1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Notebooks Coke + Inspirion Keyboard = Sticky Keys

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by monkeyville, 27 May 2006.

1. monkeyville

monkeyville Evilish Monkey ++;

So my mate dropped coke on his laptop. The laptop still works through a combination of quick thinking of pulling the battery out then hairdryer followed by a spell in front of a fire. It now powers on however the keyboard is sticky and the keys dont all work. I was wondering if it could be cleaned and if so how? The Warrenty is 12 days out of warrenty (sods law) so where can anyone recommend a new keyboard should he have to replace it?

2. olly_lewis

olly_lewis What's a Dremel?

My "my mate" do you mean you dropped coke on YOUR laptop, its ok we wont laugh...
    The best thing he can do is taking it into a small repair outlet, not PC world etc, and they'll give his laptop an overview and see what they can do, but it will be pricey... sods law, as you say.

3. tank_rider

tank_rider What's a Dremel?

I just had to do a bit of "investigaative maintenance" on my mates laptop and found the keyboard supprisingly easy to remove. It may be worth having a play as if its easily removed you might be able to give it a soak, wash and dry to clean it up. I'm not sure if lappy keyboards use membranes or switches though, switches making the drying process take a hell of a lot longer than a membrane one.

4. olly_lewis

olly_lewis What's a Dremel?

Yer but does that solve the problem with the keys that arnt working? If you let it dry the sugar will crystalise and then stick to the membrane, or switches, and even drying and washing won't solve that. Only replacing the membrane and the cirusit board will do that.

5. monkeyville

monkeyville Evilish Monkey ++;

Nah it really was one of my mates that dropped coke on it. I tend to break screens instead :D

Anyway i was thinking of just replacing it with an eBay special because its only £40. Might even ship one from the states where they are £10. It still works to a degree.

6. bender386

bender386 What's a Dremel?

just get a crap usb keyboard and some duct tape and BAM new keyboard ( just dont try to close the laptop).

but if you want it to be done "good" then i would take it to a laptop fixing place.

7. Flibblebot

Flibblebot Smile with me

Remove the keyboard (they are easy to remove) and stick it in the dishwasher (top shelf, no detergent, no drying cycle). Let it dry naturally overnight then reconnect.

8. Tomm

Tomm I also ride trials :¬)

It obviously depends on the particular laptop, but my housemate did the same to his HP Laptop (I think) and he just bought a new keyboard and boshed that in. They're suprisingly easy to remove - Just a few screws to undo the casing and then one cable for the keyboard. I think it cost him about £20 all in all, and we even managed to fix his trackpad whilst we were in there (It had been broken way before the spillage).

9. MrMacomouto

MrMacomouto What's a Dremel?

Wash in destilled water....

Take a look at how much damage you caused first though...

10. TheMuffinMan

TheMuffinMan Minimodder

Well depending on how comfortable you are with dismantling things, you have two options in my mind

1) Take it apart , clean it with distilled water at your house and lay the parts out to dry for several days or bake them ( 200oF + 3-5 minutes or so)
    2) Take it apart , clean it with an electrical degreaser/ cleaner, I've got one called Electro-sol, got it at my local hardware shop and clean and dry with paper towels or what not

Or pay someone to fix it