1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

New System No Monitor Signal

Discussion in 'Tech Support' started by onggie, 26 May 2006.

1. onggie

onggie What's a Dremel?

Hi,
    I am having problems with a system I built for a friend, the system is as follows;

Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-G1975X-C
    CPU: Intel Pentium D 930 Processor
    HDD: Western Digital SATAII 250GB 16MB 7200RPM
    GPU: Gigabyte 7800GT
    PSU: Silverstone ST60F 650W Modular Power Supply
    RAM 2x: Corsair VS1GB667D2 1GB Value Select PC-5300 DDR2 RAM

He is using a Diamond Digital 19" LCD 8ms, now everything is connected up but when I power on the computer the monitor doesn't wake up, it stays in standby mode. The monitor works as I have tested it on other computers and so does the GPU. I am not sure why the monitor is not turning on.

Any help would be appreciated thanks.

2. Hiren

Hiren mind control Moderator

Is the resolution set higher than the LCD's native display? Try lowering to 800x600 or something.

3. onggie

onggie What's a Dremel?

The monitor won't turn on, this is the first time booting the computer. I don't get any beeps from the computer either.

4. Hiren

Ah right sorry I thought you meant only the monitor wouldn't display anything.

So you've checked the monitor works with other computers? and same with the 7800gt?

So what happens with the actually computer itself when you try to switch it on? Any fans moving at all?

Onboard speaker plugged in? Check all the power connectors have been plugged in properly.

5. onggie

onggie What's a Dremel?

Hehehehe no worries, yes the mointor works I am using it at this present moment and the same with the GPU. When I boot the computer all the fans turn on like usual, northbridge and CPU heatsink fans work properly and I get no beeps what so ever. All power plugs have been plugged in properly, except I have looked and see if the HDD activity lights are working properly. I'll check that ASAP.

Thanks

6. onggie

onggie What's a Dremel?

Ok so I figured out why the monitor wasn't turning on, the ATX 12v connections is what I forgot to plug i :S. But now I am still having problems, the computer doesn't even get to the part that tells you what devices it recongises, I can't even enter the bios and the computer just resets its self. Sometimes it will get through it all showing me what is connected to the motherboard and I am able to goto to the bios. But that has only happen twice.

7. hitman012

hitman012 Minimodder

Unplug everything unnecessary so that you've just got on stick of RAM in the first DIMM slot, a video card, the power supply and CPU (+heatsink) plugged in. Try booting it then; if it fails, then swap the stick of RAM for another and try it again. It sounds to me like you've got a memory or motherboard issue...

8. onggie

onggie What's a Dremel?

Tried swaping the RAM around and that didn't solve the problem.

EDIT: Just had a look at the LED which tells me what it is doing on POST and the computer stops on error 52h: Test all memory (clear all extended memory to 0) and then it resets it's self.

Last edited: 26 May 2006
  9. Krikkit

Krikkit All glory to the hypnotoad! Super Moderator

Sounds like a memory fart then. Try some diff. RAM? Have you tried a single stick in various slots?

10. onggie

onggie What's a Dremel?

Yes I have tried that, I just tried just booted the computer again and it came up with this

CMOS Checksum error - defaults loaded

I have no clue what that means.

11. hitman012

hitman012 Minimodder

Could be a problem with the motherboard battery if it continually displays that - it means that it's lost the information contained in the Flash chip that stores settings while the power is off.

I'd try some new RAM and, if that fails, replace the CMOS battery with one from another motherboard to see if that helps.

12. onggie

onggie What's a Dremel?

Well I think it might be working since it is saying DISK Boot faliure insert system disk. So I guess I will try put on Windows XP.

13. onggie

onggie What's a Dremel?

Ok Windows freezes while installing and I still get this

The LED tells me the computer stops on error 52h: Test all memory (clear all extended memory to 0) and then it resets it's self.

14. felix the cat

felix the cat Spaceman Spiff

have you get any compatible ram that you could test in this rig?? or take the ram out and test that in another pc that you know works 100%??

15. Hiren

Failing that run memtest. It seems to be a memory issue.