1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

RFID tags and magnets...

Discussion in 'General' started by Lorquis, 7 Jun 2006.

1. Lorquis

Lorquis lorquisSpamCount++;

Now as some of you may or may not know, very soon I'm gonna be pulling finger out arse and getting a 2mm*12mm Glass RFID chip implanted into my left hand (EM4102 to start with, then I'm likely to get another chip in the future, which will most likely be iCode Tagit or HiTag)

Now obvious complications aside the one I'm most concerned about at the moment is are the tags attracted to magnets, and also will any magnet cause any damage to the chip/data stored.

I have a few tags around (oyster card type stuff) but no reader to check if it would do anything.

And before you say, I have googled for it, and if I've been a spaztard then just help me out cause I cannot find any answer at all...

Cheers guys.

2. FliesLikeABrick

FliesLikeABrick What's a Dremel?

no it would not be attracted to a magnet.

If RFID chips were magnetic and could be disrupted by magnets, then they wouldn't be used in such things as store alarm systems and many others.

Also, why do you think they make it out of glass?

Lastly, googling "rfid destroy magnet" answered your question instantly. I have a hard time believing you googled for this.
    http://www.google.com/search?num=10...&ct=result&cd=1&q=rfid+magnet+destroy&spell=1

3. yodasarmpit

yodasarmpit Modder

Just one question, why are you having this implanted in the first place ?

4. MrWillyWonka

MrWillyWonka Chocolate computers galore!

My thoughts exactly!

I'm assuming that you are having a passive RFID put inside you (Hardly think you'll like a battery in an active RFID!) and all passive tags have a chip in it with data and the only thing it can be made out of is metal (although it may be implanted on glass).

Passive tags have permanent non-magnetic data which means although a very strong magnet may attract it a teeny little bit, it's not possible to remove data off it.

5. seebul

seebul Minimodder

Why would you want one of these put in your hand?? Whats the use for it?

6. DreamTheEndless

DreamTheEndless Gravity hates Bacon

Among other things, it could be used as a key on an electronic lock. That would be pretty cool - you could be the only person capable of opening your front door.

7. ozstrike

ozstrike yip yip yip yip

Unless somebody cut off your hand :D

8. Ramble

Ramble Ginger Nut

Wouldn't you go to a hospital if someone cut off your hand?

9. RotoSequence

RotoSequence Lazy Lurker

Big brother will watch you more closely...

10. Lorquis

DreamTheEndless claims the virtual cookie on this one, it will be mainly used for door security and also silly little things such as unlocking my PC etc.

FliesLikeABrick: I have indeed googled for it, but for some reason the only keyword I neglected to use was destroy... It's been a hot day ok?

Also store alarm RFID tags are very primitive and only hold one bit (IIRC) Think more along oyster card/speedpass/any noncontact access card but the chip being embedded into glass.

Also to answer your fasecious question regarding the material surounding the RFID Chip I've selected is because all the supliers I've been researching (Mannings, Phidgets, VeriChip (not going with VeriChip though, too proprietry)) do infact state they are made of glass, and also maybe the fact that people I know of that have already been tagged, of which most famous are Amal Graafstra, and Mikey Sklar both have glass encased EM4102 125KHz RFID chips implanted.

If you only posted to try and make me look stupid, you accomplished only in making yourself looking immature.

MrWillyWonka: Yes the tag which I'll be getting will be an EM4102 125KHz 2mm*12mm Glass RFID tag, which as with all the other EM4102 are indeed passive, I don't think they make any active tags which would be small enough to implant, nor would I really want one, they're a long range tech rather than the <2" that I want. I know tags can't be 'cloned' as such, but the signal can be played back to the reader if you really wanted to go to such an effort, which seems like overkill to be able to log into my mac... besides all you'd find is my portfolio, hardly theftworthy!

And as I said earlier, and to reduce further confusion, the tag is obviously metal, but encased in glass to make it more sterile. (Obviously I know that whatever tag I get, it will need sterilising proper, and furthermore I know I can't use an autoclave)

Just to clear something up for you though, Some passive tags are read/writeable too. Take the Philips HiTag S for example, it has roughly 1kbit of writable memory (IIRC, it may be 256bits or there abouts, it's been a while since I read the spec) plus a crypto facility, along with the unique code as with the EM4102. The HiTag however is 13.56MHz as apposed to the EM4102 which is 125KHz.
    ---

I'm more concerned with a magnet say from an HDD getting 'stuck' to my hand, or even worse damaging the antenna or the chip or any of it really!

Thanks for the answers so far though!

11. DougEdey

DougEdey I pwn all your storage

One thing I think may cause a problem is if you ever needed an MRI, those magnets are MASSIVE even the tiny amounts of solder in an RFID chip may rip it from your hand painfully.

12. Lorquis

Doug: That is one this I have concidered at much wincing... that's why I wanted to know about magnets in general, I don't want the thing migrating against a vein or a nerve or something just because I had some playtime with a dead HDD or some such..

Roto: Unless Big Brother can get within 2" of my hand they can sod off, besides all they'll get is a number.. they can't track me like GPS or some such, besides if they wanted to, I got like 10 mobile phones, they'd be easier to track them to be honest!

13. olly_lewis

olly_lewis What's a Dremel?

You'll be the £6 pound, you'll have to run while humming de deh de deh de deh and move in slow motion...

14. woof82

woof82 What's a Dremel?

^ wtf?

I think getting a tag sounds quite amusing. I would deffo go for a read/write one. Where do you go for the implant? How much is it?

15. Lorquis

I'm weighing up the options of either going to a piercer, or a self insertation job.

Tags tend to cost not much more than $2 for a 2x12.. and a 125KHz reader from phidgets costs $58ish. They are the read only ones though.

The 13.56MHz ones cost a bit more for the tag, and a prohibitive amount more for the reader, so I'll be waiting a while before I go that route.

16. Da_BaCoN

Da_BaCoN Minimodder

Lorquis, I'm really excited to hear/see (I want pics!) how this works out for ya.

If ya want some more info. on this whole process, I recommend reading these two articles.

Also, I'd recommend going to a COMPETENT piercer, as opposed to a DIY scenario or going to your average "Joe Piercer". Try to see if you can find someone with experience in beading/implants and similar procedures. Alternately, you could try to find a doctor to do it (in one of the those articles, he used a cosmetic surgeon to do it).

Looking forward to updates!

17. Firehed

Firehed Why not? I own a domain to match.

Sounds like the time the Mythbustes tested tattoos that have trace amounts of metal in them against an MRI. Wasn't a problem until they brought in a tupperware container full of tattoo ink, which is hardly trace. I seriously doubt that would be a problem, though asking a doctor (not a geek at Bit pretending!) would be a wise idea.

18. dom_

dom_ --->

As for implanting it, don't use a piercer.
    Very few piercers in the UK have experience with sub-dermal implants and the ones that do shouldn't. As its not technically legal for them to do so in this country.

So its probably best to get a doctor to carry out the procedure.

19. Lorquis

Bacon, Read those articles a looooong time ago hehe I was researching Amal and Mikey, Kai, Stevo etc for aaaaggggeessss, but thanks a lot anyway dude!

There's a guy who does sub dermals in Brighton, and he did Stevo's tagging with scalpel taper and a whole load of blood...

There are a few scenareos I'm looking at for the time being, such as; Finding a nurse that is qualified to do things like contraceptive implant (which for the unknowing males around here... is a sub dermal implant of progesterone (female pregnancy hormone) offerred free on the NHS... damn women... YOU GET ALL THE COOL FUN!), That guy in brighton or someone closer to home..., Doctor (highly unlikely) or a DIY with an animal tag injecter gun.

for a few of the options I'm thinking of having it done with the gun from jecta.co.uk (as for the more observant around will note mikey sklar did it this way too) and some numbing agent (most likely lidocane if i can get hold of it...

I'm not likely to do this for a month/as soon a I have money, but it's better to be in a hell load of preparation for something like this, and yes, there will be videos, and yes there will be photos!

20. woof82

woof82 What's a Dremel?

You're not a real man if you use a numbing agent. :p