Blu-Ray does become the dominant next-gen format (personally I hope it doesn't, HD-DVD seems a more well-rounded technology) then without a doubt the PS3 will be a great system with good value-for-money.

5. bloodcar

bloodcar Minimodder

In all honesty, I see Blueray's only leg being the PS3. Look at it from a basic consumer standpoint...

You have Bluray, some new fangled media that the PS3 uses and they're also putting movies out on (kinda like the PSP and the UMD, huh?) and then you have HD-DVD. Now HD-DVD is gonna seem like the better upgrade to most consumers because they're familiar with the DVD format and quite confortable with it. Plus the misinformation that most people believe that HD-DVD is High Definition instead of High Density and that's another chaulk up for the format. Pricing wise, HD-DVD stands to win as the cheapest Blueray players that are supposed to hit the market at the end of next month are around $1000 with prices scaling up. Where as you have the base HD-DVD model that's already on the market with movies available for $499 and prices scaling up (currently only two models on the market this month one being $499 and the other $799). That's another chaulk stick for HD-DVD. Personally, I see the PS3 being the only way that Bluray will become the standard factor in the format wars. Sure they migh coexist with each other once dual drives hit the market but most consumers will only pick one or the other and it's going to come down to pricing and what movies are available on each format.

The PS3 is displaying 1080p pictures, sure, but it's upscaled from 720p or 1080i (can't remember which one exaclt but I'm going to go with 720p as that seems more logical). In order for the PS3 to even produce a game with native 1080p pictures, then we're looking at 10-15fps tops. They might be able to push 30fps later on down the life of the PS3 but at launch...it's not gonna happen.

The one thing that gets me about the PS3 controller (besides the fact that I absolutely hate the placement of the left analogue stick and the dpad) is that Sony outright bashed Nintendo last year when the Wiimote was first unveiled. Microsoft, on the other hand, gave Nintendo praise for it (some might take it as satirical or sarcastic praise at that) but none the less said it was a great idea. Now that the Wiimote has built up so much hype, here comes Sony riding on that band wagon. Good game guys!

6. Rd52

Rd52 Minimodder

7. mookboy

mookboy BRAAAAAAP

That pricing is incredible. Considering how in the UK we never get a straight conversion of currency, I'd say we're going to be on the wrong end of a £400 console here folks. Straight away I'm put off. But the (frankly) expected downscale of the hardware is icing on the cake - as many pundits seemed to predict in reality the PS3 wouldn't be the massively superior piece of kit it was touted as being mere months ago.

I for one am massively disappointed. I'd kind of expected to be tbh, but I was looking for a good excuse to want to buy a PS3 aswell as a Revolution... sorry Wee. That's killed my enthusiasm dead for now unless some developer unveils an exclusive, genuine killer app or the online service can match LIVE.

8. fathom17

fathom17 What's a Dremel?

There certianly will be native 1080p! Have you seen the public cell stuff out there?

Where do guesstimate 7-10fps then at a push 30fps. lol

9. bloodcar

bloodcar Minimodder

Say what?

10. Guest-16

Guest-16 Guest

Single HDMI and single ethenet.

That'll be more £450-475 and £375-400 after tax, mark up in shops and initial demand. Remember new consoles go like nuts cause of fanbois and demand pushes up prices.

The cell stuff out at the moment is tech demos, nothing more. It's not a final game which is why Bit-tech doesnt review in tech demos anymore. You're talking G71 graphics core, sod the cell processors, it's the graphics that's going to have to output 1080p. I'd say it was more realistic to output at 720p and upscale to 1080.

Tags: