1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Pirates of the Caribbean: Dead Man's Chest

Discussion in 'General' started by Lazlow, 7 Jul 2006.

1. Lazlow

Lazlow I have a dremel.

I did a quick forum search, but it seems no-one is talking about this film!

It was released last night (06/07/2006) in the UK.

Anyone been to see it yet? What did you think of it?

More information at the IMDB here.

---

I pre-booked my tickets last week and was pleased as the cinema was pretty much full - a rareity for Lincoln's ODEON.

The film is brilliant, better than the original I personally think and it kept me entertained throughout.

2. mushky

mushky gimme snails

I'll probably go and see this for a bit of light hearted fun. Johnny Depp cracks me up and I could stare at Keira Knightley all day. Not very academic reasons but they will do.

3. Lazlow

Lazlow I have a dremel.

They're good enough though!

Both characters will crack you up through the film - Keira gets more screentime and gets down n' dirty too...

4. atanum141

atanum141 I fapped to your post!

I need to go and see this!
    Capt. Jack is a legend!

5. Shippo

Shippo What's a Dremel?

I went to see this last night and i have to say i enjoyed it more than the first. The action scenes are great, and Captain Jack is funnier in this film than the first i think. A bit of a cliffhanger at the end to lead onto the third was pretty cool i thought.

There were alot of scenes in this film that remind me of the Monkey Island games lol. Perhaps that where they got some of their ideas from?

6. Lazlow

Lazlow I have a dremel.

Spoiler!

Did you notice Barbossa's boot earlier on when they first visited her hut and Jack gave her the monkey? He was lying down in the background.

7. Shippo

Shippo What's a Dremel?

Yes i did, but i figured at the time that it was just something laying there, the connection never came till the end of the film lol

8. Solidus

Solidus Superhuman

great movie! Really fun and enjoyable to watch although they tried to make the jokes more obvious in this one whereas the first movie relied on subtle jokes for the audience to get.

Still great however. GO WATCH IT!

9. Buzzons

Buzzons Minimodder

its an awsome film! Stay to after the credits for another funny bit (much like the bit at the VERY end of the first film (monkey!!)) Stunts are wicked, script is fantastic, only bad thing is Miss Knightly is wearing too much :p. As good as the first, and can not wait for the third.

10. Lazlow

Lazlow I have a dremel.

Latest news is that Pirates has taken £2.3m here in the UK on its release day. A record for Disney - more information on the BBC site.

11. Kaboom22

Kaboom22 Minimodder

"There were alot of scenes in this film that remind me of the Monkey Island games lol. Perhaps that where they got some of their ideas from?"

Yea i noticed that too, especialy when they rowed up river to talk to the "voodoo lady".

12. CaseyBlackburn

CaseyBlackburn Network Techie

Well I saw this movie yesterday at around noon. I really liked the movie, but it was weird, I must've been up too late beating Half-Life 2 in 2 days that I was trying to keep myself awake during the movie. But I really did enjoy the movie.

13. osirisofwraiths

osirisofwraiths What's a Dremel?

i was suprised at how long the movie was, but it was very good... i cant wait for the next one

14. CaseyBlackburn

It wasn't really that long considering that movies have been starting to get longer than they used to be. It was only 2 hours long, I like them long, allows for stuff not to be sqiushed in a shorter time, but sometimes they want to make them long but do not have enough movie to do it so it gets boring.

15. Lazlow

Lazlow I have a dremel.

You must have fallen asleep then :yawn: as it was 150 minutes long (2 and a half hours).

The weird thing is that it felt a lot longer than the first. But according to IMDB, Dead Man's Chest is only 7 minutes longer. I guess they managed to fit a lot more into the 2nd?

I'm planning on seeing this at least another 2 times while it is still in the cinemas, as I went to see the original 6 times, spotting new things each viewing...

16. CaseyBlackburn

Hrmm, or I just get numbers switched up alot more than I thought.

17. Krikkit

Krikkit All glory to the hypnotoad! Super Moderator

Excellent film, a bit of a shame about the cliffhanger at the end - I'm sure it's a monstrous story, and needs a 2-parter... :D

As ever, Johnny Depp provides an awesome Cpt. Jack, inspired. :D :)

18. supermonkey

supermonkey Deal with it

I suppose I'll be one of the few dissenters. I thought it was decent enough. It was good summer action movie fare; however, I don't think it quite matches up to the first. There were several points during the movie that I hope have significance in the 3rd film, otherwise they were fairly pointless. I thought Dead Man's Chest took too long to get going, and the action wasn't sustained long enough; too much going back and forth for me.

This was a very different film than the original The first film was very witty, had a great combination of action and humor, and flowed very well. The second film was much, much darker than the first, had less humor, and didn't seem to flow as well.

The swordfight on the island with the old church (the one with the waterwheel) was one of the best parts of the film, and what other action there was, was done well enough. Overall a good film, but not quite as good as the original.

-monkey

19. Lazlow

Lazlow I have a dremel.

I partly agree - as the movie begins and you see Keira kneeling in the rain, I thought it was an odd way to start and was a bit slow.

20. Uncle Psychosis

Uncle Psychosis Classically Trained

A C&P of my review from another forum:

The short version:

Just been to see it. Unmitigated turd. Don't bother.

The long version:

The plot stinks, it's over long, the jokes aren't funny, the fight scenes are boring, and it seems like they've said: "what would be a good stunt? Ooh, I like that, right, how can we work it into the plot?". The only redeeming features are the music and the lovely Keira Knightley (but if I wanted to spend £4.50 solely to look at pretty ladies I'd buy a copy of Playboy---and the articles would be more interesting than this film ;))

Sam