1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Cooling New to liquidness

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Alekin, 7 Jul 2006.

1. Alekin

Alekin Minimodder

Hey guys. Ive finally decided to take the plunge, pun intended :worried:

To mark the inevitable death of my poor 7900 ive decided to buy some new shiny bits for when the RMA returns.

I already have an athlon 64 tdx with half inch barbs.
    The graphics block im lookin at is the Danger Den Koosah block and the rad is going to be double or if i can squeeze it in a triple Black Ice GT. The only limiting factor with that is the space between the top of the case and the psu with the fans on it. The case is a thermaltake shark, if anyone has watercooled one, input would be greatly appreciated :)

The pump and res i have no idea about so im open to suggestions.

Thanks for looking guys.

Alex

EDIT: Been doing some browsing and ive found a shop that sells the Innovatek Fass-o-Matic and the 5.25" mounting panel so that looks sorted for the res.
    As the barbs on it are 1/4" can i replace them with 1/4" to 1/2" converters? or would it restrict the flow enought to need to re tap it with 1/2"?

Sorry if that makes no sense, ive only really started getting into WC recently.

Alex

Last edited: 10 Jul 2006
  2. LVMike

LVMike What's a Dremel?

no need to retap you should be fine, the radiator wont be your constriction the tdx will be. lang pumps are nice and use what ever res will fit even a DD fill Port with res will be enough.try and squeeze the triple in and swap in some lower noise fans.

3. Alekin

Alekin Minimodder

Thanks for the reply mate. Ive decided on the innovatek res, nice and slick. Why will the TDX be a restrictor in the loop?

Alex

4. LVMike

LVMike What's a Dremel?

its going to be More of a restriction than the 1/4 barbs on your rad because water is passed through its accelerator plate made up of tiny holes. Thats why it would be pointless to retap your radiator. just use an adaptor or find 1/4 threaded 1/2 barbs, they do exist (I think)

5. Matt_Ingram

Matt_Ingram What's a Dremel?

When it states the holes as 1/4" that doesnt mean the barbs are gonna be 1/4". hole sizes are measured in radius, not diameter, while the barbs are measured in diameter. So the 1/4" tapped holes are in fact perfectly sized for 1/2" barbs. The thread in the holes on the Fass is in fact the same size as those on your TDX and BI GT.

6. Alekin

Alekin Minimodder

Thanks for the replys guys. Ive measured up and im pretty sure the triple rad will fit with about a 2mm to spare between the bottom of the rad and the psu. Its gonna be a tight fit but i love a challenge :D

Can you take the accelerator plate out of the TDX? I know you can get other plate designs so is it possible to remove it altogether if its going to restrict the flow?

Lastly, where can i get all the bits to bolt it all up. M4 bolts etc?

Alex

7. Fr4nk

Fr4nk Tyrannosaurus Alan !

The top left blue fitting is what you want for your Fass-O-Matic, Also I think it would be a better idea to keep teh accerator in there :thumb: also what pump are you going to buy/ bought ?

8. LVMike

LVMike What's a Dremel?

removing it would defeat the purpose of the block, it is an accelerator block, not a "stream" if you take the plate out (yes it is removable) then you basically have a ****** maze 4 block. the restriction isnt a big deal as long as you have a pump that has a good head height rating to make up for the constriction.

9. Alekin

Alekin Minimodder

Fair enough, i think ill leave it in then :p Errm pump wise im not sure. The Laing D5 seems to be everyones choice. The Danger Den Mag II looks nice but i havent yet found any reviews on it. So its looking to be the Laing.

Im kinda gutted with the rad, i measured up again and dropped an email to paul at coolercases and the triple is not going to fit. No matter though as im sure a double will be way enough to cool the proc and graphics.

Does anyone know what the DD Koosah block is like, im after one for the 7900. Thanks for that Fr4nk, i was a bit confused at what i needed for it.

Where abouts can i get bolts and such to mount the rad and fans? Its one thing im really stick with, Cant seem to find M4 bolts anywhere. Id prefer torx style ones but anything will do really :)

10. LVMike

LVMike What's a Dremel?

double post. sorry

Last edited: 13 Jul 2006
  11. LVMike

LVMike What's a Dremel?

You may not find m4 in torx, aircraft parts supplies MIght carry them. most radiators are taped or drilled for an m3 or m4 bolt. that will be your best bet. if yours isnt tapped then you can use self tapping "fan" screws or tap it yourself.

The Koosah is a fairly new block but i wouldnt expect the performance to be that much better than the other gpu block they offer. yes the double will probably be more than enough, but you may need to push a few more cfm through the rad.

The DD mag 2 is a csp mag pump that they have re branded (if i remember) but as you live in the UK grab the Laing Ultra (or what ever their top one is called now) WITH THE PLEXI TOP, not the plexi res. top mount one of your bards and plug the other intake and you will have one killer pump.

12. Alekin

Alekin Minimodder

I got a bit impatient and bought the rad, fans and grill and they arrived yesterday morning. It came with screws and such so its not too much of a problem. im gonna have a go at mounting it sometime tomorrow with any luck.
    I found a guy on ebay that has hoardes of nuts and bolts so ive picked up some m4 threaded allen bolts and some nuts incase i need them.

I tried one of the fans out and it didnt seem to push much air. I guess with two it will be alright though. How can i get more air through the rad? Aside from getting different fans?

That pump looks a bit mean, im liking the look more. I think it will fit better in the case being the shape that it is. Being about the same price as the D5 you have suddenly shifted my preferance :)

What gpu block would you reccomend? Will the NV-78 Rev 1 Fit or will it need to be the Rev 1.1?

Thanks dude

Tags: