1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Nintendo DS Lite

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by WilHarris, 21 Jun 2006.

1. WilHarris

WilHarris Just another nobody Moderator

2. rowin4kicks

rowin4kicks a man walked into a bar ...

wow i swapped my psp for a ds and several great games, i love it soo much more than the psp, and i didn't even use the psp's video and audio functions so i didnt miss it much
    but the ds lite looks amazing i think i will sell the ds for one of those!!!! :jawdrop: :jawdrop:

3. oddball walking

oddball walking ...!

I was thinking about which to get not that the light is comming out my mind is made, light for the win.

4. FILTHY1337

FILTHY1337 Senior Overclocker

i belive 2 pics are missing from the top of page 2, great review.

5. sgtpeppa

sgtpeppa What's a Dremel?

The four games you choose as examples for the DS really are strange. Only one of them is an AAA title, and two of the others are pretty awful.

The console's full of great games, why mention pap like super monkey ball when there's animal crossing, metroid and phoenix wright to shout about (not to mention the many must-have games only available on import)?

6. riggs

riggs ^_^

Nice article.

It's probably worth mentioning that the homebrew/emu scene is slowing taking off with the DS (although, nowhere near PSP). I can currently play NES, Megadrive, GB/Color, and SCUMM games on mine...very cool.

Out of interest, have you noticed any yellowing around the buttons yet? Mine looks awful...

7. Veles

Veles DUR HUR

Yeah I've heard on the white version after you play it for a while you get yellowing around the buttons.

I've never bothered to buy a handheld since my original gameboy, but I think this new DS is starting to turn me.

8. Arena_08

Arena_08 What's a Dremel?

got my black lite preordered :D Roll on friday!

9. Marquee

Marquee Mac Pro Modder

I still wont by a DS. But Nintendo is a great thinker. I like the game plays they come up with.

10. cebla

cebla What's a Dremel?

yes you do get a bit of yellowing around the buttons, but its nothing that you can't clean off. You get the same thing on mice and keyboards to if you let it build up enough.

11. Guest-16

Guest-16 Guest

Anyone else who has one find it incredibly small and painful to use for long periods?

12. Neji

Neji What's a Dremel?

A little but there's an easy solution to that; go and do something else! :)

13. GuardianStorm

GuardianStorm Minimodder

am i tho only one who liked the orignal DS's looks?

although i think the new one is an improvement :)

14. Glider

Glider /dev/null

Like the looks, but just don't have the time nor money to play it... Therefor I won't buy one... But if I did, the DS or DS lite would be the ones to choose from... PSP is too... fragile...

And Nintendo rocks [/fanboy] ;)

15. Lazy

Lazy Meow?

not including a bit on the vibrant homebrew scene for the nintendo ds seems to be a large oversight!

(p.s. I read it while trying to revise at the same time, so apologies if you did actually include it and I missed it)

16. Asphix

Asphix What's a Dremel?

I bought a PSP on release. I thought the original DS was too ugly to consider. When the DS Lite launched in the US.. i picked that baby up right away and so far have been addicted.

Its a great piece of kit, as the article states. I am impressed beyond description with its design, and as the article points out, the games are fun! I love my PsP, but I use it more as a media player (mp3, self-encoded TV shows and Movies) than a game machine. The best game I've played so far on the PsP has been Megaman Powered UP.

On the DS, there are 4 titles that jumped out at me. Mario and Luigi: Partners in time, Castlevania, Advance Wars Dual Strike and New Super Mario Bros.

I bought them all and love them all. The new Zela is another I will own from day one. I dont fancy Metroid Prime : Hunters all that much as FPS on a handheld along with the linear level design doesnt really do much for me, nor does the heavy focus on multiplayer. Same goes for Mario Kart, I feel to get the most out of Mario Kart you need to play multiplayer. As no one I know owns a DS and I lack a strong desire to be compeditive my preference leans toward single player games.

All in all, if you're looking for a portable game player the DS lite is the device to get! I love it and its worth every bit of money I paid for it! The only thing I miss on the DS is the analog stick found on the PsP.. but thats a luxury thats easily overlooked when considering all the device offers. (and best of all, NO UMD!!)

17. olly_lewis

olly_lewis What's a Dremel?

Great review, I have to agree with the old stylings of the DS and the revample "iPod" chique look of the Lite, great design and the ergomonics of it should be improved also, with the smaller footprint and wieght slighlty reduced. I thought the design of the original was ugly as hell, and therfore bough a PSP. I am a fan of both consoles but I only bought one, also becuase of the PSP's media functionality it was a better choice for me.

But the DS Lite is one hell of a little gaming machine, expecially with the optional addon hard drive from Action Replay and their company, if i had the money, i would certianly purchase a little DS Lite

18. Guest-16

Guest-16 Guest

links.

19. Arena_08

Arena_08 What's a Dremel?

thats how you get 16 thousand posts! :hehe:

ps i want links too :p

20. riggs

riggs ^_^

DCemu is your best bet.

[edit] Just noticed a minor error; the GBA:SP has a side-lit screen...it's the GBA Micro that's backlit.

Last edited: 21 Jun 2006
Tags: Add Tags