1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Motors Argh electrical gremlins

Discussion in 'General' started by xen0morph, 15 Jun 2006.

1. xen0morph

xen0morph Bargain wine connoisseur

Yesterday my car run out of fuel, so I had to move it on the starter onto the pavement (not sure if this is related or not, but I've started noticing this since then). When the ignition is switched on my dashboard has started clicking, about every 20 seconds it goes 'tick', the dashboard lights dim slightly for a second, then 'tick' again and it goes back to normal. it's almost like it's trying to turn something on then tripping because the load is too high, like the electric windows or something (but it's not these because they work fine). I'm fairly sure it's not the glow plugs as the 'click' that the glow plug light makes when it turns off is completely different, as with the airbag light. also the heated rear window has stopped working - the button doesn't light up when i press it - so maybe it's something to do with this? it does it no matter if the engine is running or not. please help as i am clueless.

also i've pressed every button that's pressable on the dashboard and it still does it so it's not something that's stuck on.

not sure if this is related but my blower fan also doesn't work.

it's a '93 cavalier ls td 1.7 and i'm at my wit's end with it, it's the best car i've ever had but THINGS KEEP BREAKING!!!!

2. Ab$olut

Ab$olut What's a Dremel?

its vauxhall :hehe: theres your problem

3. ufk

ufk Licenced Fool

best place you can look is probably on http://www.vauxhallownersnetwork.co.uk/, what that bunch don't know about vauxhalls probably isn't worth knowing, there is loads of info on electrical stuff there

4. NiHiLiST

NiHiLiST New-born car whore

Not sure about the tick, but the things that aren't working could be something as simple as a blown fuse, I'd check them out.

5. Freedom

Freedom Minimodder

Ticking could be a relay. if memory serves me right the fuse box in vaxhalls of that age is in driver side od the dash

6. brianpodskalny

brianpodskalny ladies night!

what exactly did you do to get the starter to pull it off the road. shorting the bat + to the terminal on the starter? happen to hit anything on the way down?

i had similar problems with an old truck of mine, turned out that i shorted the battery cable to the exhaust (it fell on it and was melted to it) and it fried a whole buncha wires all over the thing in the process.

i seems that you have a short my friend. have fun! get some wiring diagrams, figure out everything thats not working, and how they are related. its alotta trouble, but its not impossible.

7. xen0morph

no, it's a manual trans without the clutch lockout switch so you just turn the key while it's in gear. my car has dodgy earths though so it might have fried something...or it might simply be a dodgy relay. am looking into it :)

8. xen0morph

oh, and the things that aren't working only intermittently don't work. sometimes (not very often though) the entire car refuses to start, and i have to jump the negative to the engine to get enough of a ground to let the starter turn. it's maddening i tell you :eyebrow:

9. Guest-16

Guest-16 Guest

Sig, twice as long as needs be. Loose PC crap or emo poem, pleeeeeease :)

You sure it's just not rusted/erroded electrical joints? My car takes a bit of scratching on the joints before I can get enough of a metallic surface to jump start if it needs it.

Tags: