1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Modding Is PS1 Gamevue lcd a better choice vs Sony lcd?

Discussion in 'Modding' started by Castle02, 26 May 2006.

1. Castle02

Castle02 What's a Dremel?

I recently bought both lcds and from the how-to guides I've read, the Gamevue only needs a 12V source for power where as the Sony lcd requires a 7.5V line. So, you could just tap into a molex line for power and not have a car adapter wired in. Am I understanding this correctly or does the Sony make a better choice just because of quality?

Rich

2. pingthepiratehobo

pingthepiratehobo What's a Dremel?

isnt there some way to wire up your molex so it gives 7.5 v instead of 12?
    some fan undervolting method i saw in modding/electronics once i think

3. GuardianStorm

GuardianStorm Minimodder

yeah, kind of. you just use the screens car adaptor, which converts the cars 12V down to 7.5V

The Sony is better because you can follow any numbewr of guides on how to VGA mod it, however third party displays (I have a Competition Pro) dont have the same circuit boards, and thus the PSOne guides are slightly redundant. however the other displays are easily hooked up via the Svideo - Composite method.

4. Warrior_Rocker

Warrior_Rocker Holder of the sacred iron

If at all possible go with the Official PS1 lcd, dont let a small think like powering it deter you, it is easily corrected by either using its car adaptor, or a 7807 regulator, which couldnt be simpler to hook up. Also the PS1 lcd has excellent quality compared to other screens, and the vga mod is not entirely hard to do with some knowhow. Also the PS1 lcd is very thin, probably .25 ~ .5 inches thick including the driver board. and the ps1 lcd also has excellent colors and does not blurr.

5. Castle02

Castle02 What's a Dremel?

I've got the Sony one too. I think I'll hook that one up for my new computer.