1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Modding Stargate Iris Thing

Discussion in 'Modding' started by Minty_Fresh, 26 Jun 2006.

1. Minty_Fresh

Minty_Fresh What's a Dremel?

First of all, hi :) w00t first post :D
    I'll give the full intoduction in a more appropriate place...maybe when I post up my worklog but anyway :D back to the matter at hand.
    Anyone watch Stargate SG-1? Well....I do (only sometimes though) :D and does anyone see the coolness of the Iris on the gate?
    Here's a little picc'y from wiki:
    [​IMG]
    How amazing is that? :D
    Does anyone know how one of those workds? and/or how to make one?
    Starting my case and all I'm saying is that this could be a very integral feature :rock:

Thanks
    Minty_Fresh

[Edit] : Spelling :sigh:

2. dastt

dastt What's a Dremel?

i think i saw a reserected thread from years and years ago about this. alot of people were trying to make one for a mod project but i think it was deamed to difficult and eventually left for dead. try using the search

3. AJB2K3

AJB2K3 What's a Dremel?

Heres a little hint.
    Have you looked at you camera lately?

4. Minty_Fresh

Iris

Camera? :hehe: I'm all digital, but looking into it...WOW, it's an iris :D
    Thanks alot :rock:
    Sorry about if there are iris thread floating about, i tried a search but it didn't come up with much :sigh:

[Edit] :
    Regarding the iris thread, I am a blind fool and missed This little Nugget
    Thanks for your help and fast replys :D Great site!

5. olle

olle What's a Dremel?

How big shouldh it be?! Here in sweden were I work with ventilation itheres tings called Iris shutter´s thats changing the air flows... They do not close fully but almost...

6. Minty_Fresh

Side Panel

I was thinking of having it as the siede panel/window, although viewing the long (outdated :hehe: no pictures/diagrams!) there MAY be some size restrictions
    if you have any more stuff on those shutters it would be greatly appreciated :p
    by the way, i found this Great site with flash animations, not quite the stargate iris, but a) is still as uber coool anb b) achives full blackout :D
    Here's a Linky
    If you go to the very last animation, that is the kinda idea :thumb:
    although it does not seem to have any schematics, measurements, or angles and stuff, so would be very hard to reproduce :wallbash:

thanks all
    Minty_Fresh

7. olle

olle What's a Dremel?

8. AJB2K3

AJB2K3 What's a Dremel?

I found a lens ages ago and it had an iris operated by a leaver that moved 3mm.
    wow the diameter of the lends was 80mm.
    im supperised noone else has take a look at a camera.
    The iris link looks cool.

9. scifi3018

scifi3018 Minimodder

Ive played around with the iris's at the theater i work at, and they are very easy to play with for wasting time...

However, i imagine that unless you know of a theater tech, that an iris will be pretty expensive to obtain.

10. Splynncryth

Splynncryth 0x665E3FF6,0x46CC,...

VVery few mechanics were discussed in that thread, though IIRC, someone demonstrated a paper model at one point but kept the design a secret. I had some drawings for something I never did get a mock up made for to test it's function. I seem to remember something about it being potentally very ugly. If I still have that drawing, I'll post it.

11. OtakuHawk

OtakuHawk What's a Dremel?

BEHOLD

the power of Google.

halfway down the page you get a decent idea of how to build one.

here's another way you could do it only using some flexible rubber tubing. (you'd need more depth in the case though.

I actually have a few Iris assemblies from some spotlights my college's theatre was throwing out. exactly like the first link, and just the right size for 80-92mm fans.

no, I'm not selling them.

12. Minty_Fresh

thanks for all your replys :hehe:
    as Splynncryth mentioned very few mechanisms were discussed in that thread, as most of the diagrams are missing :wallbash:
    after scouting armound a bit i know how they work (finally, took a while over diagrams, scratching head) but could i just get a to scale diagram, and then scale it up?
    I've herd there are a set of rules like "the blades must be an even number" and "must be a relative thickness/size to the circumference of the hole" :blah:

Thanks again
    Minty_Fresh

13. olly_lewis

olly_lewis What's a Dremel?

That link seems to give you a clear and decisive tutorial on how to make one of those things, i watch Stargate and i've always wondered howw one of those things would work, for some time I though that is was all science fiction, but come to think of it, it does resemble and operate the same way as a camera, an old one, but still...

I am tempted to try and give that a go, but as metioned, there are few sites and easy to read, and follow guides and descriptions, just have to keep on looking...

14. will.

will. A motorbike of jealousy!

i think the one in stargate has been made a bit pretty with the way that the spikes cross in the middle when closed, giving the effect of a flower or something... But its deffinately possible if you simpllified it.

15. GuardianStorm

GuardianStorm Minimodder

16. Splynncryth

Splynncryth 0x665E3FF6,0x46CC,...

Wow, that second link shows something very similar to what I came up with. The challenge now is making enough identical leafs to make it work.

17. elctroJunky

elctroJunky What's a Dremel?

I think I figured the first link out...
    And I think it actually isn't that complex. The hardest thing would still be to build identical leafes (but that would be the case with any other arrangement). So here we go.
    As seen on the picture you'll need the leafes one static plate and one moving plate.
    the leafes need two axles, one for the rotation and one for translation.
    the rotational axle needs to be mounted on the static plate (of course free to move in terms of rotation)... [that would be the darker dots on the leafes in the link...]
    the second plate has some "longer" holes in it, that are set up in an appropiate angle. the translation axle of the leafes must go into these holes.
    [according to the link, that would be the brighter dots on the leafs going through the bright holes in the -Blade actuating ring-]

When the second plate moves a force is applied to the second axle of a leaf, causing it to rotate, as that's the only way to go (because the first axle is mounted on the static plate, only free to rotate... nowhere else to go...).

I think now you get the picture. Although the method of driving each leaf with a seperate servo seems to be easier at the first glance, the real iris mechanism is far more ingenious and not THAT complicated on a second look!
    I would give the REAL mechanism a try. First try it on a paper model and see what problems you'll have to face in a later design, then go for the real thing.
    Should be easy for you skilled guys ;)

18. Bubolzm

Bubolzm What's a Dremel?

if i remember correctly there is an old style kitchen tool that was domed shaped and did the exact same thing.

19. will.

will. A motorbike of jealousy!

i think you are refering to a fold up collander. you could squish it flat for easy storage... Unforutunately it relys on bending the metal, and would look very flimsy.

20. Captain Slug

Captain Slug Infinite Patience

A vegetable steamer? No, those fold in and out like a collapsible satellite dish.