1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Modding switch question

Discussion in 'Modding' started by Noobkiller, 14 Jun 2006.

1. Noobkiller

Noobkiller What's a Dremel?

I found this online and wondered, "is it possible to take the motherboard lead for the switch and wire it to this.

2. The Bart Man

The Bart Man What's a Dremel?

You could you use this divice to use it as your power switch?!
    I think it would not be possible because this device allows you to switch an 12V divice on and off with the remote. The problem you have with using this one as a power switch is the absence of power. You need power fore the switch to make it switch (to react on the remote).

This one uses the power supplies 5V always one line to power the device to allow it to use a remote as pwr switch. (This one )

I hope you are helped with this information!

3. DougEdey

DougEdey I pwn all your storage

I *think* this may be able to be connected to the WOL connector on most boards.

Else, pin 9 is +5V_SB this is the standby connector which powers the Little LED on most motherboards.

4. Sherk

Sherk What's a Dremel?

I'd recommend hooking it up to the +5Vsb line for power, it really shouldn't eat that much of your standby current... although you have to think it's a remote control to turn on and off a device, so you'd have to hit the button twice for a momentary connection to turn on, if you hit it once, the power would keep turning on and off (about every 4-5 seconds). An AT PSU could be powered on with a standard switch, but anything ATX is momentary.

5. scifi3018

scifi3018 Minimodder

The device you showed is not what you want.
    1st it runs off 12v, so unless you have a dc-dc inverter on the 5v_sb line, i doubt it would work
    2nd, this is similar to a light switch, in that it allows something to be turned on or off, but i dont imagine that the mobo needs 12v to turn on. In fact, reasoning would go to say that its less than 5v, because the mobo is running off that when the switch would be pressed. All the switch does is connects two pins, which the model you showed would not do so easily... if at all.