1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Electronics screen mod

Discussion in 'Modding' started by merlin 65, 13 May 2006.

1. merlin 65

merlin 65 What's a Dremel?

lol ive never built anything like this so i wouldnt know what was better but it does look very good so i'll save it could you do me one favour though treat me like a moron and explain how its going to work as im not seeing any 12 v power for the actuator

2. Confused Fishcake

Confused Fishcake Minimodder

Also, he actuators don't have a mechanical switch to set end limits, so you would have to add one. While this is doable for the bottom stop, adding one for the top stop could be very hard.

3. merlin 65

im starting thinkin here this is way out of my league and i should start reading practical electronics books lol

4. parag0n

parag0n What's a Dremel?

the actuator power is undernieth the relay, theres a +v and a -v, which you would connect to 12v and 0v on your second PSU.

I dont see a problem with adding the top stop myself, just have a piece of metal or wood or somethign attached to the back of the monitors, so that when the monitors are at the top of their travel, the bottom of the metal is just below desk level, and have the bottom of that bar press a switch. Here is a quick diagram:

[​IMG]

5. merlin 65

you know sinse you mentioned this im sure on my travels ive seen a premade dpdt board that does this prebuilt

6. merlin 65

ok i,ll have a go at your first paragon its the cheapest i got a maplin near me so i,ll just buy a bit of breadboard and give it a go , but as i struggle with circuit diagrams help me out here the emergency cut off what is it and also (i know im stupid lol) the box between +5 and 0v whats that

7. parag0n

parag0n What's a Dremel?

the 'box' is a 1N4148 diode, its there to prevent back EMF (where when the relay is switched off, it sends out some current in the reverse direction for a millisecond or two), which could damage your main PSU.

the emergency cut off is basically a normal toggle switch, like you'd see on a fanbus or something. its connected in between the actuator +v and the relay, so that basically, if something gets stuck in the mechanism, you can switch it off, always a good idea IMO!

I've just been looking at maplins' website, trying to make you a quick shopping list, but i need to know the exact specs of your actuator, mainly its current draw.

8. merlin 65

9. parag0n

parag0n What's a Dremel?

the relay switches back to its normally closed position, meaning that the polarity to the actuator is reversed, running it in the opposite direction.

10. merlin 65

did the above link provide enough info on the actuator that you need

11. parag0n

parag0n What's a Dremel?

Yep, can't do it now as i'm at work, but i'll get something to you later...

12. merlin 65

thats brilliant thanks for that

13. merlin 65

fishcake and paragon could you take a look at this its on anther foum thought it might workand as ive got the second power supply no need to buy stuff http://coolercasesuk.co.uk/showthread.php?t=308 it should operate the up stroke but i'm not sure about the reverse bit anyways take a look see what you think

14. merlin 65

paragon did you manage to get that shopping list together no matter if you didnt weekend and stuff we all need our beer injection lol

15. Confused Fishcake

Confused Fishcake Minimodder

No, that won't work, it would only go one way, and go past the mechanical limits of the actuator, and so break it.

16. merlin 65

lol ok i,ll go back to the first idea then but i havent got a clue what size relays i need from your drawing

17. olly_lewis

olly_lewis What's a Dremel?

But also

Make sure that when you make the mounting assembly and screw fictures its as close to universal as you can get it, or better than that have a removable back plate and just drill the screw holes if you get a different width monitor. It might have a few holes but its out of sight!

18. merlin 65

got that one covered my welding skills are better than my pcb skils ive made a custom plate that looks like a t square an it should fit in the housing once its made which you could say is a drawer working upward rather than horizontal fitted with heavy duty runners to keep it moving smoothly up and down