1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Final Fantasy VII v Oblivion - RPG greats

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by WilHarris, 9 Jun 2006.

1. riggs

riggs ^_^

Great article, and a damn good point.

Although, I feel you really need to be of a certain age to appreciate the early games. I can't see some 10 year old PS2 fanboy wanting to play anything that isn't 3D..which is a shame really, they just don't know what they're missing out on.

On a side note, I played through 'Castlevania: Aria of Sorrow' on the GBA a while back, and was interested to find out what the other (earlier) games were like (since I'd never really got into the Castlevania series as a kid).
    Started out with the first one on the NES, then onto number II, then 'Castlevania: Adventure' on the GameBoy (which imo, sucked!) and I'm currently working my way through number III (NES).
    Only a few more to play through before I'm onto the Castlevania game; 'Dracula X' on the PC-Engine...can't wait to start playing that one!

2. Juggernaut

Juggernaut What's a Dremel?

Yeah good article! What did he do to his PS2 to play the game that good and sharp looking! :eeek: Those screens are :jawdrop: sharp! I played the game yesterday and it 100% sure didnt look that sharp.

Or am I just seeing things and is it the cropping of the images that made it look that good. If you look at the screens you really see no jaggies! Amazing... Just like the game :D

3. automagsrock

automagsrock What's a Dremel?

FF7 rules. I have played that game at least 100 times. I have always loved it and I always will. Great story, great gameplay, really cool spells and some of the weapons are absolutely devastating.

4. wafflesomd

wafflesomd What's a Dremel?

Man, FF7, what a game :)

I lost count how many hours I put into it, and loved every single minute.

Though i could never actually play it again, idk why.

5. WilHarris

WilHarris Just another nobody Moderator

Some of the screens are pinched from the PC version :)

6. eddtox

eddtox Homo Interneticus

Great article! Although I haven't played either one of the games I can relate to the idea behind it. I love old games because they seem to have had much more thought put into the plot and characters than most games today. Oh, and speaking of Square, has anyone played Front Mission 3?

I think developers ought to release the games as open-source after a while (especially if they plan to abandon them) as this would allow fans of the games to push them forward. As for sequels, have you ever thought "Why did they change that? The original was perfect - just add more story!" I know I have.

-ed out

7. yahooadam

yahooadam <span style="color:#f00;font-weight:bold">Ultra cs

strangly enough, i havent played FF7, i didnt get it to work in my PS2 when i "aqquired it" and i dont really want to go find a copy to buy, but ive played FF8, and ive herd mixed things about it, personally i love it, i think ive played it about 8 times, and never got to the end (lol - i allways end up formatting and forgetting to save my game) so ive got near the end of disc 3, but not onto disc 4 (which sounds kinda sucky :( )
    Anyway, the classic games are awesome IMO, FF8 is great, and after you play for 30 mins you forget the graphics look like crap compared to modern games

8. Piddu

Piddu What's a Dremel?

FF7 was great! great story great characters and in 1997 there was nothing like that... i can still remember every game stage with the 2d scene and my blond spiked Cloud running around engaging random combats.. the FMW sequence were also fantastic( just to remember a pair of them the intro sequence and Aeris deth) ... and don't forget the sound track one of the most beautifull music heard in a game...

9. dream caster

dream caster just lurking from out there

Final fantasy VII has 3D graphics where Final Fantasy VI has 2D graphics with several depth levels and a point of view simulating 3D, but FFVI has much more lively colors and prettier graphics; FFVII has some more spectacular graphics not when you move your characters, but in espers animations; all in all I prefer FFVI graphics.

The story line,and let's say, characters character are way better in FFVI than in FFVII; I did not care for other Playstation released Final Fantasies.

I've replayed FFVI, never thought of doing that with FFVII.

10. yahooadam

yahooadam <span style="color:#f00;font-weight:bold">Ultra cs

how does FF8 compare then, the graphics on that are pretty reasonable, and the cut scenese look good too (funny switching from 1 quality to another though) theres quite alot of FMV's in FF8, its funny, beacause i have the pc version, whenever it used to play a FMV, it would have to spin up the cd (kinda warning you your gonna get an FMV)(the drive would time out inbetween and the disc would stop spinning)
    But now i run it off a virtual drive, so its seamless, funny though, there are still very small load times

11. Paradigm Shifter

Paradigm Shifter de nihilo nihil fit

FF8 had textures, rather than just gauraud shading, so it was a step forward. I actually thought FF8 looked better than 9, but 9 did seem to be a return to the series 'roots' when it came to music, look, feel and storyline.

I loved the FMVs in 8, but then there was little about that game I didn't like. :hehe:

12. Guest-2867

Guest-2867 Guest

Wow, FFVII, what a game :D

The only game that i've ever had more fun with is chrono trigger for the SNES, if you've never played it, do yourself a favour and grab the cart off ebay or something, I loved every minute of it :rock:

13. mikeuk2004

mikeuk2004 What you Looking at Fool!

Another boring thread.

I bought FFVII when it came out and played the first 5 mins and thought that I wasted my money. Such a boring game.

Dont see the appeal. I love the film though.

14. LEAX

LEAX What's a Dremel?

if you want i could upload chrono trigger + snes emu somewhere .. just PM me :thumb:

FF7 is the best and will be the best FF from all FF for me, the music is great, graphic was cool (i had P 150mhz 3dfx Voodoo rush... when i played it), the story was awesome and long, chracters were super, it was funny too and mooore
    Ive seen FF:ACH and it was great addition to FF7, ive downloaded (aaa warez :worried: ) soundtrack from FF:ACH and i keep listening to it all the time im on the pc.... music is another factor that made FF so super ... hhh when i completed the FF7 i heard the victory song in my head for like one week :D

15. LEAX

LEAX What's a Dremel?

i played FF8 too but the system was soo srewed up that i closed the game :wallbash: .. graphic was good and movie sequences were good too (ive seen them because my brother was playing this game till end)
    hmm maybe i will try to play it :)

16. Firehed

Firehed Why not? I own a domain to match.

I'm still looking into getting that victory theme for a ringtone. Man was that an easter egg in the movie :hehe:

I've got something like 8GB in Final Fantasy music (mp3s, so about a billion songs), quite possibly every soundtrack for evey FF game, plus some stuff that Nobuo did independantly (Black Mages, 20020220, etc), and listen to quite a bit of it regularly. I actually spent more to import the FFVII soundtrack ($50ish) than I did on the game (b-day present, but $20-25 at the time) :jawdrop: I was just a tiny bit bitter that the orchestrated Aerith's Theme wasn't on the OST, but I "found" it somewhere else. Honestly, that must be one of the most moving video game tracks ever.

I'm tempted to try getting some of the sheet music and then steal a piano. A keyboard just wouldn't do it for me.

Of all things though, that's why I couldn't really play the PC version. The music was just so wrong. Same idea, but about a tenth the quality, really empty and hollow and bleh. Considering the original version was probably in midi for all but A One-Winged Angel (Sephiroth battle w/ Latin chanting), it would have taken all of two megs on the CDs.

Meh... rambling. I'll have to blast it while doing some modding (window-breaking blast, since I'd have to hear it two floors down over a dremel cutting steel) :thumb: :dremel:

17. allforcarrie

allforcarrie Banned

18. LEAX

LEAX What's a Dremel?

hh yeah that was so funny part :D ... hey try to cut out the music from game or from the film :thumb:

i have the victory song from FF6 its like that from FF7 :
    http://www.share.am/dl/502591961/06 - Fanfare.mp3

i have much soundtracks too so i will try to find the victory sound :rock:

19. leviathan18

leviathan18 What's a Dremel?

wow what can i say i cried when aeris was killed by sephirot the game has some great character developing and you can feel them as a real person telling you what happened really was pretty nice game in top of my list next to zelda ocarina of time

20. Paradigm Shifter

Paradigm Shifter de nihilo nihil fit

I've got the Original Sound Tracks on CD to all the FF games except X-2 (terrible music) XI (because I've never played it) and I (because I can't find it anywhere...)

When it comes to the fanfare music, VII is definitely better than many of the other games. :)

Tags: Add Tags