1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

It Works!

Discussion in 'Tech Support' started by Callum, 12 Jul 2006.

1. Callum

Callum What's a Dremel?

Well after the continuing problems with my computer, that most of you will probably have seen (there were enough threads, that's for sure :D), I resolved to end the problem for good. So I completely dismantled the computer, and put it back together with one stick of RAM, the processor, graphics card and one hard disk. I zero-filled the hard disks, then reinstalled Windows again. And again. And again. Installing drivers in different orders, and reinstalling whenever there was a problem. Which started happening more and more frequently. I tried on the other hard disk, the other stick of RAM, both hard disks, both sticks of RAM, a hard disk from another computer, with a wireless PCI card, with a wireless USB card, without a wireless card.

And the problems kept happening.

Finally, I got sick of it (as I had reinstalled Windows I don't know HOW many times), and decided to make one final effort. I installed Windows, my chipset drivers, my video drivers, and benchmarking software. I ran Super PI 1M, no trouble. But when I ran 32M, Windows told me that the program (both instances of it at the same time) had encountered a problem and needed to close). I restarted and tried again. Then I checked PC Wizard for temperatures. My hard disk was at 62'C!

Now, my hard disks are sitting on the shelf, with my wall fan pointed at them, and I ran Memtest for 8 hours, Super PI 32M, Prime95 for 8 hours, and OCCT for an hour. It seems stable now.

A big thank you for all the help I recieved, even if most of it turned out to a different problem.

Hopefully there'll be a few less threads cluttering up the Tech Support forum now. ;)

The hard disks on the shelf is obviously just a temporary solution, until I buy hard drive coolers.

2. Stwongbad

Stwongbad What's a Dremel?

Maybe if i take my gfx card and stick a fan to it that may help my problems >_>

How do you not notice your HDD is at 62C??

3. ElThomsono

ElThomsono Multimodder

;)

Glad you got it sorted, nobody ever cools their HDDs :(

4. Stwongbad

Well I guess there must have been an air pocket in his case and his HDD could have skyrocketed after a couple minutes

But 62C!!! You cant notice that!! when you saw the temps did you look in the case and say "I dont have red LEDs....O_O!!!"

5. ElThomsono

ElThomsono Multimodder

The time hounered "touching it without having to pull your fingers away" always semmed to work for me.

But 62 degrees is ridiculous, although I've had hotter ;) They seem to be perfectly happy with 35, which is as high as case temps really get without other things breaking.

Callum, how were your HDDs mounted that they got so hot?

6. Stwongbad

yep I normally do that when i think my vga is runnin hot...and yep! it is hot!

My HDDs normally run about 35C and they seem pretty happy at that!

7. DougEdey

DougEdey I pwn all your storage

Thats what MBM5 is for. I have two 80mm fans over mine and they still run at 32C

8. Max Tractor

Max Tractor Minimodder

An intake blowing over HD is what I always try and go for

9. Callum

Callum What's a Dremel?

Yep, touch test was the second thing to check. Can it really be that hot? There's no way it can be that hot. Simply no way that... "OWWW!"

But erm, to be fair to my hard disks, and case (a Coolermaster Centurion 5)... it was my fault they were that hot. :blush: In the case, it was about 50'C. That's the Caviar, the Raptor was a little cooler. They were sitting in the bottom two drive rails, adjacent (as one of the tool free things didn't seem to work), but with the 80mm intake fan over them.

However, I then took everything OUT of the case, in order to repaint it. I stacked it all neatly on the shelf, and my hard drive was at the back, behind the power supply and motherboard, enclosed. The problem was only compounded when I connected the other hard drive, and stacked it on top of the first without thinking.

But on the plus side, the paint is going well! :D

10. TheoGeo

TheoGeo What are these goddamn animals?!

heh, i have the same case, both my drives are at the bottom too since the graphics card doesnt allow them to go any higher. The included 80mm fan allows them to run at 30 to 40 degrees though.

11. Callum

Callum What's a Dremel?

You live in England. I live in Malaysia. Ambient temps are higher than 30 ;)

12. TheColdLord

TheColdLord What's a Dremel?

Glad you where able to resolve the problem, that hdd temp is way of the chart, you had luck, it could've malfunctioned at that temp. I recomend u buying a hdd cooler, I have one and it is great, Vantec Vanessa. Well good luck on the paintjob and post some pics when it is ready :D :D :D

13. Stwongbad

I live in so-cal so its normally above 90F in my room and I know how you feel with the high ambient temps >_>

14. Callum

Callum What's a Dremel?

I'm going to go down on Monday and ask about ordering through the store a pair of any of the CoolerMaster CoolDrives, or the Zalman heatpipe coolers. I can't seem to find the Vantec site on Google... Assuming there is one.

TheColdLord: of course... except I only have a webcam. :p Not even an analogue. I'll see about borrowing though ;)

15. MrC

MrC What's a Dremel?

There's a problem with the firmware on some of the 250GB Caviars where the SMART reports a higher than normal temperature, its possible that it will be that. It's mainly the 2500JS and 2500KS that have the problems.

Just do a quick search on google about it.

16. Callum

Callum What's a Dremel?

Well, others seem to have the problem where they are reported high temps, but the hard drives aren't hot. In my case, the temperature of the drive actually was very high: I couldn't touch it.

17. Hazardous

Hazardous What's a Dremel?

Indeed there is :thumb:

Dunno how you couldn't find it in Google though tbh :confused:

18. Callum

Callum What's a Dremel?

Ah... Hmmm... I think I tried searching for Vantec Vanessa... As I tried www.vantec.com, but wasn't interested in the RC cars. :p

Thanks

19. psYCHopath

psYCHopath What's a Dremel?

Malaysia is hot but not untill hard disk temp can go so high la

i know a place that sell hdd cooler at RM15 below. :thumb:

@MrC
    thanks for the SMART problems info :rock:

20. Callum

Callum What's a Dremel?

Well, clearly they can, if you are as stupid with them as I am. :p

I, also, can get HDD coolers for RM15, but like I said, they're just a fan on a mounting system. Unlikely to make much difference I should think.