1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Electronics Wireless runs-on-a-battery carry-around-the-house display thingy.

Discussion in 'Modding' started by alvinkanarbik, 24 May 2006.

1. alvinkanarbik

alvinkanarbik What's a Dremel?

So the other day I was wondering, with all the people making psone display mods, has no-one thought of a wireless runs-on-a-battery carry-around-the-house display thingy? Maybe using a small lcd display would work better (if all)?

With all the wireless multimedia stuffs going around, why not make one? Have to go to the bathroom while watching HDTV or something? Don't miss anything, just grab the display and be on your way. Or outside in the sun. It could even include one of those laptop mouse substitude things which you can control with one finger for, say, full screen control or stuff. Want to spy on your parents/brothers/sisters, install it secretly and you're set for at least a couple of years of no boredom.

So. Possible? And moreover, would it be pointy?

2. ElThomsono

ElThomsono Multimodder

So, a laptop.

With the screen on backwards?

The biggest problem would be transmitting the video signal, and then displaying it. The battery thing'd be easy. The easiest way to do it IMO would be with a laptop running linux, as part of a network. There is software out there that displays video on another PC as if it was a monitor, but it'd limit the functionality, so having a full OS would be just as easy.

Welcome to bit, are you seriously considering the mod or is it just a thought? :)

3. mclean007

mclean007 Officious Bystander

a.k.a. a tablet PC? :D

4. ElThomsono

ElThomsono Multimodder

Pretty much, but more along the lines of "junked together with parts off ebay" than state of the art touch screen.

I like the idea, being able to just shift the monitor somewhere else and keep watching a film would be cool, but to get that with audio etc, you're going to need more than just a battery. I just assumed it'd be easier to go the whole hog than mess about with seperate components.

5. darkhunter

darkhunter What's a Dremel?

ha wow I have this tablet right now that the case on it was destroyed in a car crash but the tablet still runs fine, was just out looking for ideas of what to do with it was orginaly just going to turn it into a ditigal picture frame that I could watch movies on via Sagetv but this idea is much better. what programs would you use like I said I was just planning on useing sage since I have my server set up for sage already, and now off to make the case

6. olly_lewis

olly_lewis What's a Dremel?

No even worse, like a smart monitor *shudders* The vien of Microsoft's existence, they'll never been forgiven.

7. star882

star882 What's a Dremel?

If you don't mind low quality, get a portable LCD TV and a small TV transmitter (RF modulator and some amplifiers).

8. Brubacker

Brubacker What's a Dremel?

A wireless character LCD has been done ( he used a LPT or COM LCD and transmitted those signals in the air ( RF ) )
    It worked great, but is hardly impossible to do it for a decent LCD screen.
    I heard something about laptops with removable wireless LCD screens, but they never continued developping it because they would need a extra transmitter ( more power consumption ) and they would need an extra battery in the monitor ...

9. mattthegamer463

mattthegamer463 What's a Dremel?

I saw a wireless TV in a electronics store a few months ago. Sony has one out and some other companies too. They have a base station and the video is streamed to the wireless LCD, which is battery powered. Only works within like 20 feet though. Its pretty cool, but how nessisary is it?

10. shinobi_h2o

shinobi_h2o What's a Dremel?

Micro$oft has such a display.
    Looks like it runs on an embedded system (maybe a simplified handheld) via WiFi connection. It also features a touchscreen, a virtual 'on-screen' keyboard, USB inputs (for 'external' keyboard and mouse), and built-in speakers.

I guess it communicates through 'Remote Assistance'.

You need to have a wireless card and Windows XP installed on the 'host', though.

I don't know about the prices, probably a bit expensive.
    Great, great idea, anyway.

11. bubsterboo

bubsterboo What's a Dremel?