1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Guide Plasma Ball Mod where globe is 100% on Top

Discussion in 'Modding' started by lifeson, 13 Feb 2006.

1. lifeson

lifeson What's a Dremel?

The old, accepted way of doing the plasma ball mod, is the let about a third of the ball stick out above your case.

[​IMG]

This allowed a tight seal, and since you could never remove the ball from the base (they are sealed) it was your only option . . . until now.

[​IMG]

Here are the steps for this the amazingly simple workaround, followed by pictures :

1) buy a 4" Neosphere Plasma Ball - you can get the regular sphere, but the Mushroom (I call it "the brain") looks better because it is unusual

[​IMG]

2) take a dremel with a cutting bit, and carefully cut a line in the hard plastic collar:

[​IMG]

3) spread the collar open a bit with a large, flat-blade screwdriver - the ball pops out !!

[​IMG]

4) Use a hole saw drill bit, and cut a 3-inch hole in the top of your PC. Insert the base and collar of the Neosphere into the hole. It will fit perfectly in that size hole, and will even grab it tightly as you push it in, because the plastic collar is angled in such a way that the diameter grow larger and larger, the further down you go. But do not push it in tightly just yet - we still need to re-insert the ball and you don't want the hole to be too tight:

[​IMG]

5) Straighten the vertical electrode (they tend to get bent as you are working with the base), and lower the ball back down into the plastic collar. You will need to work it a bit, back and forth, to get it down tightly. The collar is a VERY tight fit, and if you can't get the ball back in all the way, then use some water to allow it to slide down. Do not use grease because that will not allow a tight, secure fit.

Cut the wire on the power adapter, splice it to the 12 vDC source from your computer, and use heat shrink to cover the leads.

Set the switch to the ON position (not the sound-activated position !! ), plug the 12 vDC power in, and you are done !! Here is the awesome result - the Neosphere is the highest quality ball on the market, and has piercing, bright electrical trails . . . unlike some of the other mini-plasma balls, these are very, very active :

[​IMG]

2. drax

drax What's a Dremel?

Call me odd, but wouldnt the Electromagnetism caused by the coil and electricity in the plasma ball be a certain threat to magnetic data storage devices, harddisks, cmos etc

3. Drexial

Drexial Minimodder

have you ever taken a magnet out of a HDD, they are smaller then big speaker magnets, but just as strong, in some cases(depending on how good your speakers are) stronger. so i dont think its doing too much damage.

honestly i like the fact that it only sticks out alittle, not wll the way

4. Confused Fishcake

Confused Fishcake Minimodder

What would look amazing, is if you could place a ring of 20 electrodes around the base of the ball, then switch them with high voltage transistors so the plasma spun.

5. K.I.T.T.

K.I.T.T. Hasselhoff™ Inside

the magnets in hdds arent dangerous since they won't produce an induced current in any electronics un-like electro-mangnetism which will nproduce an induced current (depending on the voltages you looking at) (also in EM field terms 1Kv (1000vdc) unshielded will produce an EM field strong enough to damage in a 1cm radius therefore the balls use about 8-10Kv so anything within 8-10cm of it is at some risk)

6. MrMacomouto

MrMacomouto What's a Dremel?

7. Mnet_Gaming

Mnet_Gaming What's a Dremel?

that looks awesome, any more pics?

8. gideon

gideon What's a Dremel?

glass is one of the best non-conducting materials i don't think you will have any problems with EM or something.

9. Brubacker

Brubacker What's a Dremel?

just try and put 1000Volts on a piece af glass end it starts to conduct ( so it's a better conductor then air ) especially when it's hot ...

but in this case it won't get so far, so no problems as far as I can see :)

BTW : Nice guide lifeson

10. olly_lewis

olly_lewis What's a Dremel?

Cant seem to see the images, you post them on image shack or a personal web page, have you moved them, and could the bandwidth allocation be used?

It sounds great though would love to have a look see.

11. sk8ter646

sk8ter646 Minimodder

yeah same here this sounds good but i cant see any pictures

Tags: