1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

HP5-SERVER

Discussion in 'Project Logs' started by Defyant Mods, 5 Jun 2006.

1. _Dan_

_Dan_ What's a Dremel?

great update, i really like your work and find it very inspirational, :thumb:

did this power supply come as standard with your LCD or did you mod or make one id love to see a pic of it, as i was thinking of taking your idea for the flush fit LCD and modifying it so it swivels out so you have a better veiwing angle of it

Dan

2. gbeeby

gbeeby What's a Dremel?

wow you really have some design skill

no only that but you are increadably good with bondo too !!!!

3. RotoSequence

RotoSequence Lazy Lurker

Uh oh, Defyant is at it again :thumb:

4. olle

olle What's a Dremel?

subscribed!!!

5. G4m3R_X3r0

G4m3R_X3r0 What's a Dremel?

Speechless... Keep on going.

6. alonso_bistro

alonso_bistro I'm just looking

still the best ;)

7. MoOstick

MoOstick What's a Dremel?

The only thing with you Defyant is that each time there's an update or a new project, my computer looks uglier and fuglier than before.... :waah:

But I must say I love the way you adapt things, your bondo skills, your paint skills are :jawdrop: :jawdrop: :jawdrop: :jawdrop:

Keep on surprising us !!

8. Defyant Mods

Defyant Mods Multimodder

Ty all again guys! it's great to see all the old faces again too! thanx for the support once again guys! :thumb:

Soz guys been soo busy with HP3 forgot to update this!!!

Dan will get some piccys posted for ya asap mate!

Alonso my mentor! :dremel: It's has been a long time between drinks friend :) hope to catch up with you very soon!

HDD BOX is simple by design, orig the idea was to use an old plex rack from a clear case i had here, but i thought a custom made

matching black HDDBOX would suit the mod better.

Ive decided to go with a max of 6 HDDS... thats more than a enuf for a few TB's and will allow me to keep my antec350 psu in service.

Just to spice things up a bit ive decided to mount the Upper and Lower HDD's in and an angle! :)

[​IMG]

The top 3 HDD's will slid in Upwards! and the bottem three Downwards.

[​IMG]

to help with the HDD mounting holes... a small " Hole Jig" was made.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Drill time!

[​IMG]

For Guide runners a long strip of 3mm Sqr rod is cut into 12 strips

[​IMG]

Glue time!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

4 Workshop drives are slotted in for a test look

[​IMG]

The Rack is sat in the case for final bracket mesurments and to check clearances on the rest of the parts.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

With the Side LCD panel mounted as well.... it's tight but a few CM's is more than enuf clearance all round.

[​IMG]

9. rowin4kicks

rowin4kicks a man walked into a bar ...

that is a great idea!
    i had been wondering on how to mount some diagonal hdds but i might have to pinch that idea (credit where due of course)
    also doesn't it direct the air flow towards the mobo

keep the updates coming :D :D
    lovin the work you are doing on these HP cases

10. _Dan_

_Dan_ What's a Dremel?

:sigh: i now what you mean MoOstick, im loving the hard drive rack, and i hope it helps nock a few *C off your mobo temp

im looking forward to the pics of the psu to :) cheers Defiant

11. Jipa

Jipa Avoiding the "I guess.." since 2004

There's sticky rumours that say HDDs do not like to be in that kind of angle, aren't you worried? As far as I've understood they are supposed to be used in 90degree angles...

12. Phat Ass

Phat Ass What's a Dremel?

Apparently its due to the extra preassure on one side of the bearings being on an angle, not being designed to run in that orientation and such. By the same token you're also noot supposed to change the angle of a drive once its bedded in for the same reason but ive never had a problem with that particular aspect, havent heard much about angled drives tho.

Great case btw, rather liking the front LCD too, very nice

13. Bullitdodger

Bullitdodger If it ain't broke....Tweak it.

That glue you use....What is that?

14. jakeiswicked

jakeiswicked What's a Dremel?

The front LCD looks very cool dude, the hard drive rack is a brilliant idea and seems to work well

15. perplekks45

perplekks45 LIKE AN ANIMAL!

Oh my god he's back at it!

Been away for a few days...(www.RockAmRing.de) I'm back now and what do I see? You're doing it again!
    Outstanding as usual. Great idea with the HDDs and I still love the way you treat you mesh. ;)

16. scifi3018

scifi3018 Minimodder

As far as i (and physics) are concerned, the HDDs will be fine in any orientation. The only only problems with orientation that i could see is changeing the orientation while spun up, as i think the platters might behave like a gyroscope, however, i wouldnt see any problem with spinning the platters at an angle, as once its spun up, its reluctant to change
    IE: the platters trying to reorient themselves parrallel with the ground would not occur.

17. jrs77

jrs77 Modder

As far as I understand physics this orientation result in shorter life to the bearing of the drive, because the weight is not evenly spreaded. So the best orientation for a drive would always be horizontal.
    But who cares?!? Don't would do too much harm ;)

18. alonso_bistro

alonso_bistro I'm just looking

horizontal or vertical with 5° +/- , lot's of people tell me that when i was working on my mod.

19. Defyant Mods

Defyant Mods Multimodder

Cheers guys :) there will be 3 or 4 2-250 gigers a 160 main and a 300G ... i'm hoping !
    that the +/- ° isnt a prob! i'll let yas know in a few months :)

I needed to devise mount and link system, this lil bracket took me amost a day to come up with!!!!

the idea behind this is to have "some adjustment" in the the screen when alining and bolting the screen in.

The Main bracket is just a solid peice of plex that is perma glu'd to the inside middle of the Front fan box.

[​IMG]

The common or joiner link will be this bent peice of plex, this will act as a swivel joint that will allow for adjustment both sideways
    and back and forwarth.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

The link is bolted the the main mount wicth is drilled ansd tapped.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

@ this stage the link is left finger tight to allow for movement and silicon tape is applied.

[​IMG]

20. Defyant Mods

Defyant Mods Multimodder

Rather than trying to guess work or measure the right spot to stick the LCD to! the best way to ALIGN the LCD up with
    its new link bracket is cheet by temperarily sticking the LCD to the front panel!!

[​IMG]

Then it's just a matter of removing the silicon tape's backing and silding the Whole unit in so it presses up against the LCD!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Once the LCD has stuck to its new bracket...the front panel can be removed leaving the LCD stuck to its new bracket

[​IMG]

the whole LCD is now an adjustable unit allowing it to but up perfect against the front frame :)

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]