1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Modding Painting...Sandpaper?

Discussion in 'Modding' started by Half, 22 Jul 2002.

1. Half

Half What's a Dremel?

I live in a tiny little town in Northern Minnesota (US) that has decided that 400 grit sandpaper will make a good enough funish...and they don't cary anything higher. Does anyone know a place I could get higher grits online...all I can find is 400.

2. G8way

G8way What's a Dremel?

First places I would look would be Home Depot, Lowes, or a store like Hobby Bench.

3. linear

linear Minimodder

Welcome to the boards, Half.

Try looking in an auto parts store.

You are looking for 3M wet or dry sandpaper. Even a Wal-Mart should have it, but look in the auto section not the hardware/paint section.

While you're there, grab a sanding block. And always wet sand on a case. you can keep a bucket of water handy with a couple drops of dish washing soap in it, and dunk your block frequently, or you can sand in a sink or shower with a steady stream of water flowing over your workpiece.

By wetsanding, you prolong the amount of time that your paper will 'cut' the paint, which is more important as you move into finer grits.

4. eddie_dane

eddie_dane Used to mod pc's now I mod houses

I looked for it at Home Depot and Lowes and couldn't find 1000, 1500, or 2000 wet dry. And after talking to Linear, low and behold, found it at Wal-Mart next to the car touch-up paint. I got: rubbing compound, 3M wet-dry sandpapers, and a rubber 3M sanding block... I also scored an awesome Powerpuff Girls air freshener... :worried: but that's not important (don't go shopping for mod equipment with your daughter)...

5. Jamie

Jamie ex-Bit-Tech code junkie

LOL ... wallmark r0cks...

Got my headphones from there :)

6. YodaTuna

YodaTuna What's a Dremel?

Heyy what little town? I used to live up north before I became a city boy :p