1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

HP5-SERVER

Discussion in 'Project Logs' started by Defyant Mods, 5 Jun 2006.

1. Philipp

Philipp What's a Dremel?

The idea with the adjustable LCD-Panel is really nice :) Although I think it's a little bit fancy for a server it looks really good. :thumb:

2. G4m3R_X3r0

G4m3R_X3r0 What's a Dremel?

thats just crazy awesome!!!

3. Defyant Mods

Defyant Mods Multimodder

Perhaps the coolest feature of this LCD mod is that it has "Remote Control" Features!

There are many controlable features from the remote but perhaps the coolest ones are the one/off , selectable inputs!, + video out!am radio! and......
    Remote control lights! this will alow me to switch lights on and off using the Remote! this should work in very handy when any maintinance
    needs to be done or for light features!

[​IMG]

The remote light control is fun to play with! testing here with a single blue LED

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

With the daughterboard hooked up and the unit powered you can see the remote selectable inputs!
    The son has already twigged that the XBOX can be hooked up to the second input :)

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

And a qick bootup into windows to test both LCD's!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

4. Defyant Mods

Defyant Mods Multimodder

Now that the front LCd is mounted, it's daugter board need a a home as well!

[​IMG]

The oprif plab was to mount it @ the side of the case, where the access to the upper HDD's screw mounts are.....

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

This would just prove to be a pain... and a better position was found.
    With a little bit of fiddling and a few mm's to spare the LCD daughter board was squeezed and guled into place between the LCD and Lower Fan.

[​IMG]

This solution actually works much better! keeping the whole unit as one!

The Fans 120's are connected to the 5V rail, this still moves plenty of air and keeps them nice and quiet.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

The Front LCD as seen before is REMOTE controlled! i needed to work this function into the front of the case.

The simple solution was to just drill a how to allow the signal to pass thru the front of the case.

[​IMG]

To fill the hole a small peice of tinted plex is "wittled" to shape, rather than just glue a peice to the back i decided make the peice sit flush with the front of the case.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

The ruff edges are filed smooth

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

The window is poped in for a "looksee"

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

The panel is poped back on the case and the Quality Control Cheif is brought out for some stringent pruduct testing!!!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

5. modsquad

modsquad Grease Monkey Undergraduate..

That's HOT...
    An LCD display is a great addition to this project, and very well integrated into the front panel..excellent work..

6. chase

chase What's a Dremel?

Looks really professional yet again defyant ;)

7. yahooadam

yahooadam <span style="color:#f00;font-weight:bold">Ultra cs

wow man those have been integrated into the case soooo well :) looking forward to your next great idea :)

8. _Dan_

_Dan_ What's a Dremel?

nicly done yet again is that just a grinding stone u were using on your dremel to shape the plexi?

9. Jipa

Jipa Avoiding the "I guess.." since 2004

I still don't know why you need a LCD in server for.. let alone two of them :F

10. TTmodder

TTmodder Hammertime

it's only some server applications that doesn't need a screen. besides it's a good "bling bling" factor with lcd's in the front

11. Defyant Mods

Defyant Mods Multimodder

hehe cheers TTmodder :thumb: and thanx guys :) !

jipa it's just modding mate! :dremel: you gotta try and lcd mod sometime :thumb: if all my mods were done with "pratical" in mind i'd prolly never post :D

The side screen will save a TON of dektop space and is prolly one of the best ideas ive seen for a server mod.

The front screen will display continous info..temps..net info...diags etc.

Remember the server is being purpose built to suit our needs :)

Last edited: 13 Jun 2006
  12. olly_lewis

olly_lewis What's a Dremel?

The remote control for the LCD screen is a nice features and the screen itself fits well into the cas front, the black to creme paint finish add interest to the case, are you going to add anything else to the front panel, in terms of logo's, LEDs in the fans etc.
    By widdling down that plastic piece to fit in the gap for the IR sensor shows that you have an attention for detail and if you keep doing that then it'll be so professional it'll look great...
    BTW where did you get the LCD, and how much? Was it avalible with and without a remote?

13. Brubacker

Brubacker What's a Dremel?

Awesome mod ( again! :D )
    I was amazed by the fact that your idea was exactly what I had designed, but then a little bit bigger ( like a cube with 8 x 120 mm fan in the front panel instead of a tower with 2 x 120 mm in the front )
    Great thing using 2 LCD's, are you going to disable the larger one when you're not working at it? Or are you going to show something on it ? (you could try faking a see through panel? )

keep up the good work !